Author Topic: Arcelie Laoagan, 40 | Unsolved Murder | Jan 2007  (Read 16309 times)

Carol-Lynn

Arcelie Laoagan, 40 | Unsolved Murder | Jan 2007
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »

January 20, 2008

Body found behind church

By TARINA WHITE AND NADIA MOHARIB, SUN MEDIA

CALGARY -- Friends of a missing Filipina woman working two jobs in Calgary to support her family in her homeland suspect she's the victim found dead behind a southeast Calgary church.

Arcelie Laoagan, 40, was reported missing by her roommate when she didn't return home after leaving work at West Canadian at 10 p.m. Thursday.

The blood-soaked body of a woman matching Laoagan's description was found at 6 a.m. Friday behind the Grace Baptist Church.

A Filipina woman who attends the same Bible study group as Laoagan said friends are assuming the worst.

IT COULD BE HER

"Putting two and two together, we have to believe it could be her. The (police) description really fits well," said the woman, who did not want to be identified. "I am so disturbed by the news. She's here to make a better life for her and her family."

Calgary Full Gospel Church Pastor Denzel Fenn said Laoagan joined the congregation about two years ago, after moving to Canada to earn money to support her five children and husband in the Philippines.

He's filled with dread that the woman found dead on Friday is indeed Laoagan.

"It's a terrible thing for a young lady that comes to this country ... for a land of promise and ends up that way," said Fenn.

TINY WOMAN, BIG HEART

He described her as a tiny woman with a big heart who often welcomed new Filipino immigrants to the church.

"You just don't meet people any nicer - she's a beautiful person, just kind and gentle, a little tiny girl," said Fenn.

Prayers will be held during today's church service for Laoagan, he added.

West Canadian CEO George Brookman said Laoagan began working as a scanning operator for the digital printing company about five weeks ago.

Brookman, who received a call at 2 a.m. Friday that Laoagan went missing after finishing her shift, is working under the assumption she was the woman found dead.

"We haven't actually had the official confirmation although we assume it's her. It's just so awful. I'm so upset about it," said Brookman.

Brookman has set up a trust fund for Laoagan's family in the Philippines and the company has kicked in $10,000.

Laoagan's two sisters and brother flew to Calgary from Toronto last night after hearing about her disappearance, said Philippine Consulate-General Felix Guerrero.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2008/01/20/pf-4783339.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:14:37 AM by Chris »

kindheart

Re: Arcelie Laoagan, 40
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
Friends worry over fate of missing woman

By SUN MEDIA
Friends and co-workers of Arcelie Laoagan are fearing the worst after a woman's dead body was found hours after she went missing.
Homicide cops returned to scour for clues in the 2800 block of Memorial Dr. S.E. today, where the slain woman was discovered by a passerby at 6 a.m. yesterday morning.Sources said the woman placed a panicked phone call to a friend sometime Thursday night or early yesterday morning, saying she was being assaulted before the line went dead. Meanwhile, friends of Laoagan are waiting on edge pending the medical examiner's identification of the dead woman. Laoagan, a native of the Philippines, has not been since she left work at about 10 p.m. Thursday night. People wishing to submit photos or tributes to Arcelie Laoagan can do so by emailing:  calnews@calgarysu

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/01/19/4782603.html

kindheart

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
Homicide investigators probe for clues in woman'sdeath

Paula Beauchamp, Calgary Herald
Published: Saturday, January 19, 2008

If friends or family would like to submit a tribute to Arcelie Laoagan please send an email  to submit@theherald.canwest.com

As snow fell steadily early Saturday, Calgary Search and Rescue officers scoured the parking lot near Franklin C-Train station, searching for evidence that may help identify Arcelie Laoagan's killer.The Calgary woman's lifeless body was found Thursday on a path that runs between Grace Baptist Church and the 2800 block of Memorial Drive S.E.Homicide investigators have ruled the death suspicious and will perform an autopsy early next week.Police today  are searching for all evidence related to Laoagan's death, but admit the recent snowfall is making the search more difficult."Cooperation from the public is critical in moving this investigation forward," Staff Sgt. Kevin Forsen said.Friends say Laoagan, who once worked as a nanny, lived a selfless life, committed to improving her family's future.

