Author Topic: Paul Bernardo  (Read 18785 times)

Desespere

  • Guest
Paul Bernardo
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
Last night I heard a brief snippet on the news, I can't recall if it was CTV or CBC but it said something about a man who has been in jail 16 years for a murder and now there is thought that he could be innocent and the finger is pointed at Bernardo.
I can't find anything on the Internet today about this, has anyone heard anything?

debbiec

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 4773
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
Des,  is this Robert Boltovitch that was accused of the murder of his girlfriend Elizabeth Bain in 1992? Her body has never been recovered as far as I know. I have read that Paul Bernardo is a suspect in that.

debbiec

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 4773
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
Just found an article on the internet that says that Robert Baltovich will go to court for the second time on charges that he killed his girlfriend Elizabeth Bain in 1990. She went missing on June 19, 1990 and has never been found although her car was recovered with her blood in it three days after she went missing. I guess he was released on bail on March 31, 2000 exactly 8 years after he was convicted the first time. He will face a new trial as he is charged with second degree murder. He has pled not guilty.The jury is expected to start hearing evidence on April 14th. Paul Bernardo is a suspect in her murder. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:37:33 PM by debbiec »

rlaughton

  • Member
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
Prison video, circumstantial evidence point to Bernardo as suspect
KIRK MAKIN

JUSTICE REPORTER

April 23, 2008

Serial killer Paul Bernardo hesitated for a moment before answering a key question posed to him by police last year during a prison interview: Had he murdered Elizabeth Bain?

"That's a loaded question," he replied.

Mr. Bernardo said that responding to it would necessitate talking about "time sequences" and whether his ex-wife - Karla Homolka - had played a role.

Pressed for a direct answer, he told the officers: "The answer to that is, no. But the 800-pound gorilla in the room is - that's a life-25 sentence. It all comes down to credibility - not only credibility but the timeline, and my role and Karla's role. But my answer is no."

The fascinating video clip - suppressed under a publication ban until yesterday - was played in a Toronto courtroom last fall during a pretrial motion to decide whether Mr. Bernardo's possible involvement in the Bain murder could be used as defence evidence at Robert Baltovich's murder trial.

Mr. Baltovich has become increasingly enamoured of the idea that Mr. Bernardo's rampage of sexual violence in the Scarborough area in the early 1990s culminated in the slaying of Ms. Bain.

In an interview yesterday, defence counsel James Lockyer said that - notwithstanding the "kid gloves" treatment Mr. Bernardo was given by the police officers who interviewed him at Kingston Penitentiary - his response to their key question was "very incriminating.

"My view is that Bernardo probably committed this crime," Mr. Lockyer said. "Can I say that it could be proved beyond a reasonable doubt? No, I couldn't. But I think he probably did it."

On the surface, there is a compelling circumstantial case to be made that Mr. Bernardo - who was convicted in 1995 of murdering Ontario schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy - is a likely suspect.

To begin with, Mr. Bernardo perpetrated his crimes in precisely the area of Scarborough where Ms. Bain lived and went to school. In addition:

A restaurant owner told police shortly after Ms. Bain disappeared that he saw her with a blond man at a restaurant that Mr. Bernardo was known to frequent. (Mr. Bernardo had his hair dyed blond at the time.)

Another witness said that she saw Ms. Bain arguing with a blond man in a red jeep at a bar where Mr. Bernardo sometimes went to socialize.

One of Mr. Bernardo's former girlfriends also told police that he had been introduced to Ms. Bain at a campus cafeteria before her disappearance, and that he had a long-standing hatred of women with her appearance because of a girlfriend who had once jilted him.

At the end of the pretrial motion, Mr. Justice David McCombs of Ontario Superior Court ruled that the defence would be permitted to present evidence of Mr. Bernardo's convictions and the location of his sexual assaults.

"In evaluating the evidence against Mr. Baltovich, the jury should not - in my opinion - be deprived of the proven or undisputed evidence relating to Bernardo," he said.

Judge McCombs noted that one of the most violent rapes committed by Mr. Bernardo took place on May 26, 1990 - only three weeks before Ms. Bain disappeared. He also noted that store receipts found at Mr. Bernardo's home in St. Catharines, Ont., in 1993 showed that he had been in the Scarborough area on June 6, 14, 20, 21, 22, 28 and 29, 1990.

However, Judge McCombs also ruled that the defence could not use any of the evidence relating to the sightings of Ms. Bain with a blond man.

"In my opinion, if this unproven evidence were admitted, it manifestly would lead to protracted, tangential inquiries - or worse, separate trials within this trial," he said. "It would distract the jurors and lead to confusion, delay and serious prejudice to the trial process."

The prosecution received another pretrial blow when the Supreme Court of Canada issued a ruling last year in the case of Regina v. Trochym that effectively knocked out two witnesses whose memories had been enhanced by the use of hypnotism.

As a fallback position, the Crown sought to enter their evidence by way of written statements they made to police early in the investigation, before they were hypnotized.

However, Mr. Justice David Watt ruled last fall that their evidence had not been carefully recorded by police, and was generally too frail to be considered reliable.

