Author Topic: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West  (Read 177355 times)

solvingmystery

• View Profile
Re: Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered - Quinte-West
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
I am hoping they have DNA evidence in this case. If she was raped there is a huge chance they do have DNA.  I wanted to know the time because I have long suspected someone, it's a long shot, but I couldn't ignore the hunch and have thought about it for years.  I reported my hunch to the authorities this week so I hope they will act on it.  Im also wondering the possibility that someone offered her a ride, and when she told them she lived on the base, did they start driving there but didn't quite make it there?  Or was someone following her, or hiding in the bushes....maybe we'll never know, but I don't think we should give up hope.  I think it's obvious this person has never been involved in the criminal justice system, because convicts have thier DNA tested do they not??

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »
Solvy, my hunch was right then, I felt you had some kind of a feeling. You know, it is better to be safe then sorry. I am glad that you gave your information to someone in confidence. You wouldn't want something to happen to someone else, because of something you didn't tell. God bless and if they did something they will pay and if they did not, they will walk free. It is better to be safe then sorry. Good luck in the future and keep us posted. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Julia

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back to NS, but actually I am from Ontario.  My X was posted here 5 years ago.  I am enjoying the slower pace of Maritime life!
From what I remember, Kathleen was not murdered at the location where she was found.  If she did in fact walk most of the way home, she would likely have walked through the downtown (two - three blocks), over a small bridge, and up through residential areas.  Generally not a dangerous route.   If she took the bridge that is connected to the downtown main street ( I think it is Dundas St ) then she would have passed several bars and at least one adult entertainment club.  I understand that she did not leave her friends house with anyone so she could have been snatched by someone or offered a ride by someone known to her.
I know Kathleen worked at Stream - a call centre in the city of Belleville.  Belleville is about 15 km east of Trenton and it is common for people in both communities to interact.  Stream was located right on the western boundary of Belleville and employed a large number of people.  As with most call centres, employees did not often stay working there for long.  I am more suspicious that this crime was either random, or, committed by someone who was a work acquaintence.  Good point about people moving around on the base.  I beleive Kathleen was killed in May or June - most military postings dont occur until the summer months once school gets out. My sense, is that is was not a military person.
The crime was extremely violent so I suggest that the perpetrator has a history of problems with a woman - possibly his mother.  I believe that they do have DNA evidence from the sexual assault.  Given Kathleens gentle demeanor, I cant imagine anyone who would delibrately want to cause harm to her.  This bring us back to the possibility of a random act. 

solvingmystery

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:53 AM »
I keep checking the crime stoppers site but nothing as of yet :(  How come people are saying she wasn't killed where she was found.  I would just assume she was killed where she was found or very close by because she lived on base and was found on base, and thats where she was going that night - home.  So people think maybe she was picked up, killed and dropped off there?  I never heard anything about that.  Walking alone in the dark for a woman is VERY dangerous.  Trenton is full of weirdo's.  Bad things can happen even in daylight.  I really hope my hunch was right so this can be solved once and for all.  I can only imagine how her family feels after all these years and no suspects! Are the police really doing thier jobs??? I honestly don't think they were thorough enough.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
I don't know why I feel this about Kathleen's death, but I do .... I feel that there was deliberate rage directed at her and that she knew her killer.  ...not necessarily a military person, but someone who worked on the base.  Worst thing here is, what happens with military people "stays with military people".  Seldom does the truth come to light.

xstitchmumof2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
I have lived here in Trenton (also known now as Quinte West as of Jan 1, 1998) for over 30 years.  I drive by the spot on the Base (just off Curtis Road) where Kathleen was found and I often think of her and wish that progress was being made in finding her killer.  For those of you who were wondering earlier, Curtis Road is a straight stretch of road that runs east/west through the PMQs (married quarters) area of the Base - it starts where Dixon Drive ends - right on the boundry of the Base - and ends at RCAF road.  It is maybe 2km long.  It is not a dark, lonely stretch of road and is very well travelled with a 2 parks and 2 schools right off it.  The area she was found is a small treed field directly behind the back yard area of these PMQs - an area where there are many paths that have been well used over the years and lead to the Zellers Mall off highway 2.  The night of June 20, 2001 was quite warm and a lot of us locals have always wondered how it was that no one heard or saw anything going on.  We figure some of the residents of the PMQs must have had their bedroom windows open that night so surely someone must have witnessed something if she was attacked there?  The Quinte West PD and later the OPP have always refused to provide ANY info as to what exactly happened - COD, whether or not she was sexually assaulted, where she was attacked, etc which has lead to a lot of fear over the years as to what exactly happened.  Most of us feel that the OPP have failed big time in this investigation and the killer has gotten away with it.  The local media brings it up every once in a while especially on the anniversary of it happening and all we ever get is that it is still being investigated.  The only thing we know is that she was visiting friends on the other side of town and they were able to catch her image on store security cameras in the downtown presumably walking back to the Base.  Most locals feel she was probably attacked off the Base and then placed where she was found later.  Most locals also feel she was picked up and attacked by someone she knew and trusted and maybe worked with?  I hope this does get solved one day soon to give her and her family and friends some peace.  We try to keep her memory alive here and there is a cross on the spot where she was found and people often leave her flowers.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
xstitch; if you people don't have the right to push for results here, then who does? >:(  Anywonder you are anxious as to the COD....she may have been killed (by someone she knew and/or trusted....and ergo...they might have done this awful crime out of ear/open-window range ...then dumped her lifeless body in this particular area.  If the authorities are sitting on this file...leaving it lifeless, all hands should demand some further action.  If they can't solve it, they should at least answer as to whether they have some DNA evidence ...which they have not yet acted on.  How are people going to offer tips or help, if the authorities are waiting for the killer to just come forward? and not putting out some info. that could jog people's recollections of that time, and any (out of the ordinary people or happenings around at the time)
For example:
- was there any evidence on her body that was not exactly from the place she was found?
- if there was a rape or particular type of MO, then people around there would have a better idea of who would do that kind of thing.... since it probably was a "local" ....maybe a "newly planted local" with unusual temper or habits that stuck out.
- if the authorities are waiting for traces of the killer to surface, that's not likely to happen unless he does it again.... so why not push them (through the press, to release some information which would allow the public to "notice" any little detail that, while being meaningless to the investigations, could mean something to you local people.)
just my humble opinion, but I say gather some local concerned folks, and have a press conference, expressing your dismay at the lack of progress in this case.....leaving the public nervous for it to happen to another.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:31:35 AM by lostlinganer »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
I feel that there are not many qualified investigators in the Belleville area, Quinte-West. I have family living there and as I am aware there have been more then one murder that has happened in the area that has not been solved. I think they need to do a re-enactment of the crime and really put the pressure on to find out what happened to Kathleen. Somebody knows in that area what has happened. A criminal always ends up telling someone, drinking or smoking up or confides to someone. I would say after this period of time that someone in the area absolutely knows who killed Kathleen. A little fear tactic may cause someone to come forward. I mean in the larger cities, they know just how to solve these cases. They need to start from square one again and investigate every person that was initially questioned. The answer is there. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alwayswondered

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
Hi, My husband was based in Trenton at that time. We lived in military housing one block's walk from the site and my place of business was on Dundas behing the grove of trees on Curtis where she was found. I could see the helicopter circling for the investigation the day she was found from the back window of my business.

My children were attending Breadner Elementary school at that time and had to walk by the site. All we were told until three days later was that it was a death by 'heat stroke'. The day the news of the murder was officially released I was horrified as our children were still walking right by the site to get to the park and to school.

The section of Curtis where she was found at that time was a grove of trees on the lake side of the road and a rather barren hill and some woods backing military housing on the other. The houses start about a half block on either side of the site along curtis. It's not a huge isolated stretch (about one block), but the grove itself is rather isolated.

We always heard rumours, but nothing I would dare repeat. I'm sure the police heard the same information as well.

I still check periodically to see if there is anything new on this murder. Especially as my daughter is approaching the same age Kathleen was at the time. 

I grew up on this same base when my dad was in the military and I can remember several incidents - i.e. rapes, robberies, beatings, drugs, etc. happening at the hill site (we called it Hermit's hill at the time). I had thought it was a lot more peaceful and cleaned up when living there with my kids - boy was I wrong!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
Alwayswondered, thanks for an update on Kathleen's case. The police may just be connecting dots and may not have enough evidence to charge the person. Sometimes it takes a long time to bring someone to justice. Hopefully they are still investigating this case. Like I said previously, they should go over everything and question those who were initially interviewed and see if the stories are still the same.  ??? ??? ??? ???