pbeauchamp@theherald.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=f70329f9-fedd-452b-8a10-22d1bb807baa&k=44059

kindheart

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »
Victim lived life of sacrifice

Paula Beauchamp, Calgary Herald; With files from Jamie Komarnicki
Published: Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mother of five Arcelie Laoagan led a life of sacrifice -- working two jobs to pay for her Filipino children to come to Canada, say friends.
She was returning from one of her jobs Thursday when she died under suspicious circumstances near the Franklin C-Train station.
Len Zoeteman, church leader at Calgary Full Gospel Church, where Laoagan was a member, said she regularly worked two jobs and had been out late working the night she died.

Search and rescue team members do a grid search Saturday where a Calgary woman was found dead.
Leah Hennel, Calgary Herald "She sacrificially lived for her family, to make a way for them to have a better life in Canada," Zoeteman said on Saturday of the woman with the magnetic personality. "Her nature was always to have two jobs. It was her intent to pay the way for her entire family to come here as well."Friends said Laoagan pined for her five sons and husband back in the Philippines during the almost four years she had worked in Canada.Filipino honorary consul general Felix Guerrero said three of Laoagan's grieving siblings -- two sisters and a brother -- flew into Calgary on Saturday, as Search and Rescue officers scoured for evidence through heavy snow at the parking lot near the train station on Saturday.Laoagan's siblings were expected to identify their sister's body last night.

The Calgary woman's lifeless body was found Friday on a path that runs between Grace Baptist Church and the 2800 block of Memorial Drive S.E.Homicide investigators have ruled the death suspicious and will perform an autopsy this week.On Saturday, police called for the public's help locating Laoagan's purse and one of her boots.Police believe Laoagan was carrying a purse before her death, but it has not yet been located."Co-operation from the public is critical in moving this investigation forward," Staff Sgt. Kevin Forsen said.
Guerrero said friends had confirmed Laoagan, 40, phoned them when she was being attacked.A friend who shared Laoagan's last meal, at about 5:30 p.m. Thursday night, said her co-worker was "happy and beautiful that night."Five Filipino women, all co-workers at the printing company where Laoagan worked as a scanner operator, shared a meal of rice, rice cake and other goodies a friend had recently brought back from the Philippines.

"She was such a nice lady," said the woman, who asked that her name not be used, for fear she too could be attacked leaving work late one night."We were all crying (Friday) when we found out. We couldn't work."Wally Cousart, a friend who met Laoagan through their church, described her as a shy woman who was committed to God."We feel like we lost a sister," said Cousart, who heads the Filipino bible study group at the church."I feel like I lost a daughter already." Friends said Laoagan worked as a nanny in Hong Kong, before moving to Calgary to work as a nanny for at least two years. She obtained permanent residence and was sponsoring her five sons, aged eight to 20, and her husband to come to Canada.She had already helped a sister come to Canada, friends said.

Laoagan had lived in Calgary for almost four years and spoke of how hard it was to be away from her family for so long, Cousart said.
"She said . . . you always are thinking about them." Fighting back tears, Cousart described Laoagan's death as "a really big loss for us."
"I am just so sad about the environment we have now in Calgary."Zoeteman said the tragedy of Laoagan's death was amplified by the selfless effort she was making to bring her family to Canada and the effect her death may now have on that outcome she had worked so hard for.Doug King, chairman of justice studies at Mount Royal College, said the possibility of stranger-motivated violence, as suggested by the apparent attack on Laoagan, would make women feel more uneasy "Those are the types of offences that ratchet up the fear of crime in any community. It just makes people a little more agitated, aware of the risks they're engaged in."The purse police are seeking is a brown ladies' purse, about 30 centimetres long and 30 centimetres deep, with a shoulder strap. It has a half-moon shape and several shiny dots or decorative sequins attached. It could contain identification and a phone. The boot police are seeking is described as a brown ladies' ankle boot with a side zipper.

pbeauchamp@theherald.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=c9d1b63e-e9f8-44e7-b1b5-dc4c725de7f8&k=10777

kindheart

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »
Body found behind church

Body matches missing woman's description
By TARINA WHITE AND NADIA MOHARIB, SUN MEDIA
The Calgary Sun   

Friends of a missing Filipino woman working two jobs in Calgary to support her family in her homeland suspect she's the victim found dead behind a southeast Calgary church. Arcelie Laoagan, 40, was reported missing by her roommate when she didn't return home after leaving work at West Canadian, 901 10 Ave. S.W., at 10 p.m. on Thursday. The blood-soaked body of a woman matching Laoagan's description was found at 6 a.m. Friday behind the Grace Baptist Church in the 2000 block of Radcliffe Dr. S.E.

Grace baptist church;
http://www.gbccalgary.com/index.php

A woman who attends the same Bible study group as Laoagan said friends are assuming the worst. "Putting two and two together, we have to believe it could be her -- the (police) description really fits well," said the woman, who did not want to be identified. "I am so disturbed by the news.

Arcelie's pastor;

Arcelie's church;
http://www.calgaryfullgospel.com/ 

She's here to make a better life for her and her family."Calgary Full Gospel Church Pastor Denzel Fenn said Laoagan joined the congregation about two years ago, after moving to Canada to earn money to support her five children and husband in the Philippines.
He's filled with dread that it appears the woman found dead on Friday is indeed Laoagan. "It's a terrible thing for a young lady that comes to this country ... for a land of promise and ends up that way," said Fenn. He described her as a tiny woman with a big heart who often welcomed new Filipino immigrants to the church.
"You just don't meet people any nicer -- she's a beautiful person, just kind and gentle, a little tiny girl," said Fenn.
Prayers will be held during today's church service for Laoagan, he added.

West Canadian CEO George Brookman said Laoagan began working as a scanning operator for the digital printing company about five weeks ago.Brookman, who received a call at 2 a.m. Friday that Laoagan went missing after finishing her shift, is working under the assumption she was the woman found dead. "We haven't actually had the official confirmation, although we assume it's her. It's just so awful, I'm so upset about it," said Brookman. Brookman has set up a trust fund for Laoagan's family in the Philippines and the company has kicked in $10,000.

More on where Arcelie worked;
http://www.westcanadian.com/

Her boss;
http://www.westcanadian.com/about_us/news.html  Utube on West Canadian

Laoagan's two sisters and brother flew to Calgary from Toronto last night after hearing about her disappearance, said Philippine Consulate-General Felix Guerrero. Cops returned to the scene under heavy snowfall yesterday with dozens of Search and Rescue volunteers, looking for evidence where the lifeless body of the woman, said to be Asian and in her 30s or 40s, was found in a secluded area behind the Grace Baptist Church.

Sources said the victim may have made a panicked phone call to a friend, saying she was being attacked, before the line went dead.
Cops have not yet confirmed the identity of the dead woman pending an autopsy.
Homicide Staff Sgt. Kevin Forsen said last night next of kin had not yet been notified.
"We hope to be able to positively identify the victim and give out information which will spur the public to come forward," he said.
If cops officially declare the killing a homicide, it would be Calgary's fourth murder of 2008.
Cops said they hope the public can help them find a medium-brown purse with a shoulder strap the woman was thought to have which was not found at the crime scene.

Looking for;
It is a half-moon shape decorated with several shiny dots or sequins and may have identification, a cellphone and other personal items. Investigators also need help finding one of the victim's boots, a brown ladies ankle boot with a zipper up the side.

Anyone with information is asked to call 206-8877 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-262-8477.

kindheart

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
Other notes of potential interest? ??? ???

