Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax, NS  (Read 32927 times)

Desespere

http://www.halifax.ca/Police/MissingPersons/Info/McAndrewKimberly.html

Kimberly Ann McAndrew - Posted
DOB: 1970/01/17
Missing
Date last seen: August 12, 1989
Location last seen: Halifax, NS

Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax - The 19-year-old vanished from a busy parking lot on Quinpool Road after leaving work at the Canadian Tire store a little early. Police have never been able to figure out what happened to McAndrew or how she left the parking lot. Slight scar on bridge of nose. Case number: 7020-U

[modified to update link]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:48:49 PM by Desespere »

kindheart

Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - Nova Scotia - Missing - 1989
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
Kimberly McAndrew, Halifax

On August 12, 1989, 19-year-old Kimberly McAndrew punched the clock at 4:21 p.m., walked out the back door of the Canadian Tire store on Quinpool Road in Halifax and vanished.

A happy, well-adjusted Dalhousie University undergrad, Kimberly was working for the summer as a cashier at the store. Her sister, her sister?s boyfriend and Kimberly?s boyfriend were to pick her up when she finished work at five.

But it was a quiet day at the store, and Kimberly?s supervisor told her that she could punch out early. It wouldn?t have been unusual for Kimberly to walk home on such a beautiful afternoon. The store was about a 15-minute walk from the apartment where she lived with her two sisters.

When they left to pick her up, Kimberly?s sister and friends drove the same route to the store that she would have taken had she walked home. There was no sign of her.

Intelligent, outgoing, well liked at work, Kimberly was her usual upbeat self the day she went missing. Her father, Cyril, a retired RCMP officer, says that she longed to get the silver braces removed from her teeth. She would never have missed the appointment with her dentist that was to have taken place three days after she disappeared.

Former Halifax police Const. Dave MacDonald, who worked on the case, says he thinks of Kimberly often. ?I was an officer for 30 years, the last 12 in the major crimes unit, and never has a case haunted me like this one,? he says.

Sgt. Dave Worrell took over the case in 1999, shortly before MacDonald retired. He says police have received hundreds of tips, investigated alleged sightings, conducted hundreds of interviews and administered several polygraph tests. ?There is at least one person out there who knows what happened,? he says. ?This case is very much ongoing.?

For Cyril McAndrew, coping with his daughter?s disappearance is as difficult today as it was more than 12 years ago. ?Kimberly was abducted?there?s no other explanation. Her bank account was never touched, and her clothes weren?t taken from her home.?

Cyril and his wife, Audrey, live for the day someone finds the strength to tell the truth. And they still have hope. ?Miracles happen,? Audrey says.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2002/04/help_us.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - Nova Scotia - Missing - 1989
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »
Wonder if she took a ride from someone she knew? Someone who had a crush on her or something?

capeheart

• View Profile
I also remember this matter quite well about Kimberly, just a big mystery that seems so unreal to happen in broad daylight. There was such a short time frame here for her to go missing.  Somebody picked her up that knew her, for sure.  Everything should be gone over again in this matter, it is likely a friend that she knew, a neighbour right in her own neighbourhood or someone that lived in the same apartment building as she did. This may not have been planned, a known person  maybe under the influrence of drugs or alcohol, which she may not have known, picked her up and this person took advantage of her. Someone in that area has to know something about this.  It is such a long time and no answers, the family has to be devastated.  They are in my thoughts whenever I hear about this and it is brought up.  God bless all.

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 ? Age 19 ? Missing - Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »
i am adding the addy to the halifax police site about her case because for some reason when  click on the other one it doesnt work
http://www.halifax.ca/Police//MissingPersons/missinginfo.asp?VictimID=159
 as well i will copy and paste the info here because i want to make a comment on a certain line
Incident#: 06-99031

Date:8/12/1989

D.O.B.:1/17/70

Kimberly has been missing since August 12, 1989. At 16:20 hours, she left her place of employment, Canadian Tire Ltd. at 6203 Quinpool Rd. in Halifax, where she was employed as a cashier.

