Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax, NS  (Read 69509 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax, NS
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »
and how in God's name could a small team of Halifax investigators or RCMP, say they did a thorough search for Kimberly's body in a few days 6 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD at that!  I mean, just take a look at the vast expanse and opportunity to dispose of a body 6 yrs. prior~

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »
It's been 27 years and we still haven't found her...missing you Kimberly.

Long Gone

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2017, 07:01:12 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/missing-persons-halifax-crime-kimberly-mcandrew-police-1.4239917

Snipped For Length, Go to link for full story and pics..

'My dad died searching for my sister': When missing person cases go cold
Kimberly McAndrew's disappearance one of a slowly growing number of unsolved missing person cases in Halifax
By David Burke, CBC News Posted: Aug 10, 2017

Cyril McAndrew died while still trying to find answers about his missing 19-year-old daughter, Kimberly.

The retired RCMP officer had dedicated his life to searching for her ever since she disappeared on a sunny August day in 1989 after working a shift at the Canadian Tire on Quinpool Road in Halifax.

Even when he was later stricken with cancer, McAndrew kept his resolve, still determined to dig up information on his missing child.

"My dad died searching for my sister," said his daughter, Megan Adams.

"It was really tough. Doubly so just because that was his life after she went missing was finding her and you just thought there would be some kind of karma that would let that happen ? but life doesn't always work that way."

It gnawed at Cyril until his death in 2004, said Adams. Was Kimberly kidnapped? Was she murdered? Unanswered questions that still haunt the family.

The disappearance of Kimberly McAndrew is one of a slowly growing number of unsolved missing person cases in Halifax. Halifax Regional Police have between 80 to 90 on the books, some dating back more than 30 years.

The police force investigates about 1,000 missing person reports a year. While almost all are solved and the people found unharmed, each year two or three cases go cold.

It means more families discover the heartache Adams knows well.

"From a personal perspective it's very, very frustrating that there are all of those cases and there aren't any answers for my family and all of the other families out there," she said.

"This agony of not knowing what your grief really is. You can go with what the most likely scenario is but without any facts it's not something you can focus on and accept ? it's still not real."

Kimberly McAndrew, a student at Dalhousie University, had finished her cashier shift at Canadian Tire around 4:20 p.m. on Aug. 12, 1989. Clad in a Esprit T-shirt and navy cardigan, she left the store.

It was the last confirmed sighting of the young woman.

What happened to her is a mystery, but Adams believes her sister was abducted and likely killed. If that's the case, her body has never been found.

"Every family at least deserves that answer, they deserve to be able to take their loved one home and then go from there," said Adams.

She believes more cases like her sister's would be solved if more police officers were assigned to digging into the details of outstanding missing person reports.

But money and manpower aren't the issue, according to Halifax police. It's leads.

"I don't think it's a money thing, I think it's more along the lines of getting those leads, getting the interest out there," said Staff Sgt. Don Stienburg, who works in the special investigations section that oversees the cold-case unit.

"When you stop getting any tips from the public and there's nothing coming in then it's very difficult. Where else do you go?"

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
Found this on her fathers obituary.
Just wanted to add it here.
Must be part of her yearbook?

http://www.classcreator.com/Dartmouth-Nova-Scotia-Prince-Andrew-1988/class_profile.cfm?member_id=5751696

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
Besani, he died not know where his daughter was. This was certainly a very mysterious case in Nova Scotia. That someone could go missing in the early afternoon in August in broad daylight, is mind boggling. I do believe that someone just grabbed her right in an isolated area, in a parking lot, especially if someone had a van. That is the only thing I can think of, because of the fact that she was meeting people and had plans. She would not take a drive with someone, because she had plans. The person who took her may not even have been from the area. Summer is the time of a lot of tourists in Nova Scotia and they come from everywhere. I don't think it will ever be solved. It has to be difficult for families when they have to live a life time of not knowing what happened to a loved one.  :o :o :o :o :o :o