Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Michael Kent - February 11, 1966 - Age 6 - Murdered - Elmvale, ON  (Read 8892 times)

Desespere

Michael Kent
COD: Stabbed
DOB:
Date found: February 11, 1966
Location found: Elmvale, ON
Date last seen: February 11, 1966
Location last seen: Elmvale, ON

Michael Kent - February 11, 1966 - Age 6 ? Murdered - Elmvale - Michael, of Port McNicoll, Ontario, was found stabbed to death next to Elmvale Community Centre at approximately 8:40 p.m. on Friday, February 11th, 1966. Elmvale is approximately 125 km north of Toronto; the Elmvale community centre is in George Park on George St. Michael and his family had gone to the arena with his family that evening to watch his brother play in a hockey game. At some point, as the family was milling about in the lobby, Michael became separated from his mother, and was either lured or dragged outside to the side of the arena where he was stabbed. The murder weapon was later found on the roof of the arena, but it did not yield fingerprints.
There were other non-fatal attacks on children at the arena in weeks prior, but they couldn't be linked to Kent's murder.
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2326675
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:12:14 AM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kent - February 11, 1966 - Age 6 - Murdered - Elmvale, ON
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:33:52 AM »
Stabbing a kid is very very rare. In a way, my first reaction is that maybe another kid did this? I know back in the 60's kids had not yet reached the level of violence they they do now, but it is still possible.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »
Chris you almost took the words right out of my mouth. As I was reading this I was thinking that I don't think I can remember ever hearing of a kid that young being stabbed. I too wondered if it was another kid. Makes me wonder what kind of violence he would have escalated to and what he would have become later in life if that's the case.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:37:47 AM »
Makes me wonder what kind of violence he would have escalated to and what he would have become later in life if that's the case

Wow, good point.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
It is weird that a child was stabbed. There was a case where a kid was stabbed in London I think. It is rare that a child is attacked like that. It makes me think another kid did it.

mauvelilac

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »
I agree Chris. My first thought was an older child. A pedophile would have taken the child away from the area to advoid detection.

stoolie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »
I haven't found more information other than what is on another forum. Hopefully I'll find more but so far this case appears to be unsolved and is within the area of London, Toronto, Barrie. These are all areas where many boys went missing, some abducted, some murdered, some without a trace of any kind. They are all unsolved.

Michael Kent, 6, of Port McNicoll, Ontario, was found stabbed to death next to Elmvale Community Centre at approximately 8:40 p.m. on Friday, February 11th, 1966. Elmvale is approximately 125 km north of Toronto; the Elmvale community centre is in George Park on George St. Michael and his family had gone to the arena with his family that evening to watch his brother play in a hockey game. At some point, as the family was milling about in the lobby, Michael became separated from his mother, and was either lured or dragged outside to the side of the arena where he was stabbed. The murder weapon was later found on the roof of the arena, but it did not yield fingerprints.
There were other non-fatal attacks on children at the arena in weeks prior, but they couldn?t be linked to Kent?s murder.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2326675

I'm wondering if you could tell me the other forum you were visiting. Also, where is it possible to read about these other attacks.

thank you.

Stoolie

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »
Elmvale is actually not far from Barrie...another small town.

itdoesntmatter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
My first reaction was that it was a family target....payback?
No finger prints....another kid thinking to wipe those...in the 60s where not a lot of info was out there about how crimes were solved.? dunno
Knife found on top of the arena? That would have to be a pretty good throw.  Arena tops are fairly high.  I think this was done by an adult.

redbeard

• Author of Cold North Killers, coming March 3, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Having done some research on child murders for a book I recently finished, I figured I'd throw in my two cents.  It is actually not uncommon for children to be stabbed to death in these sorts of cases.  Off the top of my head I can think of Leslie Molseed (UK), Christine Jessop (Canada), Billy and Cole Neer (USA), some of Clifford Olson's victims... 