Arson and sexual/racist grafitti attack at this church in Calgary on October 28-29, 2007 ;

http://start.shaw.ca/Start/enCA/Local+Content/Alberta/CGY/CrimeStoppers.htm

Also from October 2007 in Calgary;

White supremacists, anti-racism protesters clash in Calgary over veiled voting

Last Updated: Monday, October 15, 2007 | 10:22 AM MT
CBC News

Two people face assault charges after members of a white supremacist group protesting a decision to allow veiled voting faced off against anti-racism demonstrators outside Calgary City Hall on Sunday.About a dozen members of the white supremacist group Aryan Guard were demonstrating against a decision that lets Muslim women wear niqabs or burkas while voting in Monday's municipal elections in Calgary, Edmonton and other Alberta communities.It's the first time that veiled voting has been permitted in the province's municipal elections. Elections Canada also recently decided to allow veiled voting if Muslim women prefer to keep their faces covered for religious reasons. They are to prove their identification in other ways.
The Aryan Guard group covered their faces with ski masks and waved flags and banners.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/10/15/cal-protest.html

kindheart

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »
From a Calgary blogger, that had me thinking about the church attack in October 2007-is it significant that the church being attacked is pro homosexuality??
~kindheart

But yesterday as a friend and were driving down 10th street (en route to Expo Latino) we saw about two dozen people on the corner of Kensington, yelling and shouting something. Most of them were wearing black, and a some were waving black flags featuring the stormfront symbol, if I remember correctly (I only got a glimpse, as we were driving by). Several were also holding signs saying "White Power."

We all just stared out the windows in shock, trying to take it in. My reaction was disbelief - can this be real?

Now, I'm not implying that Calgary, or even My Street, never has problems with racism. Quite the contrary. I am lucky in that I do not run into many racist people. Still, I have met my share of cranks and hateful people. There are the usual race-related big city problems. Nazi symbols occasionally show up as graffitti. However, roving gangs of white supremacists are not a common occurance (unless I've been missing something). Generally speaking, Calgarians believe in tolerance and consider themselves to have a responsibility to reach out to people of different cultures. It doesn't always happen in reality, but in principle that is what we believe. Even if people have racist thoughts, they consider it bad manners to voice them publicly.

I'm pretty sure that of those options, the first one would be a mistake. Even though I have a hunch that most of the people who saw that "demonstration" (I hesitate to dignify it with that term) will do exactly that. They'll think "oh, a bunch of freaks....whatever" and go about their daily lives. I think that is a mistake. Those people may well be a bunch of freaks. But if you see somehing often enough, no matter how repulsive it is the first time, the truth is, you'll get used to it. I know if I see white power displays all the time for a few months, I'll shift my thinking so that I believe white power displays in Calgary are "normal." Disgusting, perhaps, but normal. And then it will take something worse to make me wonder about why these things are here in the first place - some violence perhaps, or an article in our community newsletter about how white people should rule the world.

http://trionatrog.blogspot.com/2007/08/white-supremacists-on-my-street.html

kindheart

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »
Mon, August 21, 2006
Neighbourhood hit with racist graffiti
UPDATED: 2006-08-21 19:40:50 MST

Police search for suspects

At least four people spray-painted racist graffiti on everything from fences to garages, cars and the streets in the West Hillhurst area under the cover of darkness on the weekend, city cops said.And now police are trying to clean up in their search for suspects.
Acting Staff Sgt. Rick Halford said cops are investigating about 50 separate incidents which include racial slurs thought to have been painted between midnight Friday and 2 a.m. Saturday. Witnesses said the offenders are in their early 20s, one woman and three men, Halford said.

At this point the graffiti, along a stretch of the Westmount Rd. N.W. is being looked at in the realm of property damage rather than as a hate crime, said Halford. ?It certainly appears hateful but we are looking at it more as property-damage related than a hate crime,? he said. ?We have to look at the intent and at this point it does not indicate it?s a hate crime.?
The cost of clean-up on private property is borne by homeowners but the city offers funding to assist.
The offenders will likely face public mischief charges.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/08/21/1768689.html

kindheart

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »
I have a lot more but i will just leave it at that. I am not saying that organized racists groups are behind this womans murder, i just noted some events and thought to share them with you here. I will leave the "theorizing" to the board.
~kindheart

Racists interrupt rallies
UPDATED: 2007-08-26 01:43:21 MST

Activists denounce supremacists' message
By KATIE SCHNEIDER, SUN MEDIA

Anti-racism rallies trying to spread a message of unity were interrupted yesterday by a white supremacist group believed responsible for a spate of posters spreading a message of hate.Community activists lined the streets of Kensington and the Marlborough LRT station platform distributing leaflets and spreading a message that racism is not welcome in the city, despite appearances by a white supremacist group, including members of the Calgary Aryan Guard, blamed for recently plastering the city with hateful neo-Nazi posters.