Details:
She was last seen at the Gardenia Flower Shop in Penhorn Mall in Dartmouth. She was identified by an employee at the flower shop as having bought a balloon and a rose. At the time of her disappearance, she was wearing pleated, ankle-length navy cotton slacks with slash pockets in front and one pocket in the back, a white, short-sleeved "Esprit" t-shirt with red and green squares, a navy cotton oversize cardigan, and jade green flat-heeled slip-on loafers. The police have conducted hundreds of interviews, several polygraph tests, and have even followed tips from psychics who contacted the department.

being only 5 when this happened and seeing it on the news this story has made a big impact on me. for years I thought about 'the canadian tire girl' and prayed that she would be found, and after seeing the store firsthand many years later all i could think of is, how on a busy street like this could someone not have observed something? I am always looking around and being aware of my envronment no matter where i am. Perhaps all the reading i have done about crime gives me a 'leg up' on such situations. But it's been TWENTY years this august.surely friendships/allegiances have changed and someone must be willing to talk should the right time come up. I think that this august 12th a candle light vigil should be held at 6203 quinpool road in her memory and a big splash in the news, to perhaps work on someone conscience, or tug at the heartstrings of someone who is keeping they're mouth tightly closed.maybe possibly have a press conference too to refresh people's mind and re-question everyone involved. in twenty years im sure stories have changed and lies have been forgotten, as that works in MANY cases.

in the article i copied of the HRP website I notice that
She was last seen at the Gardenia Flower Shop in Penhorn Mall in Dartmouth. She was identified by an employee at the flower shop as having bought a balloon and a rose

has the significance of this been really looked into...  and if so maybe it needs to be looked into again. were bus driver's / cabbies in that area questioned? how did she get there?what happened in that time frame?  a new set of eyes need to look at this case.  I surely hope that the family gets some closure, twenty years is a long time to be left wondering and searching a sea of faces wondering if she's in there somewhere and if so why she left. I know that would run through my mind. it's quite sad
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:40:54 AM by whispersoftly »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »
usually grab a rose and balloon for a special person's birthday...or someone in hospital.  .....there goes my head with mention of hospital..... I developed some bad ideas about any thugs lurking or doing business in the market of body parts; and where they would hang out to pick a victim. ....I'll let that one go for now.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »
I understood the balloon and the flower were for her boyfriends birthday, it seems that was in an earlier report quite some time ago. I do not know how far the Penhorn Mall is from Can Tire? It has been years since I have been in Halifax. I always felt that Kimberly had accepted a drive from someone she knew. I always felt that, because it was broad daylight. I am sure she would have cried out unless someone abducted her in a van, it would I think have to be more then one person. Such a short period of time to go missing in and nobody saw anything. Very scary for anyone living in Halifax. Now there is the Paula Gallant case, a different scenario because her body was found, but just as mysterious why nobody has come forward with information. Just keep on talking about these cases and I am sure something will come out of the woodwork. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

mauvelilac

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
You Know I've always wondered about Jonathon Yeo in this case. He was from the Maritimes, living in Ontario when he kidnapped Nina De Villieres(sp) off a university campus I believe outside of Toronto. He was on his way back east when he dumped Nina's body in a culvert off the 401 just outside Napanee . He stayed in the Maritimes for awhile, headed back to Ontario and because he was a suspect in more than Nina's murders, there was a standoff between him and police in Hamilton which culminated in his death. I don't remember, I think he shot himself, but the police might have. I'm unclear on that.
So I'm wondering if he could be a suspect in Kimberly's disappearance and dumped her on his way back to Ontario on one of his many trips home. Just a thought.

capeheart

• View Profile
Everytime I reread the information about Kimberly, it is mindboggling even today. August, at that hour of the day it is like noon time. I mean it doesn't get dark until 9:30 in the summer. I just find it so hard to believe that she just dropped out of site. I feel she had to be abducted in the parking lot, but I do not believe it was anyone from Halifax. If it was a stranger, it was someone from over the boarder or another province that was vacationing here in Nova Scotia that took her. Or she accepted a drive with a person she knew from her neighbourhood. But if she knew her friends were meeting her after work, why would she take a drive willingly. If her plans were to meet with her friends, she would not take a drive. So it all points to abduction. You know the man that murdered all the children out west, Clifford Olsen, well he was here in Cape Breton in Sydney for a period of time. He tried to abduct someone here in Sydney. When I saw his face on TV, I said, I saw that guy before and one of the lawyer's here in Sydney told me, yes, he used to live here for a period of time. So in the summer months, we get tourists from all over the world here in Nova Scotia. Way down here in little old Cape Breton, they come from everywhere. So people should be vigilent, because some of these murders may be from someone just passing through. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
I got this stunning message via the contact form on the site. Does anyone know if Shannon Murrin was in Nova Sctiia then?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1991 I was a inmate in Springhill Institution in Nova Scotia. The missing persons poster for Kimberly Ann Mcandrew was posted on the trophy case in the gym. I use to play badminton with Shannon Murrin. I honestly remember Murrin telling me he knew what happen to Kimberly. He never said he took her but for 20+ plus years I wondered what he ment. And of course when the Mindy Tran case was linked to Murrin I was even more motivated to find out who the person was in that wanted poster. I did a search for missing persons and when I saw Kimberlys picture I knew she was the one on that poster. Did he take her. I don't know for sure but I hope this is a lead that can be followed up and lead to the person responsible for Kimberlys dissapperance.

