Author Topic: Amy Marjorie Ferris (70) | Missing | 1993  (Read 8850 times)

Carol-Lynn

Amy Marjorie Ferris (70) | Missing | 1993
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:04:33 PM »
Active outgoing was a widow,Was going to go on a trip to London OT.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:12:57 PM by Chris »

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Amy Marjorie Ferris (70) | Missing | 1993
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
Marjorie Amy FERRIS - Missing
Occurrence No.:   1993-14756

Date Last Seen:   March 5, 1993   
Build:   Medium
Place Last Seen:   5166 Lakeshore Road, Apt. 607, Burlington , ON   
Height:   163 cm (5.3 ft)
Age (At Time of Disappearance):   70 yrs.   
Weight:   61 kg (134.2 lbs)
Date of Birth:   April 22, 1922   
Eye Colour:   Blue
Hair Colour:   Black; Wavy; Collar length;
Ethnicity:   Caucasian   
Facial Hair:   None
Complexion:   Unknown       

General Appearance:   Wears glasses
Marks / Scars / Tattoos:   Unknown
Dental:   Dentures
Medical:   Unknown
Habits:   Unknown
Clothing:   Grey slacks
Sweatshirt type top
Dark green ski jacket with red/orange on it
Black walking boots with a side zipper
Additional Information:   Ms. Ferris was reported missing when she did not show up in London where she was to visit friends. Her apartment was found secured with her purse inside. Her vehicle was parked in the underground at her building. Extensive investigation failed to uncover any information regarding her disappearance.
If you have any information on this case, please call Regional Investigative Services at 905-825-4747 ext. 8760 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

http://www.hrps.on.ca/CrimeFiles/Lists/MissingPersons/DispForm.aspx?ID=11

JennyFerris

• Miss you Grandma :'( - 20 yrs gone, not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »
This is  my grandmother. She's been gone 20 years this month (in a few days now).
We still really miss her and the not knowing what happened has got to be the hardest to deal with.
Just wanted to post a note once I found this site to connect her to a living person.
Jenny

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
Hi Jenny, and welcome.

I'm sorry that you have never had any closure in the disappearance of your grandmother. 'Not knowing' is always the hardest part. When someone vanishes without a trace it's hard to accept, and hard to move on. It takes a while for us to realize that they aren't going to 'walk through the door'. Losing a loved one this way kind of leaves us in limbo. It leaves so many questions. I hope someday you and your family will find the answers you need.

Amy Marjorie Ferris is pictured below.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »
Jenny, 20 years is a long time. This must have been painful for you and your family.  Is there anything you can tell us about your grandmother or specific that may remotely be of concern? Our group is good at research and checking into nuances. The more they know the more ideas they can help you with.

*changed 30 to 20
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:12:32 PM by Concerned »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
There are a few more details at the Doe Network.

The Doe Network:
Case File 626DFON

Marjorie Amy Ferris
Missing since March 5, 1993 from Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 12, 1912
Age at Time of Disappearance: 70 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 134 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown, wavy collar-length hair; blue eyes. She wears glasses. Medium build.
Clothing: Grey slacks, Sweatshirt type top, Dark green ski jacket with red/orange on it, Black walking boots with a side zipper
Dentals: Dentures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ferris was last seen at her apartment at Lakeshore Road, in Burlington on March 5, 1993.

Ferris was reported missing when she did not show up in London where she was to visit friends. They were driving to Florida with that weekend. Inside her locked apartment, police found her purse sitting on a chair next to her bed while her wallet, with $45 in U.S. currency, was on the dining-room table along with some papers, including her chequebook.Her car keys were in the apartment and her car was parked in the building's underground garage. The only clothing her family knows was missing from her apartment was her winter boots. All of her winter coats have been accounted for.

There is nothing to indicate that there was any foul play involved in her disappearance.
Police can only speculate that she went for a walk behind her Lakeshore Road apartment building that night at the height of a winter storm - and fell into the frigid waters of Lake Ontario. Ferris was known to go for lakeside walks to feed the geese.
Three air and ground police searches, a plea by the family in a local newspaper, a distribution of flyers in malls, a Florida investigation and door-to-door interviews failed to turn up a clue.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
The Detective Sergeant
3 District C.I.B.
Halton Regional Police Service
905-825-4777 extension 2315

Agency Case Number: 014756-93 / 1993-14756

Source Information:
Halton Regional Police Service
The Toronto Star

http://doenetwork.org/cases/626dfon.html

JennyFerris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
Hi Folks, and thanks for the follow ups today.
20 yrs is a long long time.
I followed the Doe link and they have her birth year wrong, even tho it's referenced from the Halton Police site (birth year of 1922 is correct).

I was only 20 when she vanished and as a 'grandkid' was kept mostly out of the loop of discussion as to what happened and what was being done.
What I recall, is much of what is listed online.
My parents have had a recent phone call to follow up with a new investigator, following up on cold cases and since this one is 20 yrs, it's on his to see what, if anything there is, to add, check etc.
A tiny bit of hope that after 20 yrs, maybe something will click into place, but frankly, looking at it as more a follow up and a small piece of 'honouring the dead' in talking to folks again.

Not knowing is indeed incredibly hard.
We had a memorial for her a year after she was gone, but her belongings were packed with the family and stored, just in case.
After a long number of years, they finally went thru things and divided up what was sitting in boxes.
I got a few things, including some prints she had had on her wall in the living room.
I treasure them a great deal.

She did love to feed the geese/swans. I remember doing that often as a kid. