Author Topic: Our Justice System  (Read 38119 times)

dcollins

• View Profile
Re: Our Justice System
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
 We have to many followers now what we need is the people to realize government is for them not the other way around every group wants to be leader that the  rest will follow. if we want stronger laws every politician has to be responsible. The teen suicide rate has gone up drastically in the last ten years and so has crime rate when will we learn that we are responsible for the people we elect and not join a party for the sake of popularity. 

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:58 AM »
Actually the crime rate in Canada is falling and has been for a number of years (see previous threads for links to the data).  I am not sure of the teen suicide rate - one of the highest in the world - but I beleive it has levelled off and may be falling too.

We don't need to join a part for popularity, nor join a popular party.  Any party will do and it would be best if people of all political stripes joined in so that all the politicians get the message.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
well said Shwa

dcollins

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
It is minority groups that pressure the government to water down laws so that criminals have more sympathy and get off with lighter sentencing. This has always been the problem the government uses presidence  in stead of common sense and when they pass unnatural laws without consent of majority. There are groups that have pressured the laws to be changed to make it more Convenient for those who know how to manipulate and use them for their own advantage. Young people are so confused about the morals of this country. There are more immoral things happening today than the past. Young people follow groups as a way to belong and become followers that will believe what these groups are saying regardless of truth. What two consenting adults do is there responsibility but when the government changes laws to help unnatural things to happen that is ours.   Kids are killing kids  and younger kids are drug addicts or joining gangs that kill others over drugs and money there is a increase but people only want to believe what makes them comfortable. 

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
"It is minority groups that pressure the government to water down laws so that criminals have more sympathy and get off with lighter sentencing."

I hardly think so.  For the Aboriginal "minority" group they make up some 4% of the population, but account for some 20% of the prison population.  The number is astounding when you consider that most of that 20% are male.  Whatever watering down is going on, it is not in the favour of the native folks is it?

I am not sure if the rest of the prison population is proportional, but I believe it is.  However, the only other group that gets any sort of special treatment are youth and they are certainly not a minority group.  Any changes to the laws on the behalf of youth were made by adults - a representative group of the majority.

I think it is misleading to say that there are "more" immoral things happening nowadays without an acknowledgement of a few key factors - one, that the population has increased and two, that the availability of information has increased.  This means that more people know of more things done by more people.  But that does not exonerate people in the past.  I mean, I am sure I, or most anyone else on this board, could provide plenty of information about immoral and horrific crimes of the past - and that is just the stuff that is known to us now, the stuff that was reported back then and the information that made it to light to be recorded.

As has been presented elsewhere, we know the crime rate is dropping.  While that might not be a clear indicator of morals, what it does indicate is that, proportionally, more people are committing less crime - despite the news reports of gang mayhem, drugs and murders.  But if one were to take a detailed look at history one will find that youth gangs and gangs of all types have existed in urban areas since the beginning of time.

"...but people only want to believe what makes them comfortable."  I tend to agree with this, but I can also add thatsome people only want to believe out of fear and presently the government obliges them.  What I am saying is that if the grassroots get involved we can not only change that ethic of fear, but also provide a real measure of community safety through common sense awareness of the problems.

And one of those problems is releasing an out of control brute into a neighbourhood that ought to be locked up instead of making bail.  That has nothing to do with anyone's race, religion or creed or colour, but more to do with judges with very poor judgement.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 11:22:48 PM »

Excellent post Shwa!!! I wish I could speak like you.  :)

There have been gangs since time immorable, but lately we have the many prison gangs of all nationaliteis coming out of the wood work. Not to make anyone feel bad, but we got the Nazis, the skinheads, the tribal gangs, the biker gangs, kid gangs, and it should stop. The drugs are coming thru., fast and furious, and many are on the sreet to survive. There appears no law
 and order

Shwa:

I hardly think so.  For the Aboriginal "minority" group they make up some 4% of the population, but account for some 20% of the prison population.  The number is astounding when you consider that most of that 20% are male.  Whatever watering down is going on, it is not in the favour of the native folks is it?''
I have had my sons stopped, and id'ed, and they were told, they were using a false name" Because no F'ing Indian like you has to have a record. They even called my work.My one son has been stopped in a van repeatedly, as it was nice, and he saved for it from his job. It was only $3,000.00 dollars.

There are way too many Natives in Jail, Period. Do you actually believe that natives should have to take, killings, swarmings, and humiliation, and continue to feel good about them selves?Women, and men are being KILLED! WE have to do something, and I do believe the Creator will step in, or guide us in our ways.

I think if you done the crime, pay for it, but there is a difference in a scrap BTW friends, and deliberately killing, there is a difference.When so much racism was going on, did people suspect happy results??