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.

It seems to me, the place the body was found then would be known pretty well to locals and that is about it. Being in a place with a lot of mostly single men in there younger years, I am sure a lto of wild stuff happens and hopefully one of these guys will come forward one day and give the police what they need.

chances are, someone knows something but did not say anything then.

lilacorn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
Hi to all writers
I too live in Trenton and I drive by the cross almost daily on my way to everywhere. I would like to think that I am not the only one that takes a look and says a sad hello to Kathleen. The stretch of woods where the cross is IS dark. Yes, there are houses on either side of this wooded area but that SPOT IS DARK. What the folks in NB don't realize is that the dividing line between the Base and Trenton is this woodsy park area. City houses, then dark woodsy area, then Base houses, Trenton on the west, the Base on the east. The Zellers that everyone is talking about is to the south of the cross on the other side of the woods. The woods are big enough to have deer and fox residing in them.
We will will not go anywhere in Trenton alone, day or night. I think we have had 5 local murders in 5 or 6 years. As far as I know only Kathleen is unsolved so that means the OPP do do their job with what they have. In fact...either Kathleen or another girl Jennifer (whom I used to babysit) were the first of the sad list that was started...Sarah Martin being one of them as well. These two murders were committed by men known by these young girls and they were caught. And, as someone on here mentioned, that is usually the case. I hope that the investigation is delving into who Kathleen was hanging around at the time but since the other two were solved I assume they are. It is all so sad and appalling....but no one has mentioned that Trenton and Belleville are considered the drug capitals of Ontario...not a word of a lie. Was Kathleen robbed as well? Money for drugs or booze could be an issue here too just as easily as someone from the Base being involved but we won't know until we do know. I really believe the police are doing their job..sometimes it just does not happen quickly and I am sure they are upset about that too, they know what people are thinking and saying...but rest assured they did get the other two guys. I sure hope it gets solved soon as everyone does here in this area. And yes, Kathleen's simple white cross is quite visible for all to see and yes, her name does keep appearing in our local paper...maybe it is only on the anniversary but ask anyone in this area and we all know her name and what happened to her.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »
Thanks for not forgetting, we down east are always wondering about Kathleen's case and hope they are investigating relentlessly, because such a long time and no arrests or no news of anything about the case down this way.  8) 8) 8) 8)

amIam

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
I am also a resident of the city of Trenton, where Kathleen MacVicar was murdered.  I remember the day very well.  My heart goes out to her family, I cannot begin to imagine their pain and suffering.
I have been reading through the posts from others from Trenton and they seem to have so much more information regarding Kathleen's murder than has ever been made public. To the best of my knowledge, no cause of death was ever stated and yet some have said she was stabbed. Someone else stated there was evidence she had been killed elsewhere and her body was dumped in Middleton Park.  Someone else remarked that store video caught her on tape, someone else commented Kathleen attended a party on Cresswell Dr and walked the distance to Middleton Park and went on to comment it's a ten minute walk.  To walk to Middleton Park from Cresswell Dr., would take at least 30-45 minutes..at a fast pace.
I am just wondering where these people obtained all their information as Trenton Police and the OPP have never made this information public. 
Personally, I believe Katleen was murdered by someone from the CFB Trenton base, as someone else commented, should that be the case, her death will never be solved as the military will cover it up.  The military has a very long history of covering up..just look at Alexander Kalichuk.   

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:11 PM »
I too in my armchair detective work as I call it, believe Kathleen was murdered by someone in the military. It was stated that she possibly was killed somewhere else and her body placed where it was found. I think the dribbles of information that you are hearing and being place on here are possibly true. There is always a leak in the PD. And also they maybe just putting some of the clues they know of out into the public, because sometimes a murderer cannot shut his mouth. He will drink and get loose lips and possibly say, no, that is not what happened. There is another young lady missing from the Belleville area and she has not been found. I haven't checked as yet to see if there is any new information today. We urge anyone who has information about Kathleen's murder to contact your Crime Stoppers in the Belleville area and give your information. You may save another life, even though you may think your information will not make a difference. The slightest clue can break the case wide open. Please come forward, somebody knows who did this crime. And as we understand it, she was stabbed to death, that was stated in our papers down here in Cape Breton as well.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???