Author Topic: Joyce Marie Cardinal - Murdered - November 1993 - Edmonton  (Read 6389 times)

Desespere

Joyce Marie Cardinal - Murdered - November 1993 - Edmonton
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »
The story of Joyce Cardinal is at Missing Native Women site at this link:
http://www.missingnativewomen.org/alberta.htm

The information there says a man was arrested in Abbotsford, BC on August 10, 2000. His name is Todd Christopher Elliot and he was 25 in Aug, 2000. Joyce's murder was deemed a stranger murder and the murder was quite heinous. At the time of the murder a man was seen running away with a gas can in his hand. At the time of the murder, Todd would have been 18. I have no more information about him and wondered about him being so young at the time. What an insane thing to do. I wonder if this guy went on to do other evil things until his arrest 7 years later.

I don't know if he was convicted.

Snipped from the site linked above.
JOYCE MARIE CARDINAL, aged of Edmonton, 1993.
Ms. Cardinal was beaten, doused with Gasoline and burned alive in 1993. She was doused with so much gasoline that flames from her body were five feet high and she was still burning when fire trucks arrived some time later to put out what had been reported as a rubbish fire. Fire fighters put out the flames by packing snow on her body (water would have been fatal if it had been used on the frigid November Alberta night).
Amazingly, Cardinal lived for 22 days before succumbing to her injuries just before Christmas in 1993.
Original media accounts of the savage crime against an unidentified woman sparked powerful outrage from the community. However, when she was identified a few days later as a "mentally disabled native woman," community interest in the case dropped rapidly. A police spokesperson remarked that sudden community loss of interest in the case was making it difficult to investigate.
Joyce Cardinal's family were quick to point out that Joyce was not mentally impaired but that many people who did not know her thought that she was because she had a severe speech impairment. This distinction was important to Joyce's family, probably because it had been important to Joyce. Ms. Cardinal is again identified as "mentally-handicapped" in the August 11, Edmonton Sun newsstory of the arrest.
Without much public help, the police made little porgress on the case.
Joyce had left a party at a cousin's apartment shortly before midnight, about 45 minutes before her burning body was discovered. A man had been seen running not far from the fire carrying a gas can.
Now, police believe that they have that man in custody. On August 10, 2000, Police indicated that they had arrested a suspect in the gruesome 1993 murder of Joyce Marie Cardinal.
The case had been invstigated since 1998 by Edmonton's three-person Historical Homicide Unit (AKA the cold case squad). Todd Christopher Elliot, 25, was arrested in Abbottsford, BC. He is believed to have been a stranger to Ms. Cardinal.
Several members of the Cardinal family have expressed relief that a suspect is finally in custody.
Outcome of trial is not yet known.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:30:17 AM by Chris »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Marie Cardinal - November 1993 - Murdered
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:42 AM »
This Turns My Stomach !!!!

Now, police believe that they have that man in custody. On August 10, 2000, Police indicated that they had arrested a suspect in the gruesome 1993 murder of Joyce Marie Cardinal.
The case had been invstigated since 1998 by Edmonton's three-person Historical Homicide Unit (AKA the cold case squad). Todd Christopher Elliot, 25, was arrested in Abbottsford, BC

Des, I checked up for Todd Christopher Elliot, and couldn't find him. >:( This sick psycho, performed a horrific act on this young lady, a slow and painful death, he had to be psychotic, sadistic, and cruel, beyond our wildest imaginations. I wonder if this fuc*er is still locked up, or let out on good behaviour. If he does 2/3 rds of his sentance, then there is a possibility he could be out. Depending how they charged him. If life, he has a lot more years. I wonder if he was incarcerated in Jail, or in a Mental Hospital.

This sicko, perverted whacko, had it planned if he was seen running with a can. He was going to torch something, and I bet when he saw Joyce, he picked her. I wonder how many arsons he did?

So the reality is, he had 7 years to go about his daily life, and also continue with his burning, and killing. From what I have read in the DSM IV, Pyromania, is a paraphillia, right up there, with peeping, beastiality,sadism, pedophillia, and others as equally as sick.

Hasn't there been burnings in Abbotsford? These kinds of sicko's, just don't stop. Hell, we had burnings up here, down in southern Bc, and I think Calgary. What is going on? I want to find where this creep is.Also Chilliwack, BC. I wonder if he partied at the Picktons? I am looking into this further. Thanks Des, for being on the uptake concerning the times, of when he did it, and when caught. Thank Heavens for the Cold Squad, for not giving up.

To the Cardinal family, I wish you peace, and may the memories fade as you remember your dear Joyce, as she was growing up.With both love and tears, I silently weep, your beloved is with our Creator...

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Marie Cardinal - November 1993 - Murdered
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »
http://www.ammsa.com/Windspeaker/topnews-Dec-2001.html

Elder Bertha Clark-Jones presents a M?tis sash to Detective Freeman Taylor Oct. 19 at a gala in Edmonton put on by the Institute for the Advancement of Aboriginal Women. Taylor was recognized for bringing justice in the case of Joyce Cardinal, who was beaten and set on fire on Nov. 27, 1993. She died in hospital a month later. Freeman continued to follow the prime suspect who lived in British Columbia and in August 2000, Todd Elliot was arrested and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison with no chance for parole for 15 years.

Photo: Inna Dansereau

So the possibility is he could be out in about 8 years. The Detective receives award. Please press link. Thankyou...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:52:14 AM by Adrian »