Author Topic: Sharon Drover - December 29, 1978 St John's NFLD  (Read 39263 times)

kindheart

Sharon Drover - December 29, 1978 St John's NFLD
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »

Seventeen year old Sharon Drover went missing late in December, 1978.  It was reported that Sharon left her boarding house to go to McDonalds on Kenmount Road to pick up her paycheck,  however, she never arrived there.  Later,  two brothers came forward and said that on December 29, 1978 they picked up a hitchhiker, whom they thought may have been Sharon,  on Kenmount Road and dropped her off on Long's Hill, adjacent to the boarding house. The girl stopped and talked with a man and then ran down Long's Hill. Police have been unable to find out who she had been talking to.  Thet suspect she was murdered,  however, no body was ever found.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:15:09 PM by kindheart »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Sharon Drover - December 29, 1978 St John's NFLD
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »
Rice; I applaud you for taking this interest in your aunt ... too many people, often family as well ... choose to forget about things like this because they figure there's nothing they can do now....they don't know enough.... they're too busy trying to work and exist etc. etc.  I think you are doing right by your aunt. I hope other relatives and folk in your area will have an interest in pursuing this, as well.... nobody should die by other hands, and it be pushed aside and forgotten.
I agree with you there is much similarity between your missing teenage aunt and the resonstruction photo in the case your referring to.  I did read the link and notice it is printer friendly and is that way for non-profit use, so I'm sure you can copy paste for this interest in solving a death.  Did you try to get some information about your aunt like how tall she was ... etc.?  Did you also check with your family about Sharon's health etc.  if she was a foster child, while there may not be any dental records on someone that young and in a foster situation (although, in Canada at that time, there was free dental care up to the age of 14, so maybe they did tend to her teeth) but there must have been hospital and/or doctor's records that would identify her blood type, if not maybe still even contribute DNA facts in some way.  ... and since the authorities where this girl was found went so far as to do reconstructive imaging in an effort to identify the girl in the New York case, it's fair to assume they may have some autopsy tests and/or records to compare with old records in Newfoundland.  I know it's 30 years ago, but some of those old hospitals in small towns do have records that old....and maybe New York still has the clothes and possessions from this cold case.   just a thought on how I would proceed if I were you.   and maybe there may have been something going on in town at that time (especially with her working at Tim's) that could have brought an outsider into the picture ... for instance a prince who offered to rescue her from her boring life and take her to New York (did local police investigate if she any dreams of leaving town for a better life?) 
If you find out there to be sufficient reason to believe this is Snaron Drover's body in New York, next step would logically be to find out what hotels/motels etc. had out of town guests who checked out that day/days - for sure you need to try to find out just what questions the local police asked at her work place and around the neighborhood...no reason to expect anybody would want to keep that kind of info from you.... so you start with her co-workers who should still be alive....sometimes the slightest observation is the clue that would mean something.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:15:37 AM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »
I just noticed upon reading again....the authorities do have dental records to compare.

Unidentified: Town of Caledonia, Livingston County, NY  NIC #U157617149
printer friendly 

Basic Information
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3" 
Weight: 120 pounds
Eyes: Brown
Other: Hair: Shoulder-length, wavy, brown, with blonde frosted streaks in the front. 

Additional Information
Remains Found: Date: November 1979
Location: Just off State Rte. 20 Town of Caledonia, NY (about 23 miles southwest of Rochester, NY and 10 miles south of the New York State Thruway, I-90) in Livingston County

Victims Apparel: Tan corduroy jeans, multi-colored plaid cotton/polyester shirt, blue knee socks, brown rippled-sole shoes, red, nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms and a collar label reading Auto Sports Products, Inc. 
Miscellaneous: Victim's hair was frosted about 4 months prior to the discovery of her body.
Her body was tanned with bikini markings.
Dental information is available.

If you have any information, please call:

Agency:  Livingston County Sheriff's Office
Address:  Criminal Investigation Division
4 Court Street, Geneseo, NY 14094
Phone:  (716) 243-7120 (Case ID: CR 138159)
 or e-mail the information to:
nysvicap@troopers.state.ny.us 
Please include your
name, address and
telephone number.   

Web page posted June 20, 1997.

Information on the NYSP website is presented as a community service. Reproductions of information or images taken from the NYSP website must be used for the sole purpose of supplying information as a non-reimbursable, community service. If you are unable to download a PDF document on this site, you may request a copy by e-mailing the Planning and Research Section. Please state which document you would like and supply your name, address and phone number.
Home | Website Policy | Other Links | FAQs

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »
Hi Rice and welcome!

Sorry about your Aunt.

