Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Christine Jessop - October 3, 1984 - Age 9 - Murdered - Queensville  (Read 155463 times)

Desespere

Christine Jessop
COD:
DOB:
Date last seen: October 3, 1984
Location last seen: Queensville, ON
Date found: December 31, 1984
Location found: 50km from home
Child

Christine Jessop - October 3, 1984 - Age 9 - Murdered - Queensville - Christine was abducted from her home, sexually assaulted and murdered. Three months later her remains were found about 50 kilometres from her home. Queensville is 50km South of Barrie and 60km North of Toronto.
Investigation: Her next door neighbour, Guy Paul Morin, was wrongfully convicted of her murder. No new suspect has been named.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/missingchildren/childmurders.html

Article on Guy Paul Morin and his eventual exhoneration:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0010386

Christine Jessop, Queensville, Ont. (1984)
http://archives.cbc.ca/society/crime_justice/clips/17241/
The body of nine-year-old Christine Jessop is found.
Program: The National
Broadcast Date: Jan. 1, 1985

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:07:37 AM by Chris »

mauvelilac

Re: Christine Jessop - October 3, 1984 - Age 9 - Murdered - Queensville
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
This case has always fascinated me. Indicting a man for not searching for his neighbour or attending her funeral. Another reason though is because Christine went missing in 1983. Allison Parrot went missing in 1983 or 84 can't remember exactly. Nicole Morin went missing July 1985. Allison was found a few days later, became a cold case and eventually her killer was caught. Nicole has never been found. All 3 lived in the Toronto area. Christine went missing from her home. Nicole went missing from her home. Allison was lured from her home. But I don't believe Allison killer is related to Christines and Nicoles.
If you read the book Redrum the Innocent(fascinating) Christines mother Janet? says she saw or had a vision of Christine and Nicole together in her house hand in hand. She actually went to see Nicoles mother when the child went missing. I believe in motherly intuition and I believe that when your child is murdered, there's a psychic bond. Even before I read the book I had a strong feeling the two cases were connected. :-\

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »
Last Saturday marked the 25th anniversary of Christine's abduction and murder.  I have been researching this case since April 2003 due to information given to me by a former resident of Queensville where Christine was abducted from.  The information is disturbing and I am requesting the help of readers of this site to assist me.  I have too much to relay in one session so will break down my information into small increments so it is easier to absorb.

I began my journey on April 12, 2003 with a call to Crime Stoppers.  CS found the info I provided to be very credible and asked me to call back a number of times.  During my 3rd call I was asked to give up my identity.  When you give up your identity to Crime Stoppers, your name goes to the police force involved and your CS file is closed.  The police force involved is then responsible to contact you for an interview.  My identity was forwarded to then Det-Sgt Neale Tweedy of Toronto Police.  He failed to contact me.  When I called CS back to ask the status of the info I gave they relayed a message from him - in a nutshell I should get lost.  NT had an obligation to call so that I had the choice to keep my CS file open or not.  He took that away from me.

My information was to valuable to walk away from so bided my time for another day.

On October 1, 2004 an announcement was made in Toronto's Globe and Mail regarding this case by Det-Sgt Neale Tweedy.  He was in charge of the task force for this case from February 1995 to early 1998.  When he made his announcement he was no longer in charge of the case.  He announced that the DNA profile from this crime scene is now in our National DNA Databank which began in June 2000.  In June 2007 I discovered that this is not possible - the DNA profile done in 1995 was successful to exonerate an innocent man but was outdated by 2000 and not compatible with the new Databank.  I have this confirmed in an e-mail by the RCMP.  The problem is, it can be researched that all of the existing material available in 1995 was used to create the profile and nothing was left.  It was argued in court that the test should wait until technology improved so less material would be used and other tests could be done later if needed.  A man's liberty was at stake so the decision was to use all of the material.

From July 2007 to July 2008 I chased Toronto Police for proof of this claim through the Freedom of Information Act, including an appeal.  My question was - how, when and where did you do a new DNA profile that could be entered into the DNA Databank?  They told me to get lost.  Why not save time and money and agree that the announcement is correct, or if it isn't correct then tell the family and public so?

In November 2008 Christine's brother posted on a blog that 'the latest news is, with new technology Toronto Police will reopen the case'.  If there is a DNA profile in the National DNA Databank, what is the new technology and what will it do?

In August 2009 I had a crime writer from Manitoba follow my footsteps and ask Toronto Police about this announcement.  They would not confirm - their answer was 'we neither confirm nor deny that the DNA profile exists in the National DNA Databank'.  It's already been confirmed - the question was do you still stand by that announcement.

The Jessop family and the public are being mislead and there is a reason why.  If this generates any interest I will be happy to provide more info.

By the way - the crime writer found me to be sane and credible.  She believes the DNA profile is not in the databank.

I hope as readers of this site many of you will do the following - call Toronto Homicide Cold Case Unit and ask if the DNA profile is in fact in our National DNA Databank.  As citizens you do have the right to ask about an announcement made by the police.  Please write about your calls and the responses you receive.