Also I think you are looking at an offender here who is rather disorganized.  First of all, experienced paedophiles (even without overt sexual assault, this attack will likely have an underlying sexual component) targetting strangers will typically tend towards older children, say age 8 and up, because they are actually easier to control.  The younger the child, the more likely it is to explode into a public crying fit or tantrum. Older children tend to clam up more.  This might show that 1) Michael was a victim of opportunity, 2) the killer has a low intelligence or possible mental illness, 3) the offender was very young himself (consider the Mary Bell and Thompson/Venables murderers in England), 4) some combination of all of these factors. 

I don't think in this case we should read too much into the lack of finding fingerprints on the knife.  It is February after all, and most people would be wearing gloves or mittens.  The knife on the roof of the arena is also not a particularly clever way of discarding a murder weapon.

redbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
The killer is able to lure Michael outside the arena, at which point he has every opportunity in the world to bundle him into a car, and transport them both safely away from the crime scene.  This would have given him more time to enact out a complex fantasy on the child, less chance of being caught in the act (they would have been looking for Michael in the immediate vicinity of the arena) and would delay the time in which the child's body was found.  Instead he chooses to hurriedly knife the child to death within sight of the arena and abandon the body where it will doubtlessly be found within hours.  Not particularly clever or well planned.  Why throw the knife on top of the arena?  If you are worried about disposing of the weapon certainly there is a much less obvious place to put it.  In fact, if there is no fingerprint evidence and you are going to be that lazy, you might as well leave it by the body.  What I believe happened is that the killer seized upon the opportunity to release sexual tension through killing this child, and then suddenly realized what he had done.  He panicked.  Throwing the knife on the arena roof was an act of desperate improvisation, not cunning planning.  He was probably flecked with blood and knew he had to get out of there quickly.  For this reason I would say you are dealing with an offender:

redbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Who is a :

White male
16-25 years old
A regular at the hockey arena, probably as a spectator
Has a history of exposing himself to children
Is sexually sadisitic
Has underdeveloped relationships with adults or people his own age.  Is able to relate better to children.
Has low self-esteem.  Possibly a physical deformity, speech impediment or other feature of which he is ashamed.
Is a loner
Probably unemployed, or employed in a very menial position.
I would also tend towards saying this guy doesn't own his own a vehicle, though he may have rode a bike to the crime scene.

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:18 AM »
I was re-reading Michael's thread and realized this has some simililarities to the recent case of the 4 year old in Woodvale who survived an attack. What I heard on the news (so, the details may not be accurate - my apologies to any reporters out there), she was abducted from the bathroom of the arena, possibly through a nearby door, taken out to a field beside the arena, viscously assaulted and left to die. I have no idea if she was stabbed.
I cannot imagine that this incident and Michael's are related due to the over 40 years between attacks. But, how many other attacks happen at arenas? Seems like an unusual place to me but, then, I have probably just not heard of attacks other than these.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:34:58 AM »
They are saying it is rumour, but talk is that the master key to the arena went missing prior to the attack on the 4 yr.old in Woodville.    I tend to think it's true that the key was stolen.   There is no way someone could lock the bathroom door from the inside, and go out through the bathroom door that leads outside, without a key.

Once again there is no info from the police, to confirm or deny the key story. Or if the child was sexually assaulted.  So, in reality, we don't know if it was a male or female perp...although the police do say they are looking for a male. Once again the police are hush hush and the county is nervous.

The Woodville arena is situated in farmer's fields, and the bathroom side door that the child was removed from, is right beside the parking lot....this perp sure took a huge chance as the crime site is so close to the parking lot.   But then again, no problem disappearing into the darkness.   

I think they should be looking for a local, that was hanging around in the weeks prior to the attack....The question is has he disappeared, or still hanging around like nothing happened.   

About 10-13 years ago, I remember having to keep my eye on a local @ that arena, I didn't like the way he was 'watching' my girls in the lobby, instead of the hockey on the ice.  He was an older man, and nothing came of it.

I am thinking that when Redbeard profiled the perp in Elmvale, he could very well be also describing the perp in Woodville.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:42 AM »
I can't get over how brazen and risky both attacks were.  With quite a few people present, and moving/walking around, how would the offenders know or have any degree of certainty they wouldn't be caught in the act?

Hopefully LE can narrow down access to the key in the Woodville attack.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here