Author Topic: Erin Gilmour - December 20th, 1983 - Age 22 - Murdered - Toronto  (Read 27268 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Erin Gilmour - December 20th, 1983 - Age 22 - Murdered - Toronto
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
Homicide Squad
Unsolved Cold Case

Homicide: #28/1983
Date: August 17, 1983

Victims
Susan TICE
45/F

Homicide 28/83 - A mother of 4 who had just moved to Toronto from Calgary.   

Erin Harrison GILMOUR
22/F

Homicide 48/83 - Erin Gilmour was single and was employed at Robins Knits on a part-time basis.
Details of Investigation
SUSAN TICE was 45 years of age and the mother of 4 children. She was recently separated from her husband, had moved to Toronto from Calgary on July 9th, 1983, and was living alone.On Wednesday, August 17th, 1983, a relative of Susan's went to her address to check on her, since her family had been unable to contact her for several days. Susan's body was discovered in the upstairs bedroom, suffering from numerous stab wounds.

ERIN GILMOUR was 22 years of age, single and lived on Hazelton Avenue. On December 20th, 1983, at about 9:20 p.m., a friend of the deceased went to her home as pre-arranged that day.

On arriving at the premises, this male found the front door ajar. He entered the upstairs apartment and subsequently located the deceased in her bedroom.

Erin had just finished work at approximately 8:45 p.m. at Robins Knits.

These two homicides are linked through DNA. Both women are believed to have been killed by the same man.
Suspects
UNKNOWN
Additional Media

Susan Tice's new home that she had just purchased   (PIC)
This is the house that Susan Tice was found murdered   

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:35:52 AM by leonagleant »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »
I wonder too, leonagleant.  Are we to believe this killer stopped killing in 1983 or.. did he move... or die?
The murders of Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour are never far from my mind, Toronto is my hometown.....they were both murdered in the same year 1983, and they lived fairly close to each other.  They have DNA to connect the two murders.

There was a topic on this forum recently regarding the soaring Police costs...I think there is many Cops sitting at their precincts just waiting to retire.  They are the ones that should have Susan and Erin's files on their desks.....these two crimes MUST be solvable.   
They have DNA to connect the crimes....both women lived fairly close to each other and they were both murdered in 1983.  Lots of clues, so I wonder where those files are right now?  In the Cold case section or on someone's desk?

The idea it could be a delivery person is a good one to check out.  Or even just a clerk at a store both women would have shopped at.   I believe they were watched or followed.

It is unsolved such as these two crimes that really does make me wonder why not?

I just thought.....what if the killer went to the States?  How much cross-checking Canadian DNA is done with America?  Toronto is not that far from NewYork State.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:19:08 AM by jobo »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
He may well have left town or might have continued killing as there are many women who lived alone killed in Toronto over the years, or he might have got married and stopped killing if that's possible. I'm not convinced that there is a connection between the two women though that is possible re the idea of a delivery man. I tend to think of a man wandering the streets, following women, peering through windows and determining who lives at home alone. The ages of the women are not similar so he was opportunistic rather than targetting similar women. It would be great if we had a national DNA bank of at least all convicted criminals if not all men so we could solve these cold cases. If he has already passed away, it's remotely possible it was someone like Allan Craig MacDonald with a history of break-ins and murders:

"MacDonald travelled the area between Brantford, Woodstock, Hamilton and Toronto. He towed a 24-foot Prowler trailer, cream with a green stripe. His was a life of business break-ins and thefts."

http://pbdba.lfpress.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=122447&x=articles&s=societe
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:31:37 PM by leonagleant »

GoArmy36

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
I watched some documentary not long ago about police thinking that Paul Bernardo had something to do with Erin and Susans death.  Paul denied this.  Seeing he and Mr. Russel Williams were in University at that time, and they were good friends, it would not be much of a stretch to think that Russel Williams could be the perp.  Seeing that the DNA has been tested, and the police know that the same person murdered both of these women, I wonder if they will test it against Russel Williams.  Just a thought..

