Author Topic: Christine Jessop - October 3, 1984 - Age 9 - Murdered - Queensville  (Read 488915 times)

Snively

• View Profile
Re: Christine Jessop - October 3, 1984 - Age 9 - Murdered - Queensville
« Reply #1350 on: September 23, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »
Does anybody know if the school bus made any other stops between the school and Jessop's home? It seems plausible that she either walked from the school or if there was a stop closer to the corner store, she got off there and went to the corner store before going home. It would explain why the mail was inside the house and her bike was still found at the house. She didn't need her bike to go to the corner store because she had already been there. Somebody followed her home from the corner store and abducted her when she came back out.

I still lean to the abduction occurring outside the corner store. Somebody could see her come to the store alone and be sure she wasn't with an adult. At the house they couldn't be sure an adult wasn't inside and would come right out behind Christine. I think she just simply choose to walk to the corner store that day, rather than take her bike.

Has anybody ever seen any information about if the person working in the corner store that day was ever asked if anybody had come into the corner within the hour previous to him seeing Christine?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 24, 2017, 05:08:00 AM »
My question is, and always will be, is...how did the perp know about this property with the trailer, and how did the perp know the trailer had not been used in a month or so, due to the fact the wife of the owner was ill?
I pass the spot several times a year....and feel that the perp had to have known about this property, too many other places along concession 4 that he could have left Christine.....where he left her was (I believe) the last driveway before Simcoe st....which is a county road....further west, concession 4 is very swampy...

Snively

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 24, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if it was simply a case of someone asking about the trailer and being told it was only used on weekends.  It could be people walking their dog, kids on dirt bikes, hunters, or somebody working in the area.  It would be interesting to find out who was doing work in the area over the past year.  Everybody from road crews to utility crews to developers to construction crews to people picking up corn and hay to people hired to clean out lots. 

I do know the company James' worked for did lot clearings all around Durham and York Region, but the police have lost those records.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 25, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »
It was a neighbour walking his dog, that found Christine's body.  That neighbour lived on Simcoe St (county Rd #2)....so the back of his property backed onto the trailer property.

Snively

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 07, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
I received a letter from Peterborough Police regarding my Freedom of Information request for the files pertaining to the arrest and conviction of Richard James in the kidnapping of Lynn Ferguson and it says "the search concluded that no records exist.  The Peterborough Police Force automated their records system in 1987.  Records prior to January 1st, 1988 are limited."

Nothing's easy.  But, there are still searches to be done on the Peterborough Examiner archives of the era when Trent University is finished working on the library building in the spring, as well as an attempt to located the trial transcript, and more footwork in the area in the hope that someone remembers something.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 07, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
Snively;  I can't help but wonder if Richard James was a companion or friend of one of the clique Christine's father rubbed shoulders with?  or if he met James in prison?  .... just thoughts I've been pondering!  You are great on this case BTW. ;)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
I wish I knew the old newspapers to dig into guys, but I don't know the area/news sources of Ontario well enough.  Maybe this link would be of value ... or at least a starting point to figure who was doing the news when this and other cases occurred.  There are some old papers that are available.  http://libguides.bgsu.edu/c.php?g=227443&p=1507146
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:21:20 AM by lostlinganer »

Snively

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 08, 2017, 12:48:23 AM »
Snively;  I can't help but wonder if Richard James was a companion or friend of one of the clique Christine's father rubbed shoulders with?  or if he met James in prison?  .... just thoughts I've been pondering!  You are great on this case BTW. ;)

From everything I can find James was never in prison prior to being convicted of the kidnapping in Peterborough, and I also can't find any connection with him and anyone in Queensville, so I doubt very much he ever met Christine's father.  It certainly isn't conclusive.  His company and/or himself may have done work in Queensville and had direct contact with people there, even Christine's family, but I get the feeling James was one of these "people" (I really want to use another word, but I don't want to get in trouble) who get the urge and see a situation they can exploit.

I think it's far more likely he was working nearby and had noticed the school was on his route home and decided to see if he could grab a little kid when the opportunity presented itself.  I don't think this was as much a thought out plan, as it was a crime of opportunity and some local knowledge of the site in Sonya and at least a very good working knowledge of the roads in and around Queensville.

And thank you for the compliment!
Save

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 08, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
... surely might be beneficial to find out what "jobs" were being done that day, that could involve James ... if Christine was on her bike, a truck picking up a young girl and throwing her bike in the back box, would certainly not attract attention, ... other than, a father or family member taking the kid home.  The average person probably wouldn't even make a mental note of such an incident.  It would be great to be able to reach and talk to as many people as possible, going about their daily routine/lives there at the time - especially that day.  ;) ... especially kids Christine's age, or that knew her .... Kids always make a mental note when they see another kid in trouble with their parents?  ;)

Snively

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 08, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
... surely might be beneficial to find out what "jobs" were being done that day, that could involve James ... if Christine was on her bike, a truck picking up a young girl and throwing her bike in the back box, would certainly not attract attention, ... other than, a father or family member taking the kid home.  The average person probably wouldn't even make a mental note of such an incident.  It would be great to be able to reach and talk to as many people as possible, going about their daily routine/lives there at the time - especially that day.  ;) ... especially kids Christine's age, or that knew her .... Kids always make a mental note when they see another kid in trouble with their parents?  ;)

I don't think she took her bike to the store that day.  She was found with her recorder with her, and as somebody pointed out, she likely was afraid she would break it while holding it and riding her bike.  Certainly seems reasonable and would explain why her bike was at home.  Without a bike to throw in the pickup truck box it would only take a second to grab a little kid and toss them in the truck.  James used the ruse of needing help to find his lost puppy and $2 to grab Lynn Ferguson, and we know Christine loved animals so I wouldn't doubt he used the exact same approach.

I talked to two people in Peterborough who were near the vicinity where Lynn was grabbed.  One said they did tell the police they saw a couple of cars near the corner store and the other didn't see any cars.  Neither saw a red pickup truck with company signage on the side.  We know that people doing identification are highly unreliable.  They are simply too oblivious to things around them (don't even get me started on today's generation! lol) or if they do see something the mind, usually innocently, fills in the blanks.  One sure thing I've found that shows things are being made up is when people start providing too many details.

You are right about kids.  Typically their accounts are very verbatim.  They don't try to fill in the blanks.  Not always, but they are also easy to spot when the begin exaggerating.  One day I'll get enough money set aside to put in a Freedom of Information request for Christine's files and be able to take a real good look at any reports from witnesses.  Despite all the information and transcripts out there, there is still so many unanswered questions.  All the compiled information available only deals with Morin.

As for jobs being done in and around the area, I know there was work being done on various subdivisions and some commercial lots and on some farms and some road work.  Nobody has the precise records for that time period that I've contacted, but every one said that at some point the lots had been cleared of scrub brush and woodcutters were hired to remove and dispose of the brush.

One thing of note is that at the time of Christine's disappearance, Highway 404 was being extended from Bloomington to Aurora Sideroad between August 1982 and September 1985.  It has been confirmed there were tree clearing crews on site at the time of October 1984 but no records exist and nobody working on the highway that day (and I've talked to many that I used to work with who were on that 404 extension at the time) remembers who they were.  They can remember the prime contractor but not the subs and unfortunately a red pickup with signage on the side is very, very common.

It just goes to show just how easy if would be for a red pickup to fit in without anyone noticing even right in the middle of Queensville.
Save

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 08, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
Going wayyyy back in this case, the whole thing about not following up on the car the Horwoods claimed to have followed, still gives me a gut-wrenching feeling:

The Horwoods followed this Buick as it proceeded north on Leslie. The car turned west onto Fieldstone Lane in the Balmoral Heights subdivision. It drove up this street very slowly and close to the curb. The Horwoods were so concerned over what they had seen that they, too, turned into the subdivision and drove slowly around the block looking for the Buick. Unfortunately, by the time they turned into the subdivision they had lost sight of the car and did not see it again. Ms Horwood estimated that they first observed this vehicle at approximately 4:05pm. They described the driver as male, dark-skinned, mid-forties, stocky with dark hair and grubby in appearance.
On October 21, 1984, 3 days after this initial interview and 15 days after the original phone report by Ms Horwood, Mr Horwood was interviewed for the first time. He was able to provide even more precise information relating to the description of this vehicle. At this time, he stated that the vehicle was ?exactly like the Buick parked in the driveway of a residence? located nearby, except that the colour had been different. Therefore, the police were provided with very specific information relating to this car ? a precise model and year of the 2-door Buick at Park Avenue. There was no follow-up with the Ministry of Transportation. For example, the Ministry was not asked to provide a print-out of all 1979 Buick vehicles in the area, or the driver's licences or vehicle registrations for all individuals in the area with a similar car in terms of year and colour. It was stated ?to be a very large task.? No canvass of the residents of Fieldstone Lane or the Queensville area was conducted to determine if anyone knew or saw someone answering the description of the vehicle or persons observed by the Horwoods. Nor could anyone recall giving instructions to the officers to canvass the Queensville area to look for a vehicle of comparable colour and model. Unfortunately, by the time Mr and Ms Horwood were personally interviewed, they were unsure whether they had observed this vehicle on Tuesday, October 2 or Wednesday, October 3. While they recounted the events clearly, they could no longer pinpoint the day of this occurrence.
http://netk.net.au/Canada/Morin24.asp

and btw ... maybe if those police had concentrated on (possible fleeing suspects that could have still been holding Christine alive) instead of harassing Mrs. Jessop ... the girl might have had a chance of surviving..... and the guy working in the graveyard... with "family for alibi" ... what a stupid bunch of cops to not see passed that... of course family are going to lie for their own!  ... especially if they knew him to be "prone to this type of act"!   ... all those cops should have lost their jobs and their pensions after this whole thing.   .............. and don't ever think that for any amount of money ever, that anybody will ever get their hands on any material pertaining to the investigation ... that will definitely end up as items not available, cops "personal notebooks missing" etc. etc.  - and anything that would be available would have so much "blacked out" that you would wonder how the system could charge thousands of dollars for sheets of paper full of black horizontal stripes.    I'm afraid the linked report on Christine's murder investigation is as close as one will ever get to facts or material about the case. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:37:41 PM by lostlinganer »