These 2 brothers the police mention, I find that interesting because when police post what details they do like this, they like to point people in the direction of what they theorize. It may not be the case here, since they came on there own accord.

Has your family contacted the police for an update about this? It would be interesting if they could re-interview those brothers to see if there stories still match.

I find that the police start to re-investigate cases after family starts to bug them to do so. It is still very possible this could be solved.

Good luck and thanks for sharing this with us.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »
The Newfoundland ferry comes across twice a day, it leaves North Sydney, NS  twice a day and it also leave Port Aux Basque twice a day. There is also a ferry which goes to Argentia, but that takes a longer time and it only crosses in the summer, I believe.  The ferry was the way you got to Newfoundland in '79. Many truckers go over because a lot of items would be delivered by tractor trailer trucks and still is. It is a very busy ferry. Someone actually could have taken her away from St. John's, that is the biggest city there and the waterfront is quite active. Should be checked to see if it is Sharon, it could be.   ::) ::) ::)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
while re-reading this thread, I remember that during my days of worshiping the sun, my tan lines were still quite apparent in November ... actually lasted months.

tx_bluebonnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »
there is an unsolved case here in texas from 1979, and the sketch of the victim very much resembles photos of sharon in my opinion.  i have never been able to find any statistics on sharon to compare to this unidentified woman, but the age and time would fit.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/33uftx.html

it's a long shot, but worth checking out i think...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:07:21 PM by tx_bluebonnet »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
Yes, there does seem to be a resemblance of Sharon in that sketch. It sure is a possibility that she just hooked up with someone and left town. She may have gone willingly on her own or could have been abducted. It is very strange that nobody ever found a trace of her in her home town of St. John's. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:03:27 AM »
Might be worth sending a tip to ST Johsn police.

Shelly Stokes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »
The Doe Network has added Pam to their Unexplained Disappearances Data Base.    http://www.doenetwork.com

Shelly 

aprildelaney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
Sharon Drover is my aunt from my dad's side. My father Patrick drover ( sharon's blood brother) wants some of these speculations to stop. Sharon lived as a baby to a little girl on Bell Island Newfoundland, with her family. Due to family issue's my dad's family was split apart and put into different foster and boarding homes. Her phyiscal apperences were as she looked in the photo...My dad today is 56 and still looks much like her today...she had dark brown hair, medium length, fair colored skin and a scar jut below her chin. she was 5'3" to about 5' 5" in height with a slinder shape. The case's mentioned from texas to newyork are all similar in respects to my aunt...but our family has never been notified about these case'e so it is not her . we still hold on all hopes that she ran away and lived out a different life. or that some day her been missing will be solved so we can lay it to rest or in the most worst case lay her to rest. Hopfully then all my loving aunts and uncles and also my dad can have some peace to this heart tearing event that happened in their life so many years ago.
                                                                                                                                                               Thank-you 

aprildelaney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
we have  kept in contact with people working on cases in the states that have even come close to resembling her. and they turn up negitive. see the thing is that my aunt sharon had distint scares on her body that my dad and family know that happened during her time with them. and these intact bodies have never been seen to have. and in one case a blood DNA sample was compared to one that didn't match. we don't give up or get on with our lives we live each day and at least once a day some one mentions or remembers my aunt sharon. My dad still lives in that time frame sometimes so he can remember his family being whole... people need to stop guessing and if they themselves have any leads to contact missing persons that is the only way anyone is any help to our family. not just making speculations about shoulda, coluda & woulda

gingersnap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Case Information
Status Unidentified
Case number 53512
Date found June 07, 1979 11:50
NamUs UP # 2512
ME/C Case Number: 53512
San Bernardino County, California
15 to 30 year old White Female

This young lady looks alot like Sharon Drover - site has pictures and close up of teeth. 
Hopefully some one will recognize her. 

Dulsebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
That is a very disturbing story, Navy perfume. Did you contact the police?

aprildelaney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
This gives me the willies cause in Jan or Feb 1979 while I was in Pleasantville school, I decided to run away. I had to run from the top of the hill behind the Janeway and made it to Empire ave when 2 brothers picked me up. It was a horrific night that I have never forgotten and I still don't understand to this day why they let me go. They had me up in the woods with an axe that was meant to cut open a hole in a pond...to put me in. I still shake and I do not understand why they let me go. I can't help but wonder about the 2 brothers in this story.
If that was possiably the same guys that may have harmed my aunt..I am overwhelmed that some one lived to tell the tail...Never trust the strangers is what my mom still says to me..no matter how nice they seem and no matter how much you think you could handle yourself in that situation..some one up above was looking out for you..god bless