Author Topic: Adam Cavanagh | Murder | Feb. 3, 2007  (Read 6977 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Adam Cavanagh | Murder | Feb. 3, 2007
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:12:17 AM »
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/01/06/4755200-sun.html

No one can predict how a game--on the ice or in real life -- will play out.

But Perry Cavanagh says the murder of his 18-year-old son has prompted him to try his hand at politics.

Almost a year ago, Adam was shot in the family home -- a murder still unsolved.

And as Cavanagh, his wife Cathy and their three sons pull out of the abyss, a chance arose to make a difference.

"Adam is the fire in my belly," 48-year-old Cavanagh said yesterday at the Don Hartman Sportplex, where he is the general manager.

"My wife and I felt at this point in our lives it was a tremendous opportunity not only to fulfil a life-long dream but to do it with the most sincere reasons and passion to initiate change."

Tomorrow, Cavanagh will file nomination papers as a Conservative candidate in Calgary Northeast, vacant since the resignation of tough-on-crime MP Art Hanger.

Cavanagh,the long-time Hockey Calgary president, who has worked behind-the-scenes for more than 12 years on political campaigns, says he has watched Calgary change from a safe city to one wracked by violence.

But it was the shooting of his son last Feb. 3, through a basement window of the family home, which galvanized him to try to prevent other families from going through such horror.

"It shatters the assumption you are safe in your own home," he said. "You go to bed at night thinking if our children are at home, they are not in harm's way."

It was about 2 a.m. and Cavanagh and his wife were in their kitchen -- while Adam and friends were downstairs -- when a gunshot changed their lives forever.

"That's when the chaos ensued," Cavanagh recalled. His two youngest sons insisted the family move back into the house where a gunman stole Adam's life.

"We had three other children and had to make sure they did not see their foundation crumbling," says Cavanagh, his voice cracking.

"Our 13 and 15-year-old said 'We're going home.' "

Politics became part of the game plan when Hanger stepped down last fall.

In July, Cavanagh walked away from a 30-year career in electrical engineering to pursue a more meaningful path.

"I'm not going down to Ottawa because I want to be Stephen Harper or a cabinet minister -- I'm the captain in that little tugboat," he said. "I can push, I can nudge and make things happen for us in Northeast Calgary."

"No question, as a result of Adam ... my resolve is steadfast, it's unwavering.

"This is not a personal agenda (but) an opportunity in the bigger picture for change in honour of Adam."

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Cavanagh | Murder | Feb. 3, 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:46 AM »
I hope his father gets elected. Calgary has changed so much and not for the better since the late 90's as far as crime goes.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
SOLVED!

http://www.am770chqr.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1243206
algary Police have made an arrest in a cold-case file that goes back three years. It was just after two in the morning on February 3rd 1970 when a shot was fired outside a Temple home. The bullet struck and killed 18-year old Adam Cavanaugh in the basement of the house on Templebee Crescent North East. Saturday, police arrested a 20-year old man as he stepped off a Greyhound bus from Vancouver and charged him with first degree murder. Because he was less than 18-years old at the time of the offence he cannot be named under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
Great job Calgary cold cases detectives!

Hope you get more time to work on some others now.