Author Topic: The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette | Canadian Cold Case On CBC  (Read 30158 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Re: The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette | Canadian Cold Case On CBC
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
Don't bikers, or some kind of organized crime usually like to do that kind of thing....send homemade bombs?

Im_new_here2

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
Im not real sure ..but its the letter thats key and what wayne was going to do for a new job I think now its been a while but if u read the letter u will understand u can find it somewhere  . I think he was leaving a job to start his own buisness and it was kinda a side buisness to what he was allready doing but on his own he was really cash in and a few guys from his normal job her upset about what he was doing i think thats how it went..again u have to refer to the letter when u read it u will see what i mean if i remember right they tell him what they are pissed about and that they work with him so they had to of had some good suspects right off the bat i dont think bikers were involved at all i think it was all just over this new buisness and old coworkers...

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:36:16 AM »
I really think the authorities should try to take a look at this again.  .... I know they can't open every cold case, but I would think an exception when they are dealing with someone making a homemade explosive device like this.  I think the key is the missing old smith corona elec. typewriter with the flaw on the "." key.  I know it's probably buried in a land-fill by now, but if they have suspects at all, they should be able to check with the SCorona people about who sent in the warranty cards.  Most people did it way back when those smith Corona elec./s came out.  .... Even offices where people work in factories, businesses, etc. used to send in their warranty cards.

On top of that, they have profilers now, who can form good opinions on people just by the way they express themselves.... the tone in their words, the choice of words etc.  I think the right cold case people could nail this one if they wanted.  ....plus, people like to brag about knowing how to build any kind of bomb.... so going public with a reward offer might bring in the right "tip"..... the public just need a good fresh reminder!

techdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
I remember someone back in the 1980's said they use to find blasting caps on their property .Could this possible be a connection ?

Im_new_here2

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
IM no cop and Im not pretending to be one nor do i have all the facts but from what i do know there is no dought in my mind that this case could be solved however i think all the work thats gonna solve this is gonna come from forensics and dna costs us money and i think that is why this case is still sitting in the cold case files ,

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
 Is anybody connected with his old business a former combat engineer/reservist? Last time I checked one could not buy plastic explosives at Home Hardware. Also, what type of plastic explosive was it? Was it C4, PE4 or Semtex? The use of each could indicate a different source, a different motive and a different type of suspect.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:59:03 PM by sherlockholmes »

techdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
Some farmers are allowed to buy explosives in the states someone said for specific purposes with a permit.Is it allowed here?

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
military person
miner ("shot-fire")
demolition contractor (work on infrastructure...highways etc.)

..just my opinion here:

have access to explosives.... if one were to go into the province's "licenses and permits" site, it might list what types are legal/controlled use (maybe different levels of permits for different explosives). ...although since it was used for murder, it was probably "stolen" from an opportune location.  still the technical skill was necessary, but not the permit ....again, I think the police just don't seem to care about this having happened??? 

...the maker of the device was probably only paid to make it ... so "no conscience"?

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
The critical issue is the type of explosive and blasting cap being used. Without knowing the details, we can only speculate...

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
(I wonder how many we have detected in these threads that were from explosives at the door. Any similarities?)

There is now a $50,000 reward. (I see there use to be a $75,000)

The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Wayne Richard GREAVETTE.

On December 12, 1996, Wayne GREAVETTE received a package in the mail at his/a residence located at Lot 27,   Concession   10,   Puslinch   Township.   The package contained an explosive device secreted in a flashlight that detonated and killed him in the presence of his family.

Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for this murder should communicate immediately with the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police, at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, or their nearest police authority.

Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.

CIB Case File 955-10-1996-208

This reward will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services for the Province of Ontario and the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Julian FANTINO Commissioner 777 Memorial Avenue Orillia, Ontario Canada L3V 7V3 Date: May 27, 2010 Telephone: (705) 329-6950 Facsimile: (705) 329-6077

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/255015225.6.pdf

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
I am not sure about now but I know when I was a kid my Father used to by dynamite and blasting caps as we had an area of the farm that was solid rock and he had to blast the rock in order to clear land.  Dad had no special license or anything was just a farmer so I am thinking it is available to people that need to clear land on farms etc as well JMO

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
I find it odd that there was an explosion like this. Seems it would be easy to trace when targeting suspects, their purchases, and their internet research, if you will. It doesn't appear to be a fire bug in play as not to many of these occur in the country. So, it appears to be a hit of some sort, doesn't it.  Here are the other notable explosions I've found.

Here are other notable explosions in Canada as of late:

Parcel explosions:

I recall a disabled Innisfail woman was killed in an apartment explosion in November 2011 still has me mind-boggled.  (See http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5536.msg80851#msg80851 ).

House explosion threads on this site include:

Jeffrey Leveque, 20, Kingston, May 2, 1989 - http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=4663.msg55841#msg55841

Brantford House explosion, killed Nancy Grasso, August 2011. Cause of explosion undetermined at time of story http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/08/26/brantford-house-explosion.html

Edmonton House explosion, killed three, thought to be "suspicious," June 20, 2010. Possible meth lab explosion. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2010/06/20/edmonton-house-explosion.html and http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/826336--deadly-edmonton-house-explosion-suspicious-say-police?bn=1

House explosion, Tumbler Ridge, BC, killing one man, May 2009 - natural gas line tampered with. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/06/01/bc-tumbler-ridge-explosion.html

Dynamite explosions  include:

Jeanne St. Germain, 50, Vanier, June 24, 1970 - a blast rocked the defence department building in the middle of Ottawa, around the time of guard changes. http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=5540.msg80235#msg80235

Business explosions:

A device exploded in downtown Toronto Tim Hortons, April 2006 - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060402/ts_nm/explosion_dc

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »
The documentary on this case that I viewed awhile back indicated that Wayne had skeletons in his closet that his family did not know about until after his murder. There were a variety of people who could have had grudges against him on account of business dealings and extramarital affairs apparently.

Trouble445

• Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »
dec 2009 CBC documentary on this case in two parts:
Who killed Wayne Greavette?
Part 1
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/1239665812/ID=1359676073
part 2
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/1239665812/ID=1359666409
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:40:05 PM by Trouble445 »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
I will be interesting if WG knew the men that are charged in Barrie with having a large amount of bombs that were made by them. I would say the police maybe looking very hard at this case. They may have sold items to other individuals. Once they start checking their accounts at the bank and telephone records, they maybe able to solve many crimes. :o :o :o :o :o :o