Author Topic: The Nation River Lady - Found - May 3, 1975 - Casselman, ON  (Read 33735 times)

Desespere

The Nation River Lady - Found - May 3, 1975 - Casselman, ON
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
Unknown Female
COD: Strangled
DOB:
Date found: May 3, 1975
Location found: Casselman, ON
Date last seen: Fall 1974
Location last seen:

Unknown Female - Fall 1974 - Age: 25-50 - Murdered - Casselman - Remains of an adult female were found floating in the Nation River in the area of a bridge crossing Highway 417 approximately 60 km., east of Ottawa, Ontario on May 3, 1975. It is estimated that the remains may have been in the water since early fall 1974. An autopsy revealed the cause of death was strangulation. The victim had been strangled with a piece of cable television wire. Her hands and feet were tied with men's neckties, one of which is called "The Canadian Tie", which has three Canadian emblems on a navy background.
Caucasion - 45 to kg : 100 to lbs, 160 to cm : 5 ft 3 to in, shoulder length hair was originally dark brown, dyed reddish blonde, appendectomy scar, extensive dental work, partial dentures, manicured finger nails, varnished red, blue body shirt
Ontario Provincial Police-Casselman Detachment CASE #:    20050011 REWARD: $50,000
http://www.opp.ca/Investigative/UnidentifiedRemains/uclist/index.htm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:24:01 PM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: The Nation River Lady - Found - May 3, 1975 - Casselman, ON
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
Has anyone noticed a person who fits this description missing in Canada or the USA?

Looking at a map, this is right off the main highway from Ottawa to Montreal. Wonder if she was pushed in the river at this point or further down stream?

Because they have not ID'd this woman, and thus far I have not seen anything simular in Canada missing from that time, one has to wonder if she were american? Obviously not poor if she had a lot of dental work too.

It would be great if this case could be solved.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:48:42 AM »
Hmmmm.... lets fill the gaps with some assumptions to see if things fit.

Diane has "mental issues" and leaves home.  There is no information on what type or the nature of these mental issues, but lets say there is pressure.  Thorne is a small town in Northern Ontario and not really conducive to people with mental issues.  So she meets someone and skips town and goes to his house...  Very, very possible...

The items she was found with suggest a home base.  I don't know of anyone that carries around cable wire in their car or fringed green cloths (shawls?) and I doubt that would be included in any rape kit. It could be a cable install guy, but cable in the very early 70's was pretty rare and especially rare in the country side.  I have a sister that lives in Kenmore and my brother used to live in Limoges, so I am familiar with that area.  They would not have had cable in the early 1970's since it was just coming into wide use in Ottawa at the time.

So that piece of cable is interesting indeed.  Let's assume it is wire for cable television - if so then the murdered would likley be from a large urban area like Ottawa.  Since Ottawa sits in between Thorne and Casselman, it would be the 'big city.'  Being a luxury expense, your average cable user would likely not have torn apart his cable system to murder someone, but they would have had to have access to 'spare' cable.  Like a cable installer...

(The other side of it is that the wire was not for cable television, but coaxial cable for the early computer networks which, in the early 1970's would be rare and likely only used in the government at that time I think.)

So, now the neckties.  The murdered would have had to have ready access to the ties and that again suggests a man's home base or a travelling salesperson, but the latter is ruled out by the cable unless it is a sales sample.  But then the kitchen towel suggests the home base.

The woman was killed in a man's home in Ottawa and transported to the (South) Nations River.  There is "blood evidence" on the bridge that suggests death 1-4 weeks before discovery.  This "blood evidence" doesn't seem to match the newer investigation in 2005 which suggests the victim could have been killed as early as the fall.  Very little forensic evidence here to go on.  Plus, what are the chances that a body is dumped off the 417 bridge and remaining in the same spot for a length of time unless it was weighed down?  There isn't any indication that the body was setup to be weighted down in the river.

So the Nations River... or otherwise known as the South Nations River.

