Author Topic: Robin Douglas Goodwin (45) | Unsolved Murder | Sept 22 06 | Vergeville, AB Area  (Read 8339 times)

Carol-Lynn

December 29, 2007

Missing man mysteryRobin Douglas Goodwin, 45, disappeared over a year ago

By GLENN KAUTH, SUN MEDIA

Almost a year after police began looking for him, investigators are still baffled at the disappearance of Edmontonian Robin Douglas Goodwin.

Police believe the missing man is the victim of foul play but haven't classified the case as a homicide. His father, however, thinks he was murdered.

"That's what I figure it is, or he would have phoned me by now," Louis Goodwin said yesterday from his home in Naicam, Sask.

Police began investigating Goodwin's disappearance last January after getting reports that no one had seen him during the previous four months.

A heavy-duty mechanic for years in Nisku, the 45-year-old finished his last shift on Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, but failed to show up the following Monday.

"He was there one day and he never showed up again," said his sister, Mary Matchett. "It's quite a mystery."

No one has seen him either at the Maple Ridge mobile home park in southeast Edmonton, where Goodwin had been living in a trailer since the spring.

His father, meanwhile, describes his son as a loner and a homebody who has never been "the marrying type."

But while Goodwin "liked a little booze," Louis doesn't believe he was into drugs. Instead, he suspects his disappearance has something to do with the financial troubles he was having.

A big source of his woes was the "stupid trailer" Goodwin bought and moved into after living for years in a nearby rooming house.

"I think he lost his shirt over it," said Louis, noting the trailer needed several repairs.

Relatives learned after his disappearance that Goodwin's Ford truck had also been repossessed.

Complicating his problems was the fact Goodwin, whom his father describes as a generous person and always willing to help others, had been lending money to friends.

Louis suspects that the friends may have turned on him when he tried to collect on the loans.

Matchett, however, isn't so sure about her father's theories. A lawyer from Saskatoon, she's been to Edmonton a few times to look into the case.

But while she has her own ideas about what happened to her brother, she declined to speak about them due to the ongoing police investigation.

Matchett noted, though, that her brother, prior to disappearing, always kept in touch with relatives in Saskatchewan.

"He was pretty good about phone contact, and on holidays, birthdays, he'd come - and then nothing," she said.

For Louis, the lack of information on the case leaves him wondering if he'll ever find out what happened to his son.

"After this length of time, you just throw in the towel," he said.

Matchett, though, said she's not ready to conclude that her brother is a homicide victim.

"It's so difficult for a family to believe that, and you keep expecting a phone call or he's just going to drive in the yard and he's going to have a lot of explaining to do. But when it goes on so long, you become very worried."

Now, her hope is that someone with information on the case will go to police. "He had a life that he enjoyed very much and he had a family that loves and misses him and wants him back," she said.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:43:02 PM by Chris »

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Robin Douglas Goodwin (45) | Missing | Sept 22 2006 | Edmonton
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »

Does anyone have a picture of this man??? I know that adults often disappear, and start over. I hope he didn't run into any 'bad' people. You still may get a phone call.

Please check shelters, also Salvation Army Missing. Seems that more and more men are missing, lately,

GOOD LUCK!!!!.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »

Theresa Marie Innes also went by the last name of Goodwin. I wonder if this fellow was a relation to her.Robin Douglas Goodwin (45) | Missing | Sept 22 2006 | Edmonton

Ok, Just giving a little thought here, and you all know how I like to brainstorm, even with myself!

I do wonder if this fellow heard anything on the death of Theresa, or knew Svekla, or the TWO men that Svekla said was needed. Two to hold the victim down, and one to beat?

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

This fellow, has eaten at shelters, in the past.I haven't seen him around in ages. He used to eat often at the Herb, when I worked there. He was always pleasant, and was joking a lot.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
I updated this to an unsolved murder now. Very sad indeed.

Adrian

• View Profile

Thanks, Des, and Chris, I will go to unsolved section now. ??? :( :(

OOPS!!!!! I am already here! Anyway, I hope that this mystery , comes to a conclusion fast. He had a family who loved and cared for him. They wanted him back. To find out he had died, must be terrible.  :'(

R.I.P. Robin Goodwin  (((hugs))))) to all family and friends.

