Author Topic: The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette | Canadian Cold Case On CBC  (Read 30893 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
THIS JUST A HORRIFIC CASE THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT. Wayne was a special kind of person on his job site and he worked for a company for some time. He left his job with feelings not so warm. Wayne was murdered by a homemade bomb that was planted in a flashlight which he received in the mail. A note was found that was typed on a typewriter and there are quite a few clues with that note. I do not know how to paste a site on here so you can go to it, but it is Spidernet unsolved crimes. He moved to a place called Moffatt, Ontario at a farm. There are pictures on the site of him and no one has ever been charged in this horrific murder. I don't think I remember it and there couldn't have been much on the news about it. This surely sounds like a personal hate for Wayne and it sure sounds like someone was jealous of his ability to do the work he was doing and that he was such a success at it. Anyone here from Ontario have any views on this. This is just horrible and it is such a cold case now. Sure hope someone has some clues on this one.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette | Canadian Cold Case On CBC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
capeheart; to paste a site or reference of something you copied (which you must do so as to not plagiarise) just do 1 of 2 things:
1.  you can, while you're here posting, go to that site (from your favorites) ...then highlight what you want to paste....in the case of a link, you park your cursor up on the http:// at top....the address will turn blue...right click...choose "copy" then use your "back" button "extreme left top arrow" to come back to where you're posting and just park your cursor ...right click and choose "paste"....it's that easy     or.....
 2. you can minimize the screen here by clicking the minus sign on above extreme right.....(this page will just sit at the bottom of the screen in blue.....then bring up a second explorer just to get to the site you are going to paste from....and do same as above --highlight what you want to paste....in the case of a link, you park your cursor up on the http:// at top....the address will turn blue...right click...choose "copy" then use your "back" button "extreme left top arrow" to come back to where you're posting and just park your cursor ...right click and choose "paste"....it's that easy   

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:23:07 PM »
Good instructions!

Or you can post a link and i will copy it over. This is weird, that is a very odd sounding case.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:55:06 PM »
mauve; I couldn't reach that spidernet at all ...only thing I could find was a bit in a unsolved site where I found this interesting little tidbit:

http://www.unsolvedmurders.ca/wg_article1.htm

Police hoped they could flush out letters people may have saved that were typed on the same machine or font used to create the letter accompanying the package bomb that killed Greavette at the family's Concession 11 farmhouse.

The letter, which surprisingly survived the blast, featured a key flaw: a back slash after a period. (.\)

The letter was produced on a Smith Corona typewriter equipped with a daisy wheel 10/12 font sold by the identifying number 59543. The typewriter was marketed under a variety of brand names, while the fonts were sold under the Smith Corona label in department stores.

The letter may have been a ruse to put the victim at ease. It was from a non-existent company seeking business with Greavette, a machinist selling bottled water from natural springs on the family property.

mauvelilac

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:30:49 PM »
Ling thanx for refreshing my memory.  Thanx too for the link.
Some parts of the letter sent to him suggests the killers had trouble locating him so that means it couldn't have been mean't for anyone but him. I still say his ex partners might have wanted to shut him up. He may not have been involved with anything criminal but that doesn't mean he wasn't exposed to someone in his past who was. Maybe he was the type of man who had the philosophy, "Live and let live." His killer couldn't take the chance he'd keep his mouth shut.
If the letter survived the blast, as the article suggests there should be fingerprints or at least partials so this may eventually be solved. The typewriters probably long gone at a yard sale or something of that nature. Maybe at the bottom of a pond even.
Tragic, just tragic. It overwhelms me the depths of sorrow on this site.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
your instinct and mine, mauve, both say he was a descent sort walking away from something.  I don't particularly feel he "knew too much:"  I feel they either thought he knew more - weren't sure but couldn't risk it - because he wouldn't "take part" or accept a particular idea - which resulted in contempt and mistrust.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for commenting on this case. I have not been online much this week, I am really busy and couldn't read and contact on any matters. I just love commenting and such. I will try and follow up what you said Lostlinganer. I am really busy doing work on the computer, ie. making money at a job I am doing and haven't got time for my hobby. I do feel that possibly Wayne was targetted from his work. This was brutal and I will try and find that site, maybe I had the wrong name, I just came upon it by accident actually. Will put some more info on when I get a chance.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:04 AM »
Sound good capeheart, we really enjoy you around here.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »
Hi, Chris, I did find the name of the site it's called Crime Spider, sorry about the wrong name. If you type that in you should get that site and possibly it connects to others. I came on it by accident, but the storey is there about Wayne. There are others there also.   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:37:31 AM »
Thanks capeheart, yeah I have seen that site. Pretty good.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
Interesting.

The killer had knowledge of plastic explosives which indicates some form of military or demolition training.  The killer obviously knew this person either first or second hand.  So there appears to be intent to harm or kill with an obvious disregard for anyone else.

Why the Domain D'Or cask?  Was the killer a cheap ON wine drinker who happened to have a package handy or, as a clue, was it a ruse?

Where did he live before he moved to the farm in Moffat because it appears that the killer had tracked him to that point so any reference to motive would include a point prior to the Moffat move.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 03:48:44 PM »
Canadian Cold Case
A series by David Ridgen
Episode 2:
The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette
Airing on CBC Radio One's "The Current", Friday December 11th, 2009 (8:30 a.m.)

Airing on CBC TV's "The National", Sunday December 13th, 2009 (10 p.m.)

CBC Radio One's The Current, Dec 11th @ 8:30 AM (The Current)
     And on Sirus Satellite Radio 137 (Sirius Schedule)

CBC TV's The National, Dec 13th @ 10 PM on the Main CBC Network (The National)
And on CBC Newsworld (check local listing here Newsworld Schedule for Sunday Dec 13, 2009)

CBC Online: www.cbc.ca/coldcase

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:46:40 AM »
It's great that cBC is featuring some of these cold cases! Hopefully people will watch and call in with leads giving these families some justice.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
The Government of the Province of Ontario together with the family of the late Wayne GREAVETTE are offering a reward in the amount of seventy five thousand dollars ($75,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of Wayne Richard GREAVETTE.

On December 12, 1996, Wayne GREAVETTE received a package in the mail at his/a residence located at Lot 27, Concession 10, Puslinch Township. The package contained an explosive device secreted in a flashlight that detonated and killed him in the presence of his family.

Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for this murder should immediately contact their nearest police agency, the Wellington County Detachment at (519) 843-4240, or any Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122.

This reward will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services for the Province of Ontario and the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Julian Fantino, Commissioner.
777 Memorial Avenue, Orillia, Ontario, Canada L3V 7V3
Date: February 13, 2003 Telephone:   (705) 329-6950 Facsimile:   (705) 329-6077

http://204.41.1.10/Intranetdev/groups/public/documents/investigative/opp_000956.pdf

Im_new_here2

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
If i remember correctly and i think i do after wayne quit his job he recieved a letter that was clearly from someone from his old work . so they had the suspects i highlly dought many new how to build a flashlight bomb so that should narrow it down again ,and now adays with hand writing analysis and dna just all the new techniques iam really dumbfounded as to how this case has not been solved i really am.. there is no reason that in this day in age with what the perp said and did they almost certinally narrowed it down to a handfull at most and now with all the new tools there is just no way they couldnt have found a print or some dna somewhere and made an arrest in my oppinion..