Full story:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/08/26/4447292-sun.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:03:52 PM by kindheart »

kindheart

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
This last post of a utube really pissed me off-i have zero tolerance for racists! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

UNDERCOVER RACISM IN CALGARY;
http://HTTP://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=PLQPLPY1EAO

kindheart

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
Ooops, forgot this last one. You are right Des, maybe churches would benefit from cameras?
~kindheart

Vandalism at Calgary Church Not Deemed a Hate Crime

When their church was destroyed by vandals, church members joined together to choose their response carefully.
by John Syratt In the early morning hours of October 13, 2007, Covenant Christian Reformed Church in the SW Calgary community of Millrise, Alberta, was vandalized.The police do not think this was a hate crime. There were no messages left behind.

Two or more persons broke in through a basement window and worked through the building emptying fire extinguishers and wrecking a number of VCRs, DVD players and TVs.The vandals opened cans of paint and threw them into a hallway, tore apart a drum kit, pulpit and other decorations that were on the stage. They toppled a cross, overturned a communion table, ransacked the church?s library and smashed a pane of glass on a cabinet, overturned furniture, destroyed office equipment and attacked the audio-visual booth flinging equipment over a pony wall.

The police do not think this was a hate crime. There were no messages left behind. Presently no one has been arrested.
After an abbreviated Sunday morning service amidst the mess, the church formed work parties to clean up the destruction.
Covenant Christian Reformed Church seeks restorative justice. In a statement released to City Light News the church offered, ?Should the offenders be caught and confess, we will seek the following: they will be invited to our church to see how we brought it all back together; they will be asked to participate in a circle of healing whereby they tell us why they did it; they will hear what effect it had on us; we will then forgive them. They will then be offered two options: they can then work for us to a limit of so many hours of community service or they can be delivered into the hands of the police and courts to mete out their punishment.?

http://www.christianity.ca/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=5224&srcid=1520

Photos of the vandalism here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justaprairieboy/sets/72157602423772712/

kindheart

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »
Geographic points of interest for our reference ;

Where she worked;
51? 2'37.79"N   114? 4'53.09"W

Approx location of Church where she was found;
A51? 2'44.24"N   113?59'35.06"W

Church she regularly attended;
51? 2'23.90"N   114? 4'58.23"W

Church where racialized and sexualized vandalism and attempted arson occurred btwn  28th and 29th of October, 2007;
51? 0'15.00"N  114? 4'47.14"W

Approximate location of two arson?s on August 20th and 27th, 2007.
51? 2'14.94"N  113?58'17.45"W

Unsolved in this general area;

This is the approx location of the unsolved homicide of Wendy Hewko;
51? 2'14.76"N   114? 0'40.57"W

This is the approx location of the unsolved homicide of Tara Landgraf
51? 2'6.44"N  114? 2'38.73"W

Last known approximate location of Helena Mihaljevic, stampede grounds (2006);
51? 2'2.12"N  114? 3'12.93"W

This is the approx location of the unsolved homicide of Anita Gilavesh
51? 1'43.09"N  114? 0'15.08"W

kindheart

Re: Arcelie Laoagan, 40 | Unsolved Murder | Jan 2007
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
Sure, i will go and find it for you. I mapped this a long while back. My memory is she was found in the beaver pond in the Inglewood bird sanctuary-which is right in that area.She was working in the sex trade at the time.

kindheart

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Sister's killing called 'shocking, horrible' act

Immigration of husband, children now uncertain
Gwendolyn Richards, Calgary Herald
Published: Monday, January 21, 2008

The family of a woman found dead near a C-Train station are calling the person who killed their sister "evil," and the pastor at her church says the tragedy shows the city is changing.At a downtown restaurant, the shock of the news of her death was marked on the faces of Arcelie Laoagan's brother, Oswald Sombrito, and sisters Marlyn Hori and Caroline Maximo.What happened to Laoagan was "shocking and horrible," they told the Herald."It's unhuman," Sombrito said.

