Author Topic: Sam Lottery | Unsolved Murder (January 1996)  (Read 7502 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Sam Lottery | Unsolved Murder (January 1996)
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »
From the London Free Press.  I did a cursory site search for this name, but couldn't find any thread on him.

---------------------------------------

Discovery 'just more heartache' for parents of Sam Lottery

By PATRICK MALONEY

The London Free Press     

An enduring London mystery took an unexpected twist last night when a skull found this week was identified as that of long-missing teenager Sam Lottery.

While the discovery made Tuesday along the banks of the Thames River at Greenway Park could revive the investigation into the bizarre case, it has also re-opened a wound for the family that lost their son more than a decade ago.

"This is not giving me hope. It's just more heartache," said Tathlin Lottery. She said she and her husband, Errol, leaned on their faith to accept the loss of their son years ago.

"The Lord comforted me. I know the Lord and I trust him. He keeps me going."

The 18-year-old was last seen Jan. 19, 1996. The case grew more intriguing in May 1997 when some of his bones were found in the Thames River.

Police at the time considered the Beal student's death "suspicious."

Last night, Lottery minced no words about her concerns.

"I felt he was murdered," she said.

The proof, she noted, was in two threatening letters, one delivered to the Lottery's church three weeks after the disappearance and another to the family home six months later.

In a 1999 Free Press story, Lottery said the first letter contained a picture from her son's wallet and an unsigned note that she said stated, "They had killed him and that he was in the river."

One of the lead investigators was Dave Lucio, who was murdered last year by London police officer Kelly Johnson.

In 1999, Lucio called those letters "the heart of the investigation."

No clues to the cause of death could be drawn from the first remains. It was unclear last night if the skull has provided any new answers.

Andrew Nelson, a University of Western Ontario anthropologist who helped police to identify the skull, wouldn't discuss the case specifically, but detailed generally how such a process works.

The goal is to establish an "osteo-biography" -- the person's life story, as told through their bones -- and the age, gender and ancestry can all be determined just by examining the skull.

If police have a candidate, that person's dental records can be compared to the skull's teeth, Nelson said. That may explain how Lottery was identified so quickly this week.

That fast turnaround is especially noteworthy given the case history: The remains found near Blackfriars Bridge in May 1997 weren't identified as Lottery until 1999 -- three years after his disappearance.

The case has since joined the infamous list of the city's mysteries, frequently referenced alongside the 1977 shooting death of cabbie Ivan Wheeler and the 1998 bombing of T. J. Baxter's bar.

A $10,000 reward has been offered to anyone with information that reveals the facts around the death or leads to a conviction in the case.

Last night, a composed Tathlin Lottery said if her son's death was a homicide, justice will eventually be served, either in this life or beyond.

"I have hope. But at the same time, I just leave it with the lord. The Bible said no sin will go unpunished."

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:34:56 AM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Skull identified as long-missing teen
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:34:20 AM »
Werid, I have never heard of this case. Thanks for posting it.

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Sam Lottery | Unsolved Murder (January 1996)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
Official post on the London Police Service site:

Unsolved Homicide Samuel Lottery 1996

On January 19, 1996 Samuel Lottery, 17 years of age, was reported missing to the London Police Service.

In March 1996, a letter was found at the "Pillar of Fire Church" located at 27 Gunn Street in London. Members of the Lottery family attended the church regularly. The letter contained information about Sam Lottery and included a photograph of him that was determined to have come from his wallet.

In November 1996, a second letter was received at the Lottery family residence in London. That letter also contained information about Sam Lottery and was written on the stationary shown below.

In May 1997 a number of human bones were located along the Thames River south of the Blackfriars Bridge. Using DNA technology, the bones were determined to be the remains of Sam Lottery.

In November 2003, a lower mandible (jawbone) was recovered from the bank of the Thames River near Napier Street. In April 2008 a human skull was recovered from the bank of the Thames River east of the Guy Lombardo Bridge. Those remains were identified as belonging to Sam Lottery.

Members of the London Police Service have continued to investigate the death of Sam Lottery. As a result of the investigation, including forensic testing of his remains, police have determined Sam Lottery's death was the result of a homicide.

Investigators do not believe this was a random incident. Information collected strongly suggests Sam Lottery was targeted by a person or persons known to him. Investigators believe more than one person has knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the murder of Sam Lottery. It is incumbent on those with knowledge of this homicide to come forward and speak with investigators. Although a number of tips have been received from members of the public, investigators require further detailed information in order to bring this matter to a successful conclusion and provide closure for the Lottery family, and justice for Sam Lottery.

Investigators are urging anyone with information about this homicide, to contact the London Police Service Major Crime Section at 519-661-5674, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or online at the London Crime Stoppers Website.

http://police.city.london.on.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/2009317.htm

Have faith

• View Profile