We all wish you soon find closure of some kind, and thx, for getting the links to here. It would be good if anyone knew Robin, or where he hung out, to maybe add some other information. From what I read previously, he was having financial problems, so was in need of help.He also kept in touch with his family, and they care/love him deeply.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:00:02 PM by Adrian »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
NOw I wonder if this is related to those 2 guys found murdered NE of Edmonton a few weeks ago? It does seem the same. Drug wars? Serial killer targeting men now?

Adrian

• View Profile

I hope it isn't some gang trouble, or drugs. It is strange, tho', the way he was found. Seems like a hit from somewhere, or maybe he saw something, or heard something bad. ???

July

• View Profile
Charges were laid in Jan 2014, I couldn't find anything further.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/23/charges-laid-in-2006-edmonton-cold-case

Photo of Robin Douglas Goodwin. On Jan 23, 2014, as a result of seven years investigation, Edmonton RCMP Major Crimes Unit and the Historical Homicide Unit investigators have arrested and charged, Michael Jay Hook, 51-year-old of the Edmonton area, with the murder Robin Douglas (Doug) Goodwin. Michael Hook was arrested without incident on January 22, 2014 and has been remanded in custody to appear in Vegreville Provincial Court on January 27, 2014. Mr. Goodwin had been reported missing on January 17, 2007 to the Edmonton Police Service. He was last seen alive at his place of employment, a mining business in Nisku, Alberta on September 22, 2006. On November 2, 2007, human remains were discovered near Hilliard, Alberta and in June, 2008, DNA analysis confirmed the remains were that of Doug Goodwin. Goodwin's death was ruled a homicide.

By Pamela Roth, Edmonton Sun 
First posted:  Thursday, January 23, 2014 04:59 PM MST  | Updated:  Friday, January 24, 2014 08:48 AM MST 

Murder charge in 17-year-old Edmonton homicide

The past seven years have been difficult for the family of Robin Douglas Goodwin.

The 51-year-old Edmonton man went missing in January 2007, his body discovered 10 months later in a wooded area west of Vegreville.

The death left his family devastated, but now they are feeling relieved that a man has been arrested and charged with the second-degree murder of a loved one taken to soon.

"We are very relieved that the person responsible for Robin's murder will finally be held accountable," said Goodwin's sister, Mary Matchett in a statement released to the media. The family asked for privacy at this time.

"Sadly our parents are not here today to see (this) arrest. We miss Robin every day and he would have been 53 years old next month."

A longtime heavy-duty mechanic in Nisku, Goodwin finished his shift on Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, but failed to show up for work the following Monday. Nobody at the Maple Ridge mobile home park, where Goodwin had been living since the spring of 2006, had seen him either.

Matchett told Sun media at the time of his disappearance that Goodwin was always good about keeping in touch with his family in Saskatchewan. When family and friends failed to hear from him for four months, he was reported missing to Edmonton police in January 2007.

On Nov. 2 that same year, someone walking through a wooded area about 25 kilometres west of Vegreville came across human remains. Found alongside the remains were a denim vest covered in KISS and Apollo space flight patches -- two of Goodwin's many interests.

Friends and family had no doubt the items belonged to Goodwin after RCMP released several photos of the items in an attempt to identify the man. Seven months later, DNA analysis confirmed the remains were that of Goodwin, whose death was ruled a homicide.

New leads in the case urged approximately 25 officers to return to the area last August and further search for specific clues and items.

"Although these types of investigations present various challenges and sometimes require several years to bring the matter before the courts, the perseverance of the investigative team has led to the charges being laid," said Stacey Talbot, officer in charge of the RCMP Edmonton Major Crimes Unit.

Michael Jay Hook of the Edmonton area was arrested on Jan. 22 and charged with second-degree murder. The 51-year-old is scheduled to appear in Vegreville Provincial Court Jan. 27.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Thank you July for the update on Robin.  The police should also be thanked for the work that they did on this case.  Even though he was murdered in 2006, it is amazing that they were able to catch the killer.

I hope the family and Robin's memory,  received justice of which they certainly deserved.

jb