Author Topic: Jessica Estabrooks - August 23, 1996 - Age 20 - Murdered - Moncton  (Read 22392 times)

maybehope812

• View Profile
Re: Jessica Estabrooks - August 23, 1996 - Age 20 - Murdered - Moncton
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:37 AM »
Capeheart, getting an "Unsolved Mysteries" type show is a great idea. In fact even though I had lived in PEI around this time, I don't remember hearing about her murder at all and I bet a lot of people are the same, or they have forgotten.

The media needs to get involved. In the meantime I will do what I can via social media and posters to bring awareness.

PandaBearKitty

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:14 PM »
Haven't found any updates about Jessica, but did find her photo on RCMP website.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
Is something up with the Jessica Estabrooks case?  Does anyone know?

jb

GSAR_Mbr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »
This is an older article from 2004 but adding in as it has details which I did not see in alternate posts on the thread:

Abstract
Translate Abstract

A Dorchester girl, she had been a member of the Girl Guides, a beauty pageant contestant and pageant organizer, and a model student.

Full Text
Translate Full textTurn on search term navigation
Jessica Estabrooks of Moncton was, by all accounts, a nice person, a homebody and a country girl who had some apprehensions about living in the big city.

A Dorchester girl, she had been a member of the Girl Guides, a beauty pageant contestant and pageant organizer, and a model student.

Now working in the big city, she was looking forward to marrying her high school sweetheart and fianc e Shane Linthorne in the summer of 1997. He proposed in December, 1995.

On the night of Aug. 23, 1996, the 20-year-old girl with wavy shoulder-length brown hair and blue eyes walked out of her Waverley Avenue apartment and disappeared into the night.

Two months later, a human skull and lower jaw bone were discovered on the banks of the Petitcodiac River near Beaumont several kilometres south of Moncton - and eventually identified as the skull of missing Jessica Estabrooks.

The partial remains were sent to forensic investigators for examination. Two weeks later RCMP concluded that Jessica Estabrooks had, indeed, been murdered.

An extensive search of the shoreline along the Petitcodiac was conducted but no other evidence or clues were found.

Throughout the investigation of her disappearance, there was no hiding the underlying thought that she had run into foul play. The lack of clues continued to plague investigators and frustrate her family and fianc e who desperately wanted to know what had happened.

Evidence at the apartment on Aug. 23, 1996, indicated she had arrived home early in the evening after her shift at a Burger King restaurant. She had talked with her fianc e who worked at Domino's Pizza. There was her work uniform, a partially eaten snack and a movie in the VCR that she had started to watch. Gone were her purse, white sneakers, blue jeans and possibly a white tank top. Her jacket was still in the apartment.

Police canvassed the area and appealed to anyone who might have seen Jessica walking after 8 p.m.

RCMP Major Crime investigators and Moncton Police Force officers pooled their resources in an attempt to find the killer.

The next big break came in September of 1997 when police announced they had a prime suspect in the murder.

The Crown prosecution sent the police file and other information in November to the director of prosecution in Fredericton for a decision on whether there was enough evidence to prosecute. No charge was ever laid and there are still no new reported developments seven years later.

Police are still hopeful that some new clue or evidence will eventually turn up to solve this cold case file.

RubyRose

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »
It sounds to me as if they probably do have a very good idea of what happened to Jessica.  In hindsight, I wonder if it would not have been just as wise to proceed with the charge based on the available evidence, however weak it may or may not have been, and let a jury decide.  I understand the need to get things right with all the "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed but now almost twenty years later the case appears to be no closer to conclusion.  Meantime, the case against this suspect or suspects likely just keeps growing weaker as more time passes and memories grow dim or possible witnesses are no longer with us.   The chance of ever obtaining a conviction appears less and less likely with each year that goes by.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:44:15 PM by RubyRose »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
It sounds to me as if they probably do have a very good idea of what happened to Jessica.  In hindsight, I wonder if it would not have been just as wise to proceed with the charge based on the available evidence, however weak it may or may not have been, and let a jury decide.  I understand the need to get things right with all the "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed but now almost twenty years later the case appears to be no closer to conclusion.  Meantime, the case against this suspect or suspects likely just keeps growing weaker as more time passes and memories grow dim or possible witnesses are no longer with us.   The chance of ever obtaining a conviction appears less and less likely with each year that goes by.
The bolding is mine/jb
I agree.  She must have changed her clothes when she arrived home, and was watching a VCR movie.

With a scull found, no clothes - it is difficult to connect as to what she was wearing.  Makes sense that she changed from her uniform into said clothes that were missing from her apartment.

Who would be available in the apartment to do her harm at the time?

jb
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:11:00 PM by jellybean »