Author Topic: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West  (Read 181899 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West
« Reply #420 on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
It is hard to believe it is now 12 years since Kathleen was murdered and still no suspects. I don't know if there was any memorial service held for her this year or not. I feel that someone that lived on the base or was visiting military may have gotten away with murder. There are always people moving in and out of the area and they could have been there for a short period and moved on. Kathleen was on her way home, so I don't believe she was killed elsewhere, I believe the crime happened in the place where she was walking. Someone was following her and that is what I believe happened.  I have visited Belleville and know where this area is, I have a family member that lives there. I sure hope that this case does not go unsolved. When a long period of time goes by with no arrests, it is very distressing for the family. They feel that it will never be solved. I think they should review all of the evidence they have with fresh eyes and see if anything was missed, a clue that they may have overlooked. RIP Kathleen and I still pray that your killer is caught. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ohwowsolong

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
I was friends with Kathleen for the short time she was in Ontario. She moved in with her aunt and uncle who were stationed in Trenton and she happened to live next to by two best friends. That's how she got integrated into our group. I remember she got the job at Stream and was doing well. The night she died, she left my other friends house and decided she rather walk home than take the taxi. It was about a 45 minute walk and most of us always took a taxi but Kathleen was very active and didn't like taking the lazy and easy way out.  Out of that 45 minute walk, her body was found just about 5 minutes away from her aunt and uncle's house. Chilling to know she was almost home.

I remember two days after that incident. I had to go to school and pick up prom tickets. My school was right by the base and I saw it all blocked off. We didn't know what was going on till later that night when we got called by the police and interrogated since we were the closest friends she had made. It was a life changing day and will always be inbeded in my mind. At 17, you are carefree and you don't think things like that will happen to you (She was 19 but we were all 17 the other 3 girls and I.)

The police kept coming back every summer, asking us back in for further questioning but we really had no idea about her life in Cape Breton or even the people she met while at Stream, so we were sadly never any help. I know they looked into different avenues, but for us we always and I still firmly believe it was someone from the base that was passing by Trenton and was long gone by the time the investigation started. Every urban legend twisted around by town folks was always about someone in the military.

For anyone reading this that knew Kathleen, one of the investigators told me during one of the interviews, while he couldn't give me details on how or what was used, he did tell me she didn't suffer. My interpretation of that is maybe she was knocked unconscious before anything happened, but it's brought me a little comfort thinking she at least didn't suffer or realize what was happening to her. :(

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
We can only hope the police were as thorough in questioning the military residents as they were in questioning Kathleen's teenage girlfriends.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Long Gone, I do believe at the time that Kathleen was murdered, that there were a lot of military persons in the area from out of the country. It was suspected that it could have been someone that was passing through that committed this crime. There are other murders that are unsolved in that area. A random act of violence, possibly and the hardest thing to solve are those kinds of crimes. :o :o :o

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 11, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »

Bumping this one up!!

This is quite the mystery. So many posters from the area.  Great discriptions of the area at the time of Kathleen's death.  I can't stop reading it.
Someone did get away with murder.
We like to believe that justice will come in all murders.
Sadly, this is not always the case/jb

Hi to all writers
I too live in Trenton and I drive by the cross almost daily on my way to everywhere. I would like to think that I am not the only one that takes a look and says a sad hello to Kathleen. The stretch of woods where the cross is IS dark. Yes, there are houses on either side of this wooded area but that SPOT IS DARK. What the folks in NB don't realize is that the dividing line between the Base and Trenton is this woodsy park area. City houses, then dark woodsy area, then Base houses, Trenton on the west, the Base on the east. The Zellers that everyone is talking about is to the south of the cross on the other side of the woods. The woods are big enough to have deer and fox residing in them.
We will will not go anywhere in Trenton alone, day or night. I think we have had 5 local murders in 5 or 6 years. As far as I know only Kathleen is unsolved so that means the OPP do do their job with what they have. In fact...either Kathleen or another girl Jennifer (whom I used to babysit) were the first of the sad list that was started...Sarah Martin being one of them as well. These two murders were committed by men known by these young girls and they were caught. And, as someone on here mentioned, that is usually the case. I hope that the investigation is delving into who Kathleen was hanging around at the time but since the other two were solved I assume they are. It is all so sad and appalling....but no one has mentioned that Trenton and Belleville are considered the drug capitals of Ontario...not a word of a lie. Was Kathleen robbed as well? Money for drugs or booze could be an issue here too just as easily as someone from the Base being involved but we won't know until we do know. I really believe the police are doing their job..sometimes it just does not happen quickly and I am sure they are upset about that too, they know what people are thinking and saying...but rest assured they did get the other two guys. I sure hope it gets solved soon as everyone does here in this area. And yes, Kathleen's simple white cross is quite visible for all to see and yes, her name does keep appearing in our local paper...maybe it is only on the anniversary but ask anyone in this area and we all know her name and what happened to her.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 11, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
I too always think about Kathleen's case, because she is a Cape Bretoner and we were all upset to hear of her being murdered while staying with friends in that area. I have family members who are living in Belleville at the time and my sister attended her vigil which they had for her some time ago. It is very hard to believe that so many years have gone by since this happened, it seems like a year or two and here we are into 16 years since this crime.  I do remember the facts of other outsiders being in the area at that time, they were related to the military. Apparently they were there for military exercises and it was felt maybe it was someone who did just commit a crime and they were flying out of there the next day. It almost seems that is the case, because it is very unusual that someone did not come forward with information.  By now someone would not have been able to keep this a secret.  I would ask anyone who is in that area and has any knowledge of this crime, please contact the police or crime stoppers and give your information. Her family wants the person brought to justice and just ask why you would take this young woman's life.  Thoughts and prayers to Kathleen's family and we all hope for justice in this matter. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 24, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
God love her heart;

Whoever did this to her might think they are safe from paying for their crime..... but when they least expect it, maybe, they will realize they are trapped in their own guilt.  Kathleen's spirit is free, but her killer/s will be tormented by the reality of what they did and what they are.... until eventually, karma kicks in and reels them in....  takes them!!! 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 19, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
So glad they haven't forgotten Kathleen and that they did publish her murder and reward in their news story. :o :o :o :o