The trio travelled from Toronto on Saturday to deal with the aftermath of their sister's death. Her lifeless body was found early Friday morning on a path that runs between Grace Baptist Church and the 2800 block of Memorial Drive S.E. near the Franklin LRT station.
Friends have reported Laoagan, 40, phoned them as she was being attacked.Laoagan, the second eldest of seven, was a helpful, honest woman who had a degree in accounting and was working to have it upgraded.She did tax preparation for her friends and was admired for her smarts, her siblings said, as they wiped away tears.

Laoagan dedicated her life to providing for her five children -- aged seven to 19 -- even if that took her away from them, her siblings said.She and her husband met and fell in love at college, then married about 20 years ago. Her husband and five sons are living with his parents in the town of Santa Cruz, in the northern Philippines.Her death has raised questions for the family members, who are now unsure what will happen with the immigration process for Laoagan's husband and children, which was almost complete.
Sombrito said they hope the Canadian government will move ahead with the application and let his sister's family come here -- something Laoagan had worked hard for."She had to sacrifice for her kids," Hori said.Her youngest son was not even a year old when Laoagan left the Philippines for Hong Kong and then Canada.

Sombrito and Maximo had already moved to Canada, settling in Toronto.Before deciding to come to Canada, Laoagan was willing to go home and stay with her children, but her siblings spent a year telling her to come to Canada -- where it was safe and there would be many opportunities."We encouraged her to come," Sombrito said.An agency matched Laoagan with an employer in Calgary, and the 40-year-old loved the city. When she visited Toronto, she told her siblings they needed to make the move out west, where there are plenty of jobs and it would be easier for her loved ones to establish themselves.Hori had already planned to move to Calgary this summer, she told the Herald.

Hori called her brother-in-law and nephews when she got the news of her sister's death."The husband was crying over the phone, asking about the kids," she said.Sunday morning, at the church Laoagan has attended for the past four years, Pastor Len Zoeteman told congregants a "tragic thing" had taken place in Calgary."Not only as a church we grieve, but as a city we grieve," he told those gathered for the 11 a.m. service.As news sunk in, a hushed response rippled through the room. "It was her," one congregant said aloud, reacting to the announcement.

"We're sad as a city. As Calgary has grown, the spirit of the city has changed," he added.Zoeteman said this is a time for shock and sorrow, for the church and the community."As members of our whole city, we all feel that tragedy has taken place when you have a crime such as this that has happened to a very good person," he said just prior to the service."Some of these crimes can never be averted, even through the outstanding police force we have."

Investigators have finished examining the scene around where the woman's body was found.Officer are going through surveillance video taken from cameras at a number of downtown businesses, Radisson Heights, as well as the Franklin C-Train station, homicide unit Staff Sgt. Kevin Forsen said.Police are working with the medical examiner's office to confirm as quickly as possible the woman's identity.
Forsen said investigators want to release a photo to the public in the hope of generating tips."We're still working to determine how she ended up in that location," he said.

Police are also still looking for Laoagan's purse and one of her boots, which have not been found despite searching the area.
The purse police are seeking is a brown ladies' purse, about 30 centimetres long and 30 centimetres deep, with a shoulder strap.
It has a half-moon shape and several shiny dots or decorative sequins attached. It could contain identification and a phone.
The boot police are seeking is described as a brown ladies' ankle boot with a side zipper.An account is being set up to help offset the costs of funeral arrangements.It's expected that the service will take place in the Philippines.

grichards@theherald.canwest.com

? The Calgary Herald 2008
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=cda21e26-c5ab-4193-8095-f1b12bf622f7&k=7571&p=1

kindheart

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
This is from a repost on google groups. Anita's information is at the very bottom Desespere.
~kindheart

May 23, 1999 From Calgary sun;

Who murdered these women?
In the '90s, five women, four of them hookers, went missing

By PETER SMITH -- Calgary Sun

In a prison cell today sits a killer police believe may hold the secret to a string of five unsolved murders of Calgary street women.
 In a 19-month period in the early 1990s, all five women, including four prostitutes, disappeared and their bodies were later found dumped around the city outskirts. Then suddenly the killings stopped -- and there have been no more prostitute murders in Calgary for the last six years.