*****

Tracking Paul Bernardo's Greater Toronto attacks

Paul Bernardo, known at the time as the "Scarborough rapist", carried out a series of sexual attacks in Toronto's east end between 1987 and late June, 1990, just three weeks before Elizabeth Bain disappeared.

1987

1-Monday, May 4

2-Thursday, May 14

3-Monday, July 27

4-Wednesday, Dec. 16

5-Wednesday, Dec. 23

1988

6-Monday, Apr. 18

7-Wednesday, Nov. 16

8-Tuesday, Dec. 27

1989

9-Tuesday, June 20

10-Monday, July 10

11-Tuesday, Aug. 15

12-Tuesday, Nov.21

13-Friday, Dec. 22

1990

14-Saturday, May 26

15-Wednesday, June 6

16-Saturday, June 16

17-Wednesday, June 20

18-Thursday, June 21

19-Thursday, June 21

20-Friday, June 22

21-Wednesday, June 27

22-Thursday, June 28

23-Thursday, June 28

24-Friday, June 29

SOURCE: TORONTO POLICE

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:42:28 PM by rlaughton »

Chris

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7215
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »
He could be just trying to screw with the police. It would not surprise me at all if Bernardo did it. Him and Karla. Just wish he would come clean and admit it.


Im_new_here2

  • Guest
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
Robert Baltovick was on Legal Breifs on monday night on city tv. They certinly gace the impression that as of right now if they went to trial they have enough circumstantial evidence to convict bernardo.I seen the dates you put up about the rapes and where he was and where she was but they also said that paul and ms bain actually were introduced to one another in college or universitty i thought that was interesting but if this happend in i think 1990 someone said something about karla but they werent together or even had met yet had they so wouldnt this be all on his own they also mentioned a red jeep somewhere i allways thought the car he drove was a blue camero maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me and mixing details of other cases ..What i would like to know is why the hell this guy thinks he will ever be released was he not considered a  dangerous offender status i thought that ment u could never get out and besides would he really want out if i was him im thinking my ass is prolly a hell of alot safer in P.C in jail then to be walking down the streets i dont think it would be long before someone took it in to there own hands to make him dissapear......all said though can someone help me here is it possible i know not likley but is it possible he could be released does he get parole hearings allready and what about the dangerous offender status does that not mean like actuall life in prison.???

debbiec

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 4773
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
I have read that Karla Holmolka was born in May of 1970 and that she was 17 when she met Paul Bernardo so that makes it 1987. She definitely would have known him at the time of Elizabeth Bain's dissapearance on June 19,1990.The article I read said that they were engaged by 1990. Actually it was Karla who found some of the victims and bought them to Paul so I guess you could say it was their style, although I don't know how many times that happened.Paul felt that he should be able to take the virginity of Karla's younger sister Tammy to make up for the fact that Karla was not a virgin the way he would have wanted It. Karla went along with that witch  ended up resulting in her sister's death when something went terribly wrong and she choked on her own vomit while she was drugged. After that Karla presented Paul with another 15 year old  virgin to replace Tammy as a surprise gift (I don't know if I've ever heard her name) She was also drugged and raped but had no memory of it so maybe that is why they let her live. I have never seen anything that has ever made me think that Karla was one of his victims although I guess if she liked it enough to join him we will probably never know.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:33:29 PM by debbiec »

Im_new_here2

  • Guest
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »
Yes debbie'c ... I never new the time line as far as when they had met but i do know that elizabeth bain was introduced to paul bernardo at school so if u say they were together at 17 maybe paul met her while he was dating karla and thus became their first victom when u think about the odd comments he made when questioned about this case it seems to kinda fit...HOWEVER THIS IS ALL J.M.O

Adrian

  • Member
  • Posts: 3102
  • RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
Psychopaths meet::::

I have a hard time speaking of Karla, and Bernardo. It defies my imagination, that TWO, young, good looking, babyfaced couples could turn out to be scum sucking pigs. Maybe that was part of the problems of catching them, they were smooth, almost angelic looking at times, seemingly out going couple.They were a perfect set to entrap someone! Giggling. laughing, being friendly, clean, but a cesspool beneath the surface.

Perhaps that is why looks, don't bother me.  I just wish that Karla did get dangerous offender status, as well as Bernardo, (who I think, may have).

These two psychoes, filmed their victims, participated together, and Karla, was right there grinning and laughing as these kids died.I don't even know why Karla was allowed to leave the country???? She as well as he, tortured, raped, degraded, humiliated, and killed their victims, as well as kidnapping , and holding them., against their will. >:(

wildchild

  • Member
  • Posts: 23
  • My Baby Dolly
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
I thought you all might like to read this....

    
Lawyer: Bernardo will leave jail in 'pine box'
By Michael Oliveira, THE CANADIAN PRESS
            

TORONTO - Paul Bernardo's designs on an early release from prison wouldn't stand a "cat in hell's chance" if the 12 men and women who originally convicted him in 1995 had any say in the matter, a former juror from the killer's trial said Thursday.

With transcripts of a police interview showing Bernardo hopes to one day use the so-called faint-hope clause to win his release, the families of his victims are once again faced with the terrifying prospect of him being freed.

