Author Topic: Chris Kelly Murdered in early 80s (Kristie Fowlie)  (Read 12058 times)

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
Chris Kelly Murdered in early 80s (Kristie Fowlie)
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
When I was 17 I had a friend who was murdered. Her name was Christine Kelly. She would have been 16-17 years old. I have long wondered what became of this case. She was a very nice person and loved to talk and joke around. She was not a sex worker. We both belonged to a church group and we would meet downtown at the Mustardseed.
I know she disappeared while walking home and was found in Sooke on a logging road. I was contracted by the police to see if I had any info. I read about the crime in the Times Colonist the next day. I have never heard another detail.

I would really like to know what happened and have some closure. Was it solved? Or is it still an open case. I called the police and enquired but they wouldn't comment, period.

I have recently thought that the Green River killer may have been responsible. He looked familiar to me when he was arrested. I hear he was active within street churches too. 

I would appreciate any news, or hearing from others curious about this case. She may have used a different name as I think her parents were divorced. This also could be part of the reason I have heard nothing.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:06:51 PM by oldfriendbill »

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
Re: Chris Kelly Murdered in early 80s
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
I think it must have been 1981 and summer. I know it doesn't show up anywhere on the internet. If it were solved, where would I find that info? BTW thanks for your help.

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
Now I may be wrong about that date. It could have been as early as 1979.

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:34:55 PM »

OK I found a record of the crime occuring in Sooke. There is no mention whether it's been solved.

from Hwy of Tears

"SOOKE, Dec. 3, '82: Kristie Kathleen Fowlie, 18

Fowlie's partly clad body was found next to a logging road east of Sooke.
She had worked as a prostitute, but had become a born-again Christian. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled."

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »
Any more news? If this is a cold case I'd like to know? Why was it so hard for me to even find a record that it happened?

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »

Hi Bill, I will try to find more info tonight, but there may not be much out there. This happens, and it is frustrating.

Until then, we all have to keep trying. It is sad, as this person was loved, and there is little info available.

Keep on Keeping on...Bill, and I hope some answers are found soon. THX>

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »
I've had this feeling about Gary Ridgeway since I first saw him on the news. The police should investigate this tip if they already haven't.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

Hi, Is Sooke, close to Kamloops? There have been murders there.

Also, Gary Ridgeway, was known to come to Canada, lower BC, for "vacations". He was spotted in the Vancouver area, by a few people. ???

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »
No, Sooke is a remote comunity west of Victoria BC.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »
If a young girl aged 17 was murdered, and it was not solved, chances are there would be something about it somewhere. Either police, newspaper, or family members. If you have access to a library with local papers on the computer, you could probably do a search and see if you can find anything.

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
New info. Ok, It is an open case.

I hate that this just seems forgotten. She was a witty, chatty person, who was very out going. I was not aware of the prostitution she was supposedly involved in. That seems a stretch from the person I knew.

I would like to talk to the law enforcement people who are responsible for this case some time. She lived in Victoria, but the crime scene was in Sooke. Does that mean Sooke RCMP would be in charge?

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Kelly Murdered in early 80s (Kristie Fowlie)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
I read on a link somewhere that she had been a prostitute in the past but had turned her life around and was a born again christian. I guess that you met her after that had already happened. I'm sure if she could, she would smile knowing that you still think about her and are trying to make sure that she is not forgotten. 

haunted

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »
The rough time frame and location could also include Clifford Olson as I am sure he is good for many more crimes than admitted to, spanning a lot greater period of time than we all think.

oldfriendbill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
Thanks for your comment. I wonder if victoria has a cold case investigator?

BC Ident

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:11 AM »
I wonder if this had any connection with a previous criminal from the early 70's. I think I may have some info in my files somewhere.

Does anyone remember this case?

It was a man who abducted a teenager in downtown Victoria off of Belleville St. He raped his victim in his car and then threw her off a bridge in Sooke which had a 30 foot drop to the creek below and left her to die. Fortunately (if I remember correctly), a cyclist heard her moans and spotted her. The abductor was convicted for her rape but not for her attempted murder. There wasn't enough evidence for the charge or enough to convict. He would have been out in the late 70's, early 80's on good behaviour. He was living on Hillside Ave. at the time of his crime.