What do you think? I am trying not to place the race card, but ya know, it is now a reality.I can fit in both worlds, but a native always knows their sister, and my sons turned very angry in their teen years. Big changes were made, but self esteem, is hard to get.

dcollins

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »
 Do not misunderstand what I was saying it has to do with past and present children are victims because they do not know who they might be communicating with over the internet it has nothing to do with race and every thing to do with preventing predators from preying on unsuspecting people. If people like following groups that is up to them. AS far as aboriginals they have gotten a raw deal from government from beginning but this is not the site or place to talk about it

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:38 AM »
dcollins; I assumed by minority groups, you meant groups who were directly responsible for "the young offender's act"  for instance.... also maybe "the John Howard Society"  ...am I on the right track here?  I didn't think you meant minority races, I thought you meant minority causes.???

dcollins

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »
Yes this is what I was trying to communicate we as the people need to pressure our government into changing laws and it will take a lot of people to make them change

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
"it will take a lot of people to make them change"

But the problem right now is that folks who take up the cause of looking to strengthen laws or certain laws, themselves are known as a minority cause.  Most people are silent on the subject and silence means approval.  Status quo.

I don't think there is necessarily a need to confront the government in a public way.  The government can be very insular when it wants and usually the they put the bureaucracy out in front to take the brunt of the confrontation.  But hey, 100,000 people are Parliament Hill could make a difference.  But a few backbenching MP's petiting for reform could make a bigger difference.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2008, 03:43:05 AM »
I diagree it takes a lot of people to make big changes. I think it takes a lot of people to become aware of an issue though for those changes to happen. Yes, it can happen instantly like the one Shwa used in the 80's, but it can also start small, like MADD, it took years but it has had an affect and now in Alberta if you kill someone while drunk, you go to jail no matter what.

I assume Minority group you mean special interest group.

I think most of those groups who want 'rehabilative justice' may have good intentions, but IMO those ideals are not the correct one. Although I do agree the crime rate is going down in general, no doubt gang violence and drug wars are going up. Crime rates have dropped at about the same rate the poverty rate has been dropping, so it is not very accurate to give credit to the justice system in full.

THe mistake is not recognizing there is a difference between a young guy stealing stereos and pedophiles and violent people. Lumping all these together means they all get huge breaks in the system. Justice does mean the victim needs to feel a certain measure of justice is done too, and too often, those people have to watch a man that raped them get out on bail and then either get the charges dropped or a short sentence in the name of rehabilitation or because the laws are to unbalenced to favor the criminal.

With sex crimes and violent crimes, there can be no alternative to hard time and for a long time. Sure it may not 'fix' that person, but it keeps them away from the rest of us. Those people are not likely to change so if there are rehab resources, they should be used for younger criminals who still have a chance to make something with there lives.

Maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with our just-us system is the judges. I believe that judges should have to run for office just like they do in the states. I seen too many cases where judges look after their buddies and these drug dealers and what ever criminals get off with a light sentence or nothing. I don't believe in capital punishment for the simple reason there is too much corruption in our system and some innocent person can be framed for a murder like Donald Marshall and David Milgaard. Picture if there had been put to death. What are they going to say then, oops. I believe the punishment should fit the crime. If a person murdered someone they should stay in prison and only come out in a box. When it is a sexual crime especially when it is a child, the criminal should be castrated and only allowed in an area that is far in the woods where there is no human contact. Try and have sex with a bear. See who is in control and who wins. I also believe that when these criminals are in prison, don't give them special treatment, put them out in the general public and see how long they last. And for the people on the outside that have evil minds, once they know this goes on in a prison they may think twice before they act.

dcollins

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
There was a reporter that said a woman was murdered and she was a prostitute it angered me because this was no woman it was a lost little girl of fifteen that died to young. The government passes laws that are unnatural and Canada has become a hiding place for the worst criminals in the world. If we want morals and safety then our government has to start acting more practical and pass laws that actually helps stop criminals. The law as it is now the victim gets punished and criminals that are predators get a revolving door. It is time for people to go to there MLA,s and demand stronger and tougher laws to protect innocent women and children.

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Its time our Justice system was set up to involve ALL people - regardless of age, race, what they did for a living. Period!

Vlug Fietsen

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »
Justice and keep your mouth shut... 

Those who are in power in "Our Justice System" their jobs are To maintain the status quo

I personally do not trust the Judicial System of Canada as they put politics before people... Canada is in fact, no better than many other countries. Wow what a surprise. It's just shocking! it can't be, not in Canada... what a joke.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:31:58 PM by Vlug Fietsen »