This river starts in Brockville and empties into the Ottawa river at Plantagenet.  A fairly strong current I would think, especially in the Spring with the rain and meltwaters since the river is known to flood.  It is wide at Casselman.  Since the body was found south of Casselman, at the 417 bridge, the dumping couldn't have come in the Cassleman area which is downstream.  But if the body was dumped near the 417 bridge, the body (if it wasn't weighted) should have ended up in Casselman due to currents.  Ideally, the 417 would be the spot to dump a body since it would have been the bypass for Casselman in the early 70's - it would have been secluded and remote.

Hmmmm.... the chances of the body being stationary over the winter is remote, yet the chances of the body being dumped further upstream are remote although I am sure there are many out of the way small bridges that cross the South Nations downstream.

So...it might be possible that the body was dumped or hidden on a bank of the South Nation and the flood waters brought the body into the river.  Or the body was weighted down somehow.  Or by sheer luck it stayed in one place...

Too bad we didn't have access to more forensic information...

george_p

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
The Cable was the flat type which was very common in the 1970,s nearly every home, in the country or towns used it on TV antenne,s

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »
George, I am reposting the OPP link since their site has changed from when this thread started.

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/files/250383112.8.pdf

"The victim had been strangled with a piece of cable television wire."

This is what throws me off, the specificity of the description using "cable television."  Of course, if it was antenna wire, yes, it would have been prevalent everywhere in those days.  However my presumption is based on the description which leans towards the coaxial cable type as opposed to the twin-lead type wire.  Now coax cable could have had more uses than just early cable TV including the use in government communications installations.

Do you have any more specifics about what wire was actually used?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
I am just wondering why they would not place a picture of the tie in the posting also. If she was tied up with neckties. This would presumably be from someone's home, possibly the wife was away and he may have met this lady and took her home. That would be great information, especially the tie. I mean would that be something that would be worn by persons in the legion, possibly for a remembrance day deal or something. Or could it be someone in the military that would wear this. It sure sounds like an outstanding clue, if they had brought it forward in the first days of discovering the remains. This could have been a big clue in getting the person who committed this crime. Also, it could have been in a motel that you drive into. The murderer could have taken her to a motel where you just drive in and the car is right outside of your room. If there were any rooms that had any TV wire missing, that would have been a really good lead. I would have been looking for motels in the area that you could drive into and park your car. Then I would be checking, what TV was without the wire to connect it to cable. Just some things I think would have been good to do. It is such a long time ago now that those records wouldn't be available. Sorry, I missed the part about the kitchen towel, so that would have been in a home. So why weren't these items put forth on TV. Only if the man lived alone, I guess that he would get away with it. I don't think it is to late to post the pics of the ties and the cable, anything is worth a try. 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:05:17 PM by capeheart »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
It is just so amazing that this lady was not identified. She surely may have been from another country, maybe Europe or the US. Maybe the person who committed this crime was actually married to this woman and moved from another country or something. It sure is a mystery as to why she was never identified. Somebody has to be wondering what happened to their sister, mother, daughter. ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
One can't help but wonder what was going on at that particular time, and if these ties were specific to some celebration or convention.
It also merits the theory that "the canadian tie" has some particular significance like "he hated the tie and the girl" or....
"had it laying around in his vehicle because he had received it as a gift, but knew he'd never use it." or....
he found it in a hotel or motel or other place he was staying at the time. :-\ :-\
maybe the guy was an overzellous one night stand (maybe someone important at a political convention) and had reason to believe this girl would get him in trouble if he left her alive....as if he raped her etc.  .......I think back then, the most you would see of those old tv wires, for picking up the signal, was in older homes, old motels, cabins etc.  Most of the public probably had cable of some sort then..... :-\ didn't they?

george_p

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
George, I am reposting the OPP link since their site has changed from when this thread started.

This is what throws me off, the specificity of the description using "cable television."  Of course, if it was antenna wire, yes, it would have been prevalent everywhere in those days.  However my presumption is based on the description which leans towards the coaxial cable type as opposed to the twin-lead type wire.  Now coax cable could have had more uses than just early cable TV including the use in government communications installations.

+
[/quot I, ll try find were I read about the wire type, it might have been on some of the post on the Doe network

george_p

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »

I found it on the doe network 
Flat black plastic-covered wire: This was the typical wire used in cable television hook-ups. The plastic wire had a slight splattering of gray paint. Subsequent investigation revealed that the cable was manufactured in Renfrew, Ontario and distributed in the Ottawa, Hull, Montreal and Brockville areas.

george_p

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
 on the tie..............
The only real clue was a vague report from a store clerk in Marmora who remembered selling a provincial necktie to a man and woman couple. The woman matched the victim's description, but the store clerk could not remember a date for the sale.

