Author Topic: Marion Bagshaw | Murdered | Near Mount Albert (June 18, 1960)  (Read 6850 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Marion Bagshaw | Murdered | Near Mount Albert (June 18, 1960)
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:22:28 AM »
Marion Bagshaw, born about 1925,  shot to death  in her own kitchen in her home on the 5th Concession of East Gwillimbury township near Mount Albert, Ontario, along with her visiting boyfriend, Glenn Harris Kivell, in broad daylight, June 18, 1960.  See Toronto Star 20-21 June 1960;  funeral Sunderland Ontario June 22, probably buried in the Bagshaw Cemetery.  It was never determined whether the murderer was an unmwanted intruder or a known person who was allowed into the home, but there were signs that it may have been a professional killer.
Marion was the daugher of Ernest Melville Bagshaw (brother of Arthur Merrill) and Anna Jane nee Warvill.  She had one sibling - a brother George
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:14:55 PM by Chris »

Woodland

• View Profile
Re: Marion Bagshaw | Murdered | Near Mount Albert (June 18, 1960)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »
After reading the Toronto Star articles on this case from 1960, I am quite intrigued that this case was never solved.

What stood out the most for me was how Marian was found seated with her legs or ankles crossed.  This could say many things - she seemed relaxed, not ready to run, comfortable with anyone in the house at that moment and unlikely to have seen a gun pointed at her.  Would this mean she was shot first?

Her partner Glenn however, was found lying at her feet.  Did he see it coming and try to get up, or if he was standing, did he lunge toward Marian in a vain effort to protect her?

Very few people would have wanted them dead.

Marian was from a long line of Bagshaw's who have been established in the area immediately east of her home for well over 100 years.  At 35, there was nothing reported on a previous marriage or children.  Instead she supported herself, owned her home and had a number of previous relationships.  Her partner prior to Glenn is reported to have broken up with her about 2 years prior to her murder.  Did her family not care for her life style?

Glenn on the other hand apparently left his wife almost 2 years prior to his murder and had a couple of children.  Did his ex not care for his life style?

Either way they must have known the person that entered the house in order to have remained in the kitchen while they walked through from the front door with a rifle.  Was the killer recruited to shoot this couple or was it someone with a vengeance?  How many people did Marian and Glenn know that were that confident with a gun?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
Went back and reread info from the Toronto Star June 1960 in order to answer your questions.

Marian and Glenn were shot with a 303 rifle from inside the home.  It was determined someone stood in the hall door and 'peppered the kitchen with bullets'.  Bullets were found in the walls and ceiling and more were expected to be found outside after passing through a window.

If Marian was posed in a crossed leg position after being shot, the killer risked disturbing the blood spatter and pooling, exposing that the scene was disturbed.  He/she would then have blood on their shoes and hands at the least.  No mention was made of this in the papers so not sure one way or the other.

This was a brazen and determined killer.  The victims were having a beer and in the process of making a meal.  Did they call out to someone knocking to come in, or was the killer let in first and then return outside to retrieve the gun?

I often use my own life experience to compare to what I read regarding such a tragedy.  I normally let someone in first and if they wish to return to their vehicle, I do not follow them - they can come and go as needed after being let in unless I am asked to help carry something in etc.  Since the kitchen faced the rear of the house, I find it feasible the killer had confidence they would not be seen by the victims as they returned with a large gun, at least not in time to save themselves.

I was incorrect on the timing of Marian's last breakup - it was six months before she was shot.  According to a friend, Marian had been seeing this person as well as Glenn Kivell.  This other partner did breakup with her.  The jilted lover theory was strong at the time, however after rounding up many guns the police did not make a ballistics match.  The ex Mrs Kivell sent the police to northern Saskatchewan in search of one of these guns.

After 49 years, may they all rest in peace.

peterbagshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
I am Marions nephew. This has been a troubling event in our family's history. Now that my father has passed I would like to look into this in greater detail. Has anyone any advice as to where to start? How would one access the police reports from that time? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »
Hello Peter - I hope for you and your family's sake, you can find some answers.  It's a very sad and odd occurrence.

Have you tried requesting information directly from the OPP - they originally investigated this case.  If they do not have anything, try York Region Police in Newmarket in case it was transferred to them.

They may insist you go the Freedom of Information routine - not difficult just time consuming and alot of writing.  As a family member and with so much time gone by, I hope they act in a helpful manner towards you.  They may have a community liaison officer - a good start.

Best of luck and keep us posted if you learn anything or require further assistance.

July

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »
Marion Bagshaw and Glenn Harris Kivell

The Cold Cases of York Region: Marion Bagshaw and Glenn Harris Kivell

Angus Morton didn't think twice when he looked out and saw Marion Bagshaw's kitchen light on just past midnight on June 19, 1960. It wasn't unusual for the 36-year-old woman, who rented a home on Angus' father's property, to stay up late with her close friend, 46-year-old Glenn Harris Kivell.

To Angus and his father Harry, it came as a total shock when they found Bagshaw and Kivell the following day, shot to death in Bagshaw's kitchen. The pair were having a beer and preparing a meal in the late evening hours when they were killed by an unknown assailant.

Investigators from the Ontario Provincial Police determined that Bagshaw was shot first through a side door and didn't expect the attack - she never got up out of her chair. Kivell, who had rented a room at the Morton's farm since separating from his wife more than a year before, was killed after Bagshaw.

Based on bullet fragments found around the kitchen, police also know that the pair were murdered with a .303-calibre Enfield rifle. Many rifles were examined in the months following the murder, but the murder weapon was never recovered.

more photos of the scene available from the article
https://www.yrp.ca/en/community/Marion-Bagshaw-and-Glenn-Harris-Kivell.asp

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
Jealousy - Couple too cozy in their relationship.  Someone talked into doing it - I would check out his (Glenn's)in-law relatives.

My own opinion only.

jb
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:15:29 AM by jellybean »