Author Topic: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West  (Read 181900 times)

amIam

Re: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »
Cape..no this is the very first Base service at least that has been published by the media.  In other years just Kathleen's mother came and met with a local journalist and discussed the case and commented that the base was less than forthcoming regarding info but the OPP were great.
Nothing in the local paper last year.  Waiting at the moment to see if the local paper, the Trentonian writes something.  If so, I will post the link.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Am do you think that it was a military person who did this?  As you know, I am an ex military brat, however Trenton is a base "like no other" in our country.  It is a main hub of dispatch of not only equipment but also of personnel.
(I always felt secure on the bases that I lived at - however on passing through the Trenton base, it was like no other that I had seen before)

Overnight stop overs at Trenton with personnell passing through to their postings,  I think would be common??
Any military out there that can confirm the fluidity of this base?

PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:32:46 PM by jellybean »

Seeking the Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
Cape..no this is the very first Base service at least that has been published by the media.  In other years just Kathleen's mother came and met with a local journalist and discussed the case and commented that the base was less than forthcoming regarding info but the OPP were great.
Nothing in the local paper last year.  Waiting at the moment to see if the local paper, the Trentonian writes something.  If so, I will post the link.

This is the third memorial service.  There was one on the 1st anniversary and on the 5th.  At least according to the article in the Intelligencer which is here:  http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3169800

Just curious, amIam, did you go to the service?  It sounds like it wasn't well attended -- the article says a small group.  You have stated many times that you live in Trenton and I thought that since you have always taken a special interest in this case, that you might have gone.

Also I thought that someone had pointed out earlier in this thread that the reason why the military are not forthcoming in this case is there is nothing to tell her.  The case was taken over by the OPP and they are the ones leading the investigation.  What would the military have to tell Mrs. MacVicar?  Even if the OPP keep them apprised of any new developments, it is not up to the military to reveal them.  This would be up to the OPP. 

amIam

« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Am do you think that it was a military person who did this?  As you know, I am an ex military brat, however Trenton is a base "like no other" in our country.  It is a main hub of dispatch of not only equipment but also of personnel.
(I always felt secure on the bases that I lived at - however on passing through the Trenton base, it was like no other that I had seen before)

Overnight stop overs at Trenton with personnell passing through to their postings,  I think would be common??

PEACE
JB

Hey JB I have read both from you and from many others the reference to " military brat" or "civie"...I have always wondered the difference..are military brats and civies considered different people in the former military world?

I have known a number of individuals from other provinces who were posted here and couldn't wait to leave.  And yes, overnight stops  were and still are common.

Seeking the Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »

PEACE
JB

Hey JB I have read both from you and from many others the reference to " military brat" or "civie"...I have always wondered the difference..are military brats and civies considered different people in the former military world?

I have known a number of individuals from other provinces who were posted here and couldn't wait to leave.  And yes, overnight stops  were and still are common.

That's strange.  I know for a fact that Trenton is one of the most popular postings, and commonly requested.  I even know people from other parts of Canada who have elected to retire there.  Of course, the people who don't like something are usually the loudest in their comments.  So they would stand out in their complaints.  That is why it is important to also comment when you are happy with something. 

I do agree that there would be a large number of personnel passing through Trenton on various missions.   Yes, it could be someone who was passing through on the way to another location.  However, considering that Trenton is just off the 401 and the amount of traffic that passes by every day, there is as much chance that it could be a highway traveller who commited the murder.  Or worse yet, someone who is a citizen of the community and is still residing in the area. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
Smoothie, a good question. And also this case should have been a very high profile case. There should have been extra police brought in to help find Kathleen's killer. This is another case that should be gone over with a fine tooth comb, a lot of care should be done to bring this case back into the limelight and get it solved. Does anyone think that this person could have moved out of the area, maybe to Orangeville. There are two violent cases in that area and these all could be connected. I wonder have the police been in contact and checked DNA from the crime scenes and tried to compare them. A lot of violent cases, and these are not large cities. The Povince of Ontario has to step up to the plate and get these crimes solved. Russell Williams was caught. So why was he focused on and we can't find these other killers. The same kind of investigaton must go forward, more has to be done to get justice for Sonia and Kathleen.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Seeking the Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Wasn't she living with her aunt and uncle?  I would think they would be questioned. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 17, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that they were questioned about Kathllen's friends and who she was usually hanging out with, that would certainly be normal procedures, I would assume. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

amIam

« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
Cape, I would imagine Kathleen's Uncle Bob and his spouse were questioned..being as the Uncle was military and lived a stone's throw away from the discovery of Kathleen's remains..not certain as to whether he was questioned by the DND or some member of the former Trenton police force. 

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
Quote:

[/quote]

Just like I thought Am, Trenton base is like no other!! Only passed through there and I didn't like it.
Thank you for answering.  I can always depend upon a straightforward answer from you. I would hope that other bases are not the same - re: murders
Glad that you know service people, and that you see them as persons - not in what they do.

PEACE
JB

( ex military brat) (can't help it, if I grew up in that culture no more than a policemen's, or firefighter's daughter - or a coalminers daugher)
It is what it is. We were shunned as kids by civilians, thus we stuck together - simple.  Believe it or not, it still is the case in 2011 - even considering our soldiers are presently at war. Predjudice still prevails with their wives and their children. Must say,  great strides have been made, but there is much room for improvement. I know,  as I am quite involved with young military familes today, by way of friendship - so sad - and yes, they are families raising their kids like any other, often the difference is that their Dad is away - thus they have to stick together.   They are a small family unit living away from any family support system, eg. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. It is the nature of the beast, however attitudes are changing and it is about time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:00:54 PM by jellybean »

amIam

« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
Quote:

Just like I thought Am, Trenton base is like no other!! Only passed through there and I didn't like it.
Thank you for answering.  I can always depend upon a straightforward answer from you. I would hope that other bases are not the same - re: murders
Glad that you know service people, and that you see them as persons - not in what they do.