Police believe it's possible one of the potential suspects for the killings was jailed for another murder -- but he's not confessing to any more.The five unsolved murders are of Jennifer Janz, who disappeared in July 1991; Jennifer Joyes, who disappeared a month later; Keely Pincott, who disappeared three months later; Tracey Maunder, who went missing in October 1992; and Rebecca Boutelier, who disappeared in February 1993.

The bodies of Janz, Joyes and Pincott were discovered in separate shallow graves west of the city, while the bodies of Maunder and Boutelier were found in fields east of the city. City homicide detectives and RCMP major crime investigators have been working
jointly on the murders. Calgary RCMP Sgt. Perry Kuzma, of the major crimes unit, said the murders may have suddenly stopped because a suspect may have been jailed for murder. "A number of suspect names surfaced in a variety of these investigations," he said.
 "It's possible the person responsible is currently incarcerated for other crimes, specifically murder, and is serving a 20- to 25-year jail term,"Kuzma said. "That's very possible with some of the people who quickly come to mind who are of interest to us.  "There are two, or possibly three people who come to my mind who,around that time period, the early-'90s, ended up getting charged and serving time,"he said.

Over the years, investigators have interviewed these potential suspects in jail about the unsolved homicides. "There is that possibility they might have gone down for one and we were trying to piece together if there could have been a second or third connection
here," said Kuzma. He said in their interviews, investigators hoped prison programs undertaken by inmates might change their attitudes -- and make them tell what they know.  "A lot of the time we are banking on the conscience of that suspect," he said. "We have interviewed these potential suspects who were jailed for other crimes. "We have gone back a number of times, using different investigators, to see if we can reconnect with these suspects. "Sometimes they may have gone through an adjustment program in prison where they feel if they were involved they would tell us about it. "We go in there sometimes with our fingers crossed."

Three of the murdered women were dumped outside city limits in RCMP territory and two were dumped inside the city, so RCMP and city cops have worked as a joint task force on the investigations. Staff Sgt. George Rocks, of the city homicide unit, said the prison
interviews were part of the joint-force investigation. He added there were other explanations why the murders suddenly
stopped. "If one person was responsible for all the murders -- and that has never been definitely established -- that person may have died, or moved on elsewhere, or found something else as a substitute for killing women," he said.

Police have never revealed how all the victims were murdered, nor whether they were sexually assaulted. But Rocks said some of their causes of death differed. "This could still have been one person changing the way he was operating to throw the police off the scent, but that possibility is remote," he said. Police have never ruled out the possibility of a serial killer, though they've never had evidence to confirm the murders were the work of one man. But if the five murders were done by five different men, and then suddenly stopped,that would require the coincidence of five men all separately being jailed at once, or all separately dying at once or all suddenly moving on at once. "I don't believe in coincidences," said Rocks.

Late in 1993, three of these murders -- Janz, Joyes and Pincott -- were the subject of a massive "serial killer" psychological profiling
brain-storming session in Edmonton. (Note; Project Eclipse). Top FBI psychological profilers -- experts who'd interviewed the worst
serial killers in North America -- met with the Calgary task force officers and Canada's top criminal profilers to study these murders.
They looked at the murders of 15 women in Alberta, and their conclusions as to whether the Calgary murders were the work of a serial killer have always remained secret.

Kuzma puts the ongoing investigations into perspective for the future. "We must keep an open mind on whether this involved a serial killer,"he said. "In these unsolved cases, I'm of the mindset we had better take care in securing forensic evidence we have at each scene. "It might not take us anywhere now, but with the advances in technology,something may come up so that in future, the case may hinge on it."