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 11:50:14 PM »
Russell Williams would have been 20 years old at the time, Bernardo only 19 in 1983. Not too likely. Average serial killer is approx 29 with first murder. Of course anything is possible but there are so many more serial killers in prison, dead or at large than the infamous ones whose names we know. Many more whose names we don't memorize but who wreak havoc in ending lives and destroying families.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »
When they arrested Williams they did say they were checking old murder cases wherever Williams had been throughout his life.  That statement lead me to think they would've checked against the DNA evidence from Erin Gilmour (and Susan Tice's) murder.  At that time I was also hoping they checked into the murders of Margaret McWilliams and Elizabeth Bain, two more unsolved.
 I believe the Police say that the same perp killed Erin Gilmour and Susan Tice (they have DNA).

I had said something about this back when Williams was arrested, as he did go to school in Toronto (was it Upper Canada College?  can't quite recall, but I am pretty sure he went there as a young man and then onto College in Scarborough). 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:54:20 AM by jobo »

anonymous2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »
I am the "anonymous" who submitted the delivery person theory. I check in now and again to this site and appreciate the heartfelt concern of contributors. It still troubles me that the police have not found the murderer and obviously it deeply troubles the family who have posted a reward. I just wanted to let readers know that years ago I did submit my theory to the police with my contact information just so they didn't think that I was a nutbar or the guilty party. I did not receive an acknowledgement but I assume that the police received my message and that they read these posts and have exhausted the delivery person theory. I can't think of any other possible link that Susan and Erin might have. Other than being both white. they were two very different looking women of different ages. That got me to thinking that the murderer was perhaps not that discerning when it came to white women, and so perhaps the murderer was of another ethnicity. I see these days where they can trace your family roots from DNA. I imagine if that is the case, the police have done this; and so I wonder why they would not have released that information. Perhaps a reader more knowledgeable than me can enlighten me. I would appreciate that. It still does strike me that Susan was new to the city and perhaps was ordering delivery and that Erin also liked delivery. How else would the killer have gotten Erin's unlisted phone number? Oh well. I guess the police are doing all they can do.  I can still picture Erin as a very little girl with her blonde hair all bundled up walking through the snow with her nanny and how kind her mother always was to me especially when a snow storm had dumped far more than I could shovel in one go. I do hope for Erin's family that the police soon find her murderer. Sadly, I was also a neighbour and friend of Nancy Eaton and her mother in Toronto. Nancy's murderer is known, of course. The last I heard he was declared "sane and cured" and is free on the streets, ironically near where I now live. I trust that Erin and Susan's cases are receiving all of the police attention that they deserve and my heart goes out to their family and friends.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
This month's Reader's Digest has an article regarding this Unsolved murder of Erin Gilmour.  Susan Tice's murder is also mentioned.  Same DNA in both murders.

joojoo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
These two cases outside of the same perp DNA also have a link in that both women had fairly recent moves.  If Erin had an unlisted telephone number this may be significant.  Who would have knowledge of this---telephone installer,  cable television installer, store delivery people, anywhere you need to give out a telephone number for service including food which was mentioned by "anonymous".  Also stores where you might order something and they contact you when it comes in, dentist office, doctors office, hospital etc.  Kensington Market is close by so maybe this is a connection as well. Hope these help.  jmo   

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
JooJoo.  Do you mean that both of these women had recently moved into their apartments?  If so, perhaps it was someone connected to  local Movers??
jb
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:01:33 PM by jellybean »

Annastaisha

• "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
Property Managers or realtors could be a possibility too

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »
It is believed the killer lived somewhere in between the two victim residences.

Here is another  fascinating piece about the two crimes.
http://www.cancrime.com/2013/08/16/30-years-later-is-serial-killer-still-on-the-loose/

jb