Author Topic: Edmonton:: A Nightmare!!  (Read 2408 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Edmonton:: A Nightmare!!
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »

Says she awoke to find man at foot of bed
By TONY BLAIS, COURT BUREAU

Ryan James Huppie, 23, admits a brutal attack, but claims he's not criminally responsible due to mental illness.

Rape victim's chilling 911 call
The physically and emotionally scarred victim of a vicious rape and murder attempt bravely faced her attacker in court today while recounting her horrific ordeal.

The Edmonton school vice-principal, who cannot be identified under a court-ordered publication ban, spoke of being a strong woman with the ?world by the tail? before the Feb. 17, 2004, attack and how her life has changed.

?It?s amazing how weak you feel when somebody is trying to kill you,? she said, testifying at the Court of Queen?s Bench attempted murder trial of Ryan James Huppie, 23.

The woman, in her mid-30s, cried several times while testifying how her attacker raped and severely slashed her face and hands with a knife and a meat cleaver.

She said she woke up that morning to find a figure at the foot of her bed and later realized he had come into her suite after climbing over the balcony from next door.

After screaming and asking him what he wanted, she said he stated: ?I?m here to rape you and I?m here to kill you.?

She said the attacker also told her he was doing it on a ?$10,000 bet? and would be killed if he didn?t do it.

The woman testified about calling 911 and how the man got angry and slashed her neck and throat as well as nearly severing two of her fingers. She said she played dead and he left before she then tried to escape the suite.

However, once out in the hallway, she saw him coming at her again and felt like she was in a horror movie.

?I thought nobody was going to help me and I was going to die in the hallway,? she said, adding a neighbour eventually let her in before the police and paramedics arrived.

She testified she has had numerous surgeries to repair her damaged hands and face, and has also been in extensive therapy for acute post traumatic stress disorder.

?I felt like I was under attack 24 hours a day,? she said.

The woman is slated to be under cross examination by Huppie?s lawyer later this afternoon.

Meanwhile, Huppie?s mother also testified in the trial and had to leave briefly after looking at him and saying: ?I can?t believe you?re doing this to me son.?

Huppie is also charged with aggravated sexual assault, unlawful confinement, break and enter with intent to commit sexual assault, and sexual assault with a weapon.

Huppie admits he attacked his next-door neighbour, but is pleading not guilty because he is claiming he is not criminally responsible (NCR) due to a mental disorder.

In a police interview, Huppie said he knew he had done something because he was covered in blood, but claimed he had ?blacked out? and couldn?t remember anything.

However, hours before Huppie turned himself in to police, the blood-covered man told an acquaintance ?some crazy s..t happened? and he had ?slashed a bitch up.?

Court has also heard Huppie left a Valentine?s note in the victim?s suite on the day before the attack, saying his name was Damon and he was cute, loveable and good in bed and he thought she was hot.

Damon is a name witnesses say Huppie used as an alias while dealing drugs and is possibly one of his alter egos. In 2006, Huppie was sent for a psychiatric assessment after court heard he might have multiple personalities.

HaveThoughtsWillTravel

• It's a fine line between genius and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton:: A Nightmare!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
Edmonton man sentenced to life in prison
Updated: Fri Mar. 13 2009 17:59:12

ctvedmonton.ca

Ryan Huppie will spend the rest of his life behind bars after he was sentenced in court Friday afternoon.

25-year-old Huppie was convicted last summer of sexually assaulting and attempting to murder a city vice-principal.

In court, Huppie apologized and asked his victim for forgiveness.

Prosecutors have decided to drop the application to have Huppie labelled a dangerous offender.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090313/edm_huppie_090313/20090313

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonton:: A Nightmare!!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »
How can he spend the rest of his life in prison? THis is Canada.