JENNIFER JANZ

Jennifer Janz's family were very hopeful in the spring of 1991 that Jennifer would win her battle to get away from her street life in Calgary. Not long before, she had gone to a bible school in Texas as her resolve to get away from a life of prostitution strengthened.
So it was all the more devastating for her family -- after she disappeared July 12, 1991 -- when detectives called to say her body had been found in a shallow grave near Valley Ridge Rd. off Hwy. 1 on Aug. 13. Police established Jennifer, 16, had been killed by a heavy blow to the chest, and was buried in a shallow grave. Investigators have never revealed whether she was sexually assaulted.

JENNIFER JOYES

Jennifer Joyes impressed staff at her Calgary high school as a super girl with tremendous potential. But sadly, Jennifer, 17, became enthralled by the lure of life downtown and living on the streets. It led her into prostitution, but she was on the verge of getting away
from the life by the early 1990s, said her dad, Rick Joyes. But before she could escape, on Aug. 30, 1991 she was reported missing
and on Oct. 6, 1991, her body was discovered murdered and buried in a shallow grave near 77 St. and 13 Ave. S.W. -- just 2 km south of the shallow grave holding Jennifer Janz's body. RCMP investigators have never revealed how Joyes was murdered, nor whether she
was sexually assaulted.

KEELY PINCOTT

Keely Pincott's friends knew she was excited about possibly getting into makeup work and modelling early in 1991. Pincott, 29, once a Calgary cocktail waitress, and a mom who adored her two children, never had a chance to pursue her new career. After her mom had last contacted her in May 1991, she later reported her missing on Nov. 7, 1991. And on March 11, 1992, her skeletal remains were
located in a wooded area 2 km northeast of Cochrane off Hwy. 1A.  Like Janz and Joyes, Pincott had been buried in a shallow grave west of the city. RCMP investigators have never revealed how she died, or whether she was sexually assaulted.

TRACEY MAUNDER

Friends and family of Tracey Maunder, a mother of two boys, said she didn't like the life of a prostitute, and was trying to get out in early 1992. Friends said Tracey, 26, was hoping to get into the escort business,away from the dangers on the street. She had been working the streets trying to raise enough money to send her oldest son away to his grandmother while she had to go into hospital.
But on Oct. 28, 1992, Tracey disappeared and, three days later, her body was discovered in a field off Garden Rd. S.E. Investigators said she had been stabbed to death, but didn't reveal whether she'd been sexually assaulted.

REBECCA BOUTELIER

Her mom, Sandy, prefers to remember Rebecca as a happy-go-lucky tomboy when she was growing up in Sydney, N.S. But sadly, she can't discount Rebecca's teenaged years when she slipped into a self-destructive spiral of drugs and prostitution. The nightmare worsened in February 1993, when Rebecca, 20 -- by then a mother of an infant son -- disappeared. And despite Sandy's fervent hopes, her worst fears were realized on March 11,1993, when Rebecca's body was discovered in a field near McKnight Blvd.
and 68 St. N.E. City police have never revealed how Rebecca was murdered nor whether she was sexually assaulted.

Are these related?

From the same time period when these five women were murdered, city
cops and the RCMP also have unsolved murder files on six other women.

They are:

Annette Leger, 21, a Calgary prostitute, found murdered and dumped
near Drumheller on June 4,1987.

Elaine Krauscher, 26, a Calgary prostitute, murdered and dumped west
of the city a month later.

Sheila Ritchie, 20, a street person, found shot dead and dumped in a
field southeast of Calgary May 17, 1988. A man was charged and found not
guilty of her murder

Joanne Shaver, 17, a Calgary prostitute, found murdered and dumped on
a southeast city street Jan. 10, 1990. A different man was charged with
murder and acquitted.

Shawna Vanderbasch, 20, an escort girl, found murdered and dumped
southwest of the city near Priddis. A third man was charged and found not guilty
of her murder.

Anita Gilavish, 38, a Calgary prostitute, found murdered in a beaver
pond at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. No one has ever been charged with her
murder.