PEACE
JB

( ex military brat) (can't help it, if I grew up in that culture no more than a policemen's, or firefighter's daughter - or a coalminers daugher)
It is what it is. We were shunned as kids by civilians, thus we stuck together - simple.  Believe it or not, it still is the case in 2011 - even considering our soldiers are presently at war. Predjudice still prevails with their wives and their children. Must say,  great strides have been made, but there is much room for improvement. I know,  as I am quite involved with young military familes today, by way of friendship - so sad - and yes, they are families raising their kids like any other, often the difference is that their Dad is away - thus they have to stick together.   They are a small family unit living away from any family support system, eg. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. It is the nature of the beast, however attitudes are changing and it is about time.
[/quote]

Hey JB, I am quoting your quote from me, however, yours hasn't taken as such.  I have same problem at times and can't figure why.

Thanks for the explanation, however, I am not certain as to why military people might/have felt shunned. 

I must say though that this base location is a totally different world, perhaps it has much to do with the fact so many other close by communities depend so heavily upon the base employment here.  And is very far reaching in so many areas.   

In regard to Kathleen's murder, it has always been my personal opinion, there are many both civie and military who could have/should have offered info but it is a case of keep one's mouth shut to keep one's job.  Then when out of the military contract/ or employment; things remain the same.

Kinda like what happens in Trenton, stays in Trenton. 

amIam

« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Military men get away with quite a bit ....as long as not too many people are around when it happens.

An old post of yours Lost but well worth repeating.  I have always wondered if anything further developed in that case from way, way back.

amIam

« Reply #403 on: July 19, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
A very old newspaper article, however the most recent I have been able to obtain that mentions facts..which have not changed since Kathleen was murdered.
GLACE BAY - Colleen MacVicar has favourite memories of her daughter Kathleen, who was viciously murdered nearly nine years ago.
"She had tiny little hands and would put them on my shoulders," she recalled Tuesday.
"I remember the feel of that."
MacVicar said although the arrest of Col. Russell Williams, the base commander at CFB Trenton for two murders and two home invasions in the same area, does bring some hope for possible closure, the family is not getting their hopes up too high.
Williams has been charged in the murders of Jessica Lloyd, who went missing on Jan. 28 and whose body was found Monday, and the murder of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 38, who was killed in her home Nov. 25, as well as two counts of forcible confinement, break and enter, and sexual assault in relation to two home invasions in September.
In June 2001 Kathleen MacVicar, 19, was visiting her aunt and uncle at CFB Trenton, when she went missing. Three days later her body was found in a wooded section of the base. She had been stabbed multiple times and sexually assaulted. The case has never been solved.
"I have been here before, thinking we have resolved this in that respect, found the person we were looking for - someone to blame - but it has always fallen through," her mother said.
"Until the police tell me that without a shadow of a doubt that this is who they suspect killed Kathleen, then I am just going to wait and see. I am not getting my hopes up here."
Members of the Ontario Provincial Police contacted the MacVicar family Monday evening.
"The police told us they will be looking into it. They certainly haven't offered us any great hope, we are just waiting to see what is going on, to see if they can give us any information on whether he was even in Trenton at the time - they don't even know that yet.
"They just want us to be kept up in the loop."
MacVicar said it wasn't a heavily wooded area where her daughter was found, more like a thoroughfare.
"There was a street the school bus used and kids would be walking back and forth.
"She was probably 50 feet off the road, right where the grass ended and the woods would start. The guy who cuts the grass was actually the person who discovered her."
Every year, MacVicar travels to the area where her daughter's body was found.
"I go every year at the time she was missing. She went missing on the 13th and was found on the 15th. It is my personal thing, she was alone during that time so I want to be there," she said.
"It doesn't make much sense, but it makes sense to me as her mother."
MacVicar said she has a great relationship with the OPP, however the military has not been co-operative.
"They have been very unforthcoming and closed-mouthed. It makes you very suspicious."
Sgt. Kristine Rae, media relations for the OPP for the eastern region, said the MacVicar homicide has always been an open investigation.
"There has always been investigators assigned to the case. There is still a $50,000 reward posted on our website for information pertaining to that"
Rae said the investigation on Williams is currently focused on the four cases before the court - two homicides and two home invasions.
"Through that investigation we will be looking at other unsolved crimes and reviewing them to see if there are any similarities between those incidents and these ones. The MacVicar homicide hasn't been reviewed yet, but it definitely will be to see if there are any similarities."
She confirmed the cases are all in the same "geographical area."
2nd Lt. Vincent Bedard of CFB Trenton confirmed the Canadian Armed Forces is assisting with the OPP investigation.
When asked if the MacVicar murder was being looked at as part of the Williams case, he said information about all postings in Williams' career is being researched right now.
"That information will be released soon for investigation purposes."
Desiree Vassallo, spokesperson with the Cape Breton Regional Police Service, said at this point they have not received any contact from the OPP regarding the murder of MacVicar.
After MacVicar's death they only played a minimal role, she added.
"We liasoned between the OPP and the family, we helped them in meeting the family locally."
After the murder there was an outpouring of support from the community. Staff at the McKeen Street Tim Hortons outlet in Glace Bay where MacVicar had worked planted an oak tree and laid a plaque in her memory at Two Rivers Wildlife Park.

smontgomery@cbpost.com

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
Are you saying they had a person in mind that committed this crime??? We all want justice for Kathleen, it is a long time and it seems like yesterday that Kathleen was murdered. We do hope that someone does keep Kathleen's name out there and that they do not forget her. :o :o :o :o :o