Thanks to the person who sent that in

D1

Amazing how this guys name keeps popping up. Time after time from one end of the country to the other he is named as either a suspect or a POI for multiple murders of girls around this same age.

The cop in this case "Martin" seems to have a specific suspect in mind. Maybe something here could be of help to him?

A time line of sorts for Murrin's whereabouts can be extrapolated from the information at http://mindytran.com/murrinscrimes.htm

The Canadian Parole board would have this info if Martin made the request.

peripeteia

• View Profile
Doesn't seem unreasonable to notify Det.Tommy Martin and Steven Kimber about Murrin, he doesn't sound like a nice guy.

I'm having trouble knowing why Kimberly went to the Penhorn Mall, that is a long long way from Quinpool Road, unless her boyfriend lived there, I thought she lived near her place of employment.  Where Carla Stricklands' body was found is not all that far away from Penhorn Mall.

I had thought that Andrew Paul Johnson was a person of interest in this case, he is presently incarcerated in British Columbia as a dangerous offender, at the time of Kimberly's disappearance, he was a resident of the Halifax area.

D1

The media is another story, why has the media given Murrin such a soft ride since his acquittal? He is showing up on numerous missing person cases even here on this board. He talks alot, likes to talk to the camera's and quite forcefully defends himself like an innocent man would. We saw some of that again recently with the Drew Petterson case. Some are better at that than others.

The media will recite "legal' reasons for why they can't publish and pursue Murrin. He after all was found "not guilty" in the Mindy Tran case and someone else has either confessed or been arrested for most of the other cases he has been implicated in. But new ones like this keep popping up and very little is being said.

But that still doesn't explain everything, how about his recent arrest on drug charges? It was announced, a rookie cop on a routine check finds a large quantity of drugs in the possession of Murrin and two others. They were all charged. What happened afterwards?? Good question?? Charges dropped? Media??... explain that..

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:51:50 PM by D1 »

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax, NS
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »
It will be 20 years tomorrow since Kimberly disappeared after leaving her job at Canadian Tire in Halifax. A segment of her disappearance is going to be on CTV news tomorrow eveing at 6:00 p.m. This was the biggest mystery for Nova Scotia, I am sure, ever. Everyone has speculated on what happened to Kimberly. In my opinion, I believe Kimberly could have been abducted by strangers who were watching her. I don't believe that she would have taken a ride, because she knew she was meeting up with friends. She was in a mall, this was vacation time and people from all over the world visit Halifax in the summer time, so it could have been an out of state person that took her. I am only thinking this, because how could someone disappear in broad daylight. So watch the news tomorrow evening and there will be a portion of it dedicated to Kimberly's disappearance.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Kimberly Ann McAndrew - August 12, 1989 - Age 19 - Missing - Halifax, NS
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
Wake up Nova Scotia ..... get the conversation going and keep it going around the Halifax area.  Somebody knows something ... even if they think they don't.
I watched the piece on the late news last night.  IMO - It's impossible to think this girl could have survived her obductor/s and would not have been in contact by now, or returned.   The tips given by jail inmate/s seem real to me;  I just think they are off a bit.  There's so much land surrounding cities that it's pretty easy to mistake when someone tells you they were in this spot or that spot.  My gut instinct tells me Kimberly was left behind by her obductor/s ....either there or elsewhere.  It's just a matter of which slimebag did this.  I believe police got the tips right, but their informant/s got the area wrong.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here