On the wire.................
Flat black plastic-covered wire: This was the typical wire used in cable television hook-ups. The plastic wire had a slight splattering of gray paint. Subsequent investigation revealed that the cable was manufactured in Renfrew, Ontario and distributed in the Ottawa, Hull, Montreal and Brockville areas.

BCID

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »
For the cable wire, the manufacturer's location and the distribution info was added later on the original source.

The question is, which direction doesthe river flow, how long exactly was she in the water and where along the river in 1974-75 could a body be dumped without prying eyes?

Didn't someone say in December they planned to view Ontario newspaper archives for old cases. Maybe they can add this one in hopesthe original articles said something we don't know.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
That is surely unusual then that he bought the tie on the day the lady was with him. Now he must have had plans on tying her up and there she was out shopping with him, probably thinking she was with a perfect gentleman. It sure sounds like this person could have been possibly on a convention or something, you might be right on there, Lost. The fact that she was tied up certainly sounds like he was into some kind of kinky ideas in the bedroom. There may have been other women who encountered an individual who wanted to tie them up, maybe they were the lucky ones, but this one got out of hand and he killed her. This man could have been in the habit of doing this type of thing. Without an ID on this lady, there is not much chance of finding her killer. Know who she is and I'll bet the killer will be behind bars before too long. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ??? ??? ??? ???

george_p

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
The nation flows north east towards casselman and emptys into the ottawa river near plantagenet On
she was dumped off the 417 bridge acording to the report
Blood evidence found on the bridge suggested that the victim had been killed 1 to 4 weeks prior to discovery( from doe network)
there is a photo of the tie also posted

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
Des...help!

Ont. police put out sketch in hopes of solving curious cold case murder

Let's help LE identify this woman and return closure to a family. Farmer found body in Nation River, just north of Highway 417, 40 minutes east of Ottawa on May 3, 1975. However, LE believe she was in water for up to 6 months prior. Police released sketch of woman (see cite below):

Woman, 25-50,
160 centrimetres (5'3") tall,
45 kilo (100lb)
Dark brown hair, dyed Reddish blond, shoulder length
Red manicured nails
Extensive high-quality dental work, including partial dentures and 10 fillings
Wearing only long sleeve dark blue top
Appendix was removed
No children born to her
There is no record of the woman's fingerprints anywhere in the world.

By releasing details of her death, LE may have clues that may bring about leads, these include:

Larynx fractured. Strangled with 61 centrimetre TV coaxial manufactured by Renfrew, ON, for a short period during early 1970s and only shipped to certain cabletelevision firms in Ottawa, Hull, Que., Montreal and Brockville, ON. (Suggests she was attacked in Ottawa-Brockville-Montreal triangle).

Head was hooded with an array of cloth (2 pieces bloodied disposable hand towel, and distinctive Irish linen tea towel. The tea towel was imported from Ireland by a Toronto company sold only until 1972.

Hands bound in front with navy blue necktie with three small Canadian emblems. Ankles bound with two more ties. The neck ties were made in Montreal and sold throughout Ontario and Quebec.

Perhaps also telling is the following about her dentures (this could lead to a dentist that could help identify, you would think):
Denturists and dental laboratories from Toronto to Halifax couldn't identify the woman's elaborate dentures, leading to speculation she might have been a foreigner. But checks outside the country also turned up nothing.

Manor of death may also provide a clue. She had eaten a nice meal hour prior. She took good care of her appearance. LE believe she could have been attacked by a man inside a room where the neck ties and clothes were at hand. They discovered a curtain rod wheel in her armpit suggesting that not only could a piece of cable been missing from the location, but in the struggle a curtain rod likely was displaced as a piece was found with her body. (A room where cable and curtain rods needed to be replaced, but where find Irish linen tea towel, disposable hand towel and ties were easily obtained).

Because of decomposition, they can not tell if sexually assaulted.

LE sketch and story can be found at:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/COLD+MURDER+CASE/2995113/story.html