Note that the DNA Databank is directed by the RCMP.  They cannot tell you what profiles are in the databank as they do not know - profiles are entered in as a number.  If a match is made the number simply has a police unit to call.  No names are associated with a match.

I look forward to any and all responses.

D1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
Very interesting! Please do tell us more..
The Jessop family and the public are being mislead and there is a reason why.  If this generates any interest I will be happy to provide more info.

P.S. There are a lot more people on here who read and watch than who post so don't misinterpret that as lack of interest.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:45:16 PM by D1 »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
Thanks D1 - noted.

Part of the information I passed on to Crime Stoppers and police is that on 3 October 1984 an OPP officer knew of sexual abuse that had occured on another 9 year-old a short distance away.  The officer did not come forward with this info before or after CJ was found as the abusers he knows are extended family.  In 2006 I asked Chief of York Region Police - Armand Labarge - to ensure for all concerned that this familys DNA has in fact been tested.  Labarge found not coming forward to be appropriate action on the officers part.  Labarge then wanted to know who, besides me, knows the information I was relaying.  I found this to be very threatening.  Luckily I was able to tell him everyone in my family knows.

An hour or so after this meeting I found out that the family I had been trying to report for 3 years knew the Jessop family and had regular contact with them.  I was shocked and phoned a Deputy Chief reporting to Labarge to inform him of this additional information.  Nothing.

This is one of many reasons I will never walk away from this.

I then began a more critical look at Det-Sgt Neale Tweedy.  On 24 February and 26 November 1998, NT gave testimony at a Commons Inquiry on the need for a Canadian National DNA Databank.  Like other officers that testified, he was supporting this need from a police view.  Neale Tweedy provided false facts on the CJ case.

Why lie?  Why give any facts at all?  Why not just say what the benefit would be in terms of saving time and money on investigations?  That's what the other officers did.  If you google Neale Tweedy you should find a site called 'Legal Affairs, Issue 44, Evidence'.  This is the November 1998 testimony, the other one is called JURIEV32-e from February 1998.

The November site has the most falsehoods - NT states CJ was abducted and driven to where she was found 3 months later.  After 2 trials and the Kaufman Inquiry there is no testimony or evidence on what happened that day.  Her body was found by a neighbour of the area after his dogs began acting up.  The dogs only smelled the body on that day?  Why not 3 months earlier when the odor began?

NT further states that neighbours in 2 distant farmhouses awoke and heard her screams but no one called police.  A week or so after CJ was found, a 72 year-old woman appeared on TV saying she had heard screams on that night.  She did not call police first and her story was proven false in many ways - she was never called to testify.

Both of these statements infer that the killer stayed in the open with her for over 5 hours - 3 of them daylight hours.

NT finishes with she lay in the same spot until she was found.  There was not enough decomposition material underneath her to support a finding she was there any more than a few days.

I believe Neale Tweedy went into this investigation with good intentions so I can't understand why he has made so many unproven statements.

It's only a coincidence that this family I have been looking at borrowed $50,000.00 against a debt free property in March 1998.  I stumbled across this in a public record document.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:41:03 PM by Woodland »

D1

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
Excellent Woodland..this is the first anyone has heard of any other suspect in Christine's murder since it happened!!

Once Guy Paul Morin was exonerated, any excuses for not following up on other suspects went by the wayside, or at least should have. Similar incidents involving victims of the same age in the same vicinty are always suspicious and are almost always investigated.. Why no investigation in this case when there should have been??

The details of how and when Christine were found are also very suspicious. The relationship between the cop and this other suspect are indicative of something devious and sinister.

re:
An hour or so after this meeting I found out that the family I had been trying to report for 3 years knew the Jessop family and had regular contact with them.  I was shocked and phoned a Deputy Chief reporting to Labarge to inform him of this additional information.  Nothing.

Are the Jessop's and Morin families aware of this information??

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Janet Jessop was with me during my meeting with York Region Police Chief Labarge and one of his 2 deputies.  This was at her request after a third party contacted her on my behalf to relay that I had info she might find pertinent.

It was Janet that told me an hour after this meeting that she very much knew the family I was speaking of.  Bob Jessop and a member of this family worked together in a voluntary capacity - I had read this previously and later reread what this was and confirmed it.  She said nothing during the meeting while I spoke of them.  With all due respect - guilt and grief have taken their toll - I would meet again with another family member that could more absorb what is being said.

In Ken Jessops blog of November 2008 he mentioned there are only 5 or 6 people to really look at.  I believe he is correct.

Since Det-Sgt Neale Tweedy's revelation on 1 October 2004, 2 new documentaries have been made on this case - neither one mentions that the DNA profile is in the National DNA Databank.  If I was a producer of one of these documentaries and knew the DNA profile was in the databank, I would surely have mentioned it.  Who was responsible for leaving this info out of the public eye?

