Author Topic: Brenda Lee WOODWARD- June 28th, 2003 Kelowna BC  (Read 3517 times)


  • Guest
Brenda Lee WOODWARD- June 28th, 2003 Kelowna BC
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
Sep 11th, 2003 - 02:12:07 PM File #Cranbrook 2003-1538

Found Skeletal Remains - St. Mary's Lake area

Kimberley RCMP and the Kelowna Major Crime Section have now received results from the Forensic Crime Laboratory in relation to the skeletal remains that were discovered in a fire pit in the St. Mary's Lake area on June 28th, 2003. The results confirm that the remains are those of 34 year old Brenda Lee WOODWARD who was reported as a missing person on June 28th.

Police will also confirm that they suspected from the outset that the remains could be those of WOODWARD, but had to await confirmation through DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) analysis, and focused both of their investigations as being a homicide. Ironically, both of the calls were received by police within 1/2 hour of each other. At the present time, police will not speculate on a motive for this homicide, but they are actively continuing their investigation. Numerous people have been interviewed in an attempt to track WOODWARD's last movements, sometime between June 24th and June 28th.

The RCMP extend their deepest sympathies to the WOODWARD family.

Released by:

East Kootenay (Cranbrook)
Media Relations Officer
(250) 489-3471

Update on this pyro killer-
Arrest made in woman's 2003 murder
Stuart Hunter, The Province
Published: Sunday, September 09, 2007
A Sheridan Lake man is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow to face second-degree murder charges in connection with a grisly four-year-old slaying.
The unidentifed 52-year-old is slated to appear in Kamloops Provincial Court in connectioon with the death of Brenda Lee Jean Woodward of Kimberley.
The body of the 34-year-old mother of two was found in a fire pit near St. Mary's Lake on June 28, 2003 -- the same day she was reported missing. She was last seen on June 24.
The suspect was arrested in Lone Butte on Friday without incident, said RCMP Const. Annie Linteau.
"It's been a long, extensive investigation that led to this arrest," said Linteau, who declined to give more details about the probe or arrest.
She said the suspect and victim were known to each other. "He was known to police," Linteau added.
Police are still looking for witnesses or informatioon about Woodward's killing.
"We hope this case gives hope to the rest of the people out there whose family members [have been victims of crime]," she said.


  • Member
  • Posts: 1217
    • View Profile
Re: Brenda Lee WOODWARD- June 28th, 2003 Kelowna BC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »

The case involving the murder of a woman who lived in the Elm Creek and Haywood area more than 10 years ago has finally been resolved.

The skeletal remains of Brenda Lee Woodward, 34, were located in a fire pit at a camp site near St. Mary's Lake, B.C., just outside of Kimberley, on June 28, 2003, four days after she was reported missing.

At the time of the discovery, the pathologist in the case was unable to determine how the victim died as her body was so badly burned.

RCMP in Kimberley, B.C., and the Kelowna Major Crime Section were initially investigating the case.

Nathan Woodward, also known as Nathan Seaba, 54, was convicted of second degree murder on April 6, 2009, for the murder of Brenda Lee Woodward, following a two-week trial before a judge and jury.

Nathan received a sentence of life in prison and is not eligible for parole for 11 years.

Crown attorney Iain Currie said evidence in the case derived from telephone conversations the accused later had with his girlfriend. These helped police identify Nathan Woodward as the culprit.

Currie noted Nathan Woodward admitted during the trial he was responsible for Brenda Lee Woodward's death, but said it was an accident brought on by intoxication, and his anger when he believed she had stolen his wallet.

Evidence from the trial revealed at the time of the incident on June 24, 2003, both Nathan Woodward and Brenda Lee Woodward had been drinking at a campsite near St. Mary's Lake in B.C.

Nathan Woodward said he put a pillow on top of the head of Brenda Lee Woodward, his sister-in-law, and she stopped breathing. She died of suffocation as a result of the incident.

Currie explained the case took six years to wrap up as the police needed to gather further evidence.

"He (Nathan Woodward) was arrested right away, just days following, but was released because of a lack of evidence," said Currie on Aug. 11. "It was further investigation by the Unsolved Homicide Unit that eventually led to his arrest and the further evidence that was required to prove the charge against him."