The lawyer for the families said he's assured them the only way Bernardo is leaving Kingston Penitentiary is in a "pine box."

The court documents, made public in the wake of Robert Baltovich's acquittal in the Elizabeth Bain murder, detail an April 2006 interview in which Bernardo, now 43, said he was rehabilitated and would appeal to a "jury of my peers" to be released before the end of his mandatory 25-year sentence.

Eric Broadhurst, a juror at Bernardo's 1995 trial, said he's confident that no jury of average people - who he said Bernardo shouldn't think of as his "peers" - would even briefly consider releasing him.

"If it were the jury that I was a part of that convicted him, he wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance," said Broadhurst, 72, a retiree who lives in Waterloo, Ont.

"I just have to think that any jury would see through his flim-flam. He just simply does not deserve to come out of where he is - ever - and he should die in jail."

No jury would ever believe that Bernardo has truly changed and deserves to walk the streets again, said lawyer Tim Danson, who represents the families of teenagers Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French, who were kidnapped, viciously sexually assaulted and murdered by Bernardo.

"Mr. Bernardo will never, ever, be paroled and the only way in which he will be leaving prison is in a pine box," Danson said.

"It is understood that Paul Bernardo is a very, very dangerous psychopath and sexual predator, that he is an extremely disturbed and sick individual and he is beyond rehabilitation."

Following Baltovich's acquittal Tuesday, his lawyer James Lockyer pointed the finger at Bernardo as Bain's possible killer. Bernardo denied killing Bain during a 2007 police interview.

Several media outlets will make a motion before the court to have video of that interview released to the public.

Broadhurst said his first encounter with Bernardo was one of his "life-defining moments." The discomfort he felt when he first locked eyes with the killer grew into hatred after he heard the details of what Bernardo did to his victims.

"For a little minute, which felt like a half an hour, Paul Bernardo's blue steely eyes are staring right at me, and my eyes are staring right at him, and that was a very, very bone-chilling moment," Broadhurst recalled.

"(Bernardo is) just a disgusting, vile, horrible individual. He's not even a human being."

Bernardo's lawyer Tony Bryant said his client is currently eligible to make a faint-hope petition, although he's not aware of any imminent plans to do so.

"I can't comment (on whether Bernardo is still seeking early release) because I don't know," he said.

Transcripts of Bernardo's jailhouse interview detail his hopes to use the Criminal Code's faint-hope clause to try to get parole.

"I'm going to throw it to a jury of my peers, throw it to the Canadian people," Bernardo told police. "You know I can't change the past, you know all I can do is change myself and I tried to do that."

The justice system can't afford to give Bernardo another chance, and doing so would certainly end in tragedy, Danson said.

"If anyone ever put Paul Bernardo back out on the street, you might as well prepare a death warrant, and all that's left is to wait to fill in the name of his next victim," he said.

University of Toronto law professor and defence lawyer Peter Rosenthal agreed that the odds of Bernardo being released are "very, very small."

"It's virtually impossible," he said, adding the only chance Bernardo might have is decades from now as an old man, but even then, the public will not have forgotten what he did.

"With the modern era of communications, any time he would seek parole I think (his record) would come back to haunt," Rosenthal said.

"The extent of his crimes was so huge and the nature of them so grotesque that it seems inconceivable that he'd ever be allowed out on parole."

Bernardo is "where he should be," said Ontario Attorney General Chris Bentley.

"He was convicted, he was sentenced," Bentley said.

"The Crown fought the case very hard and will resist any attempts for him to be released early."

In addition to his 25-year sentence, Bernardo was also declared a dangerous offender, which means he will be in jail indefinitely and almost certainly remain there for life.

Chris

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7215
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »
Well, all he has to do now is work to sheed doubt on his guilt and at some point he could get out. That is why that deal with Karla could come back to haunt them.

A good lawyer will attempt to blame most of the killing on Karla, and since they have proof now on video of what happened, his offender status could in fact change.

Which means they would have to let him out at some point. Who knows right??

Concerned

  • Member
  • Posts: 3541
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Found this synopsis while reading the comparison with Russell Williams. 
Quote
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/873244--col-russell-williams-a-serial-killer-like-none-police-have-seen

Have faith

  • Member
  • Posts: 981
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
Link below to today's Toronto Sun interview with PB's father Ken.  With the closing of the Kingston Pen, PB has been transferred to Millhaven.



http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/09/20130926-163820.html

An update on Karla Homolka:  New name is Leanne Bordelais.  Her husband Thierry Bordelais is the brother of her lawyer Sylvie Bordelais.  Leanne and Thierry live on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe with their son and two daughters. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/26/karla-homolka-has-tried-to-dodge-public-eye


Modified to add Homolka link.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:49:56 PM by Have faith »

PandaBearKitty

  • Guest

jellybean

  • Member
  • Posts: 8194
  • Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Bernardo
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »
After 25 years, he will have served his time, and he will be free again to walk the streets.

He just might be given day parole, with a view, to ease him back into society.

I think it should be the other way around.  Society should be braced once again, for Paul Bernardo.

jb