Author Topic: Unsolved Missing in Ontario  (Read 36567 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Unsolved Missing in Ontario
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:23 AM »
Ran across this information on a press release today. Kudos to the OPP for compiing this information and making it transparent. Kudos to them even further for partnering with the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario (OCC) to allow comparison of info that thus far resolved 36 missing persons cases and 11 unidentified remains. This is progress. More, please.

The OPP Missing Persons Unidentified Body Unit (MPUB) has developed a partnership with the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario (OCC) to allow for comparisons of OPP information on missing persons with OCC data on unidentified remains. Since 2006, 36 missing persons and 11 unidentified remains cases have been solved through the "Resolve Initiative." Utilizing current web-based technologies and allowing public access to certain information, the Resolve Initiative has become a highly-valued tool to maximize the potential for locating missing persons and identifying found human remains, providing 1,434 tips for investigators and prompting 8.3-million hits to the www.missing-u.ca website.

As of April 30, 2011 there were:

6,873 people listed on CPIC as "missing" in Canada;
1,340 of those are listed as "missing" from Ontario;
329 of those are missing from OPP jurisdiction
OPP MPUB has 428 unsolved missing persons in its database, 325 of which are on the website. (Curious, why not the other 103?)

OPP MPUB has 206 unsolved unidentified bodies in the database, 108 of which are on the Resolve Initiative website. (Curious, why not the other 98?)

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=405&nid=578

Coral

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »
A couple of years ago, a family member of ours was making bad choices in their life.  They were encouraged to smarten up and get their life together.  They did not like this option and chose to separate themselves from family.  They did not have any contact with their loved ones for just over a month.  They could not be reported to the police as missing, as they chose to leave.  From the family's point of view, that person chose to left, and were not having contact intentionally.  Eventually that person came to their senses, and returned home. 

If something had happened to that person, we would never have known.  We would have thought that we were not hearing from them because they chose not to have contact.  No one would go looking for them.  I wonder, in these missing person cases and in the human remains found cases, how many times do people not know that a family member is actually missing?  They do not check the remains websites because they don't know that a family member is dead. People don't search these websites regularly.  It's not a common thing to do.  Sometimes people move to another province.  If they don't have immediate family, but rather just friends, those friends may think they just drifted apart.  They don't go looking for them, or search remains websites.

I had a co-worker who moved to the U.S., then later back to Canada, and re-located to several cities in 2 different provinces.  Sometimes I heard from her at holidays, and other times she wouldn't send a card or call for years.  If she died, I would not have known.  She had a bizarre husband, who was rather mean to her, but she stayed in that relationship because of her kids, like so many others do.  If he killed her, I wouldn't have known in which province to look for her , as they would move so frequently. If I didn't hear from her, I wouldn't look on the remains websites. She didn't have immediate family other than her husband and kids. No one would be looking for her.  I think others are the same.  If they lose touch with a friend, they assume the friendship just ended. They don't look for them on the remains websites.  These websites are made almost in vain. 
I wish more was done to advertise the people on them, in the media.  I'd like to see one or two featured every night on the evening news.  When we can devote so much prime time evening news time to "local coyote attacks neighbourhood cats and dogs", or "park full of Tim Horton's coffee cups needs to be cleaned", then we should be able to donate one single minute to "Look at this picture. Do you recognize who this could be?" These people need closure.  They need to be found and identified.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
That is a really good idea, Coral....
Nancy Grace always leaves a minute or two to focus on American military heroes....Canadian TV could do something similar but about our missing or UNsolved murders.
Recently a broadcaster from Ottawa was in the spotlight when her husband disappeared, only to be found deceased in his vehicle.