Author Topic: Idea's????  (Read 13299 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Idea's????
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:23 PM »
Anyone have any idea's or suggestions to make the site better or improve anything?

Shwa

• View Profile
Re: Idea's????
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:13 PM »
Hey Chris,

I was looking at the Ontario section and thinking it could be rearranged a little, but otherwise this site is fine and easy to use.  Did you change some forums at the top of the page?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
Yes, I moved some threads to the bottom of the page (serial killers, sex crimes justice system etc). This was because visitors to the site were using keywords such as 'Calgary unsolved murders' Ontario missing people' etc, but would come to the site and see those other threads at the top. Now they can see those categories without having to scroll down.

The point it to make sure first time visitors are able to see what the site is about.

How can I improve the Ontario section?

Thank you!

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:18:54 AM »
Hey Chris,

I was thinking that the Ontario section could be organized geographically such as:

Golden Horseshoe (Toronto & the GTA)

This section would include all cities from Clarington/Oshawa on the East to Niagara Falls/St. Catherines in the South - the populated area surrounding the Western end of Lake Ontario.  This would encompass cities like Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Halton, Peel, etc.

Southern

This section would include all areas in Southern Ontario excluding the Golden Horseshoe; from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron in the North to Lake Erie in the South and includes London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie, Guelph, Chatham, Goderich (i.e. Clinton), Windsor & Sarnia.

Central

This section would include all areas from Sault Ste. Marie/Sudbury in the North to Lake Ontario in the South, excluding the GTA.  This would take in Peterborough, Belleville, Trenton, Napaness, Sault & Sudbury, Huntsville, Bancroft, North Bay, Orillia, Lake Simcoe region, etc.

Ottawa & Eastern

This would include all areas from the Ottawa Valley in the North to the St. Lawrence in the South and include Ottawa & the Capital Region (Nepean, Gloucester) Petawawa, Pembroke, Renfrew, Arnprior, Perth, Smiths Falls, Kingston, Brockville, Cornwall, etc.

Northern

This area includes all areas North of Sault Ste. Marie and would include Thunder Bay, Dryden, Cochrane, Kenora, Timmins, etc.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Good idea. It would also be good if any one knowing of the serial killers we got roaming around this land, put it in the SK section. I don't want to lose sight of these freaks.

They are getting away with murder, and it sucks big time.

THX Adrian

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »
good thinking Adrian;  then trained minds like you regulars and new ones too, I suppose, could refer to them without trying to remember what threads they were mentioned in..... I think some form of cross-referencing would help too but don't know how possible that would be.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:55:41 PM by lostlinganer »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »
That is great! I did not know how to break up Ontario that way. I will get that done.

Hey Chris,

I was thinking that the Ontario section could be organized geographically such as:

Golden Horseshoe (Toronto & the GTA)

This section would include all cities from Clarington/Oshawa on the East to Niagara Falls/St. Catherines in the South - the populated area surrounding the Western end of Lake Ontario.  This would encompass cities like Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Halton, Peel, etc.

Southern

This section would include all areas in Southern Ontario excluding the Golden Horseshoe; from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron in the North to Lake Erie in the South and includes London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie, Guelph, Chatham, Goderich (i.e. Clinton), Windsor & Sarnia.

Central

This section would include all areas from Sault Ste. Marie/Sudbury in the North to Lake Ontario in the South, excluding the GTA.  This would take in Peterborough, Belleville, Trenton, Napaness, Sault & Sudbury, Huntsville, Bancroft, North Bay, Orillia, Lake Simcoe region, etc.

Ottawa & Eastern

This would include all areas from the Ottawa Valley in the North to the St. Lawrence in the South and include Ottawa & the Capital Region (Nepean, Gloucester) Petawawa, Pembroke, Renfrew, Arnprior, Perth, Smiths Falls, Kingston, Brockville, Cornwall, etc.

Northern

This area includes all areas North of Sault Ste. Marie and would include Thunder Bay, Dryden, Cochrane, Kenora, Timmins, etc.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:06:36 AM »
One thing I find a little difficult now that the site is so large, is keeping track of records that are similar to other cases.

It's good to keep them organized by region. But I'm wondering too how we might be able to keep track of cases that might be, on our speculation, linked.

That is interesting. Is there something you have in mind already? I'll give that some thought too. THanks.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:02:38 AM »
I'm making a list of some of the biggest mysteries and unsolved cases in Canada. It would be nice to engage visitors a bit more, so if anyone wants to suggest anything, let me know. I will place this in the new section called 'Hot Topics'.

The 63 Saskatoon case, the Miller New Waterford Case, the Edmonton Serial Killer case, the Clinton area pedophile murder etc are all ones I am looking at. There is no limit though.

I had paid a consultant to look at one of my sites last week, and she also looked at this site and told me it was not intuitive nor engaging for visitors and suggested adding something interesting like this.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »

As far as I know this is one of the only sites, that started with working on serial killer threats, and linking many by location, and writing what we know or hear.We know that KARE is working many provinces now.

Good work Chris! A consultant is a great idea! Also we can get insight from us active members.

Thanks Everyone! ;D

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:01 PM »
Good point Adrian. The Edmonton Serial Killer is what started this whole site, it is what gave birth to this idea and it is a case that will never be forgotten about nor hidden away.

In fact, I have been thinking of ways to get that message out again, as it seems to have been forgetten about since the trial ended.

I am going to start bugging Kare for an update. At least they should say if there is still a serial killer.

As far as I know, the reward money is still available right?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
I  think the topic of serial killers even used to be talked about on this site more than it has been lately. Since Svelka was sentenced the subject hasn't been discussed as much. Maybe because some people may see the problem as being gone? I for one do think there is still a serial killer (s) working in the Edmonton area. I guess unfortunately only time will tell. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:45:22 PM by debbiec »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »
do forums and websites operate on the same user principles? How can a forum be more intuitive and engaging? Is it just by the topics?

Yes the topics and how they are viewed. The biggest problem mentioned was that once a person shows up, it was not clear what the core subject of the site was about. Half the people who visit, did not immediatly see the province sections which is core.

Further, it was not clear that visitors can participate in discussions. So it was recommened to work on a primary important thread that could engage first time visitors. In that section, I would like to create a sticky posting about the top unsolved cases in Canada. This I am working on, and will definetly add everyones suggestions as well.

I'm not looking to engage people who just want to debate weird conspiracy theories etc, but I do want to get teh message out, the primary message, is that there are a lot of unsolved murders in Canada and this is a place they can read about them.

Primary Message - Canada has over 1,000 cases of unsolved murders and missing people
Secondary Message - This site is open to people who are interested to discuss opinions, ideas and thoeries.

And of caourse, our other message, the message that brought this to being is the Edmonton Serial Killer case which I think we all agree did not end with Svleka.

In the next week or so, I will be using your ideas and making this message more prominant.

I have a gut feeling that this site acts like a drum beat. It may not solve cases, it may not attract millions of visitors, but it keeps those close to these cases aware they still exsist and may lead people who can do something about it, to do something. And you know,  Ithink it already has.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

OMG!!!! I can't find the Missing Alert Thread? We really need that, is it still around?

Anyway, will check later. ;D ??? ??? ??? :) :) >:(

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
Well Said!