Janet Jessop made it clear in our meeting not to contact Ken Jessop.  This is a big mistake.  In the blog I read of November 2008, Ken sounds switched on and very honest.  I wonder if he knows of his mothers meeting in 2006.

Please see my posting under Leah Sousa.  It's either right or wrong.

D1

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »
DNA games, also very unusual..

Does "bondo" mean anything to you in regard to Christine?

Maybe Christine's mother knows more than she is saying but doesn't want Ken to know for fear he may take the law into his own hands? Maybe Ken has long had suspicions of the same person? Why else would she not want him to know?

Where can Ken's blog be found?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Have only heard of 'Bondo' in relation to Leah Sousa case.

To find Ken's blog of November 2008 - google Christine Jessop.  You should find 'Christine Jessop in Cold Case Files in AETV Community Center'.  Ken identifies himself under the name Towserdog.

D1

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
I read the blog, Ken sounds very sincere, even willing placing himself in a bad light in order to get to the truth.

After reading more of the details about Christine's murder, I couldn't help but make the comparison with another suspect in another murder I have been following. Sometimes the police shelter certain suspects from investigation for unknown reasons. Maybe we have another one of those here too.
see Arnold- http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,3056.msg29292.html#new

Another website containing information on the wrongfully convicted has been questioning whether a suspect was being protected by the police in this case.
see- http://www.mindytran.com/theothersuspect.htm

Back to what the motive would be, I get the idea you have a theory for that? In your own time..

The Jessop family and the public are being mislead and there is a reason why.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:36:32 AM by D1 »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »
I do believe there have been misguided scenarios where cops, as a group with orders from their superiors, have protected certain people.  This is one way our rights as a free country are trampled on.

In this case there seems to have been only 1 cop with misguided ideas.  He is now a semi-retired
Superintendant conducting tribunals and disciplinary hearings for wayward cops.  I have pointed out to other cops that he stood in front of a parliamentary hearing and for no good reason gave false facts - on record - about this case.

Each time I approached a crime fighting organization with my info, there was much excitement and enthusiasm generated.  I received return calls, more questions were asked, more in-depth interviews were going to be held etc.  Each call got back to Det-Sgt Neale Tweedy and that was it.  Suddenly no more interest.  I have yet to finish my story with a single cop so they cannot claim my info is off the wall or irrelevant - they don't even know what most of it is yet.

That is why I have read all there is available on this case and went the Freedom of Information route.  The more I looked, the worse it got.  To realize only 1 cop seems to have made the leap from the 1995 DNA profile to a profile entered into the DNA Databank is very, very disturbing.  This leap required a huge resource, not to mention more DNA material to test - and no one is willing to stand up and account for it.

Will address motive in another session.

Sleuth

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
It is 'generally' about control and power.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:48:54 AM by Sleuth »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:12:47 PM »
1995 DNA profile - as previously stated the technology used to generate this profile (that exonerated an innocent man) cannot be entered into our National DNA Databank - but technology can once again save the day.

There is nothing wrong with the technology used in1995 - it is now the be all and end all in identifying genetic blood disorders.  Please do not log off - I won't go techie on you.  The equipment used for this DNA testing was discarded.

Towards the end of 1996, it was realized that very little DNA makes us unique - it was called the human genome project.  Today we use smaller, faster tests and our DNA Databank only accepts these new tests.

What happened between these two tests was different markers were used.  I am not a techie so do not know if this was necessary or not.  I do know that you need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

This can't possibly be the only case caught between 2 technologies, so recent research has led me to the following - recreate an old DNA test.  I have found the exact chemicals and procedure used for the 1995 DNA test to exonerate GPM.  Someone was clever enough to write it down.

A few months ago I asked a scientist from a private DNA lab in Toronto if one could use an old test on todays equipment - he thought for a moment and said 'yes, why not'?  I have passed this on to Toronto Homicide.  I hope this is the 'new technology' they told Ken Jessop about almost 1 year ago.  I wonder how much longer he can wait to hear back from them.

D1

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
Good work and very interesting..DNA doesn't have to be reaquired once a profile exists it can be converted to the new profiling system. A little more complex than converting kilometers to miles but really just a conversion program..

Do the RCMP admit this is possible? Are they willing to accept converted DNA profiles?

Remindes me of the RCMP Pedophile registry in a way, only new convictions would go into the registry, all the old convictions were exempt. Maybe there is a pattern emerging here?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »
Ooops - guess I did not explain this very well, but am very glad you wrote in case others see it the same way.

One cannot convert an existing DNA profile - it is what it is at the time it is generated.  And unique.

What I am saying is - use the same technology as 1995 to compare to a potential donor that was not tested back then.  It's the only way out of this mess.

Det-Sgt Tweedy went out of his way to brag on many occasions that he had 325 or more 'voluntary' DNA tests done and spent about 2.2 million dollars on his investigation.  What he didn't get was a 'voluntary' match.  What killer would be that stupid?  Nor did he mention the testing he had to use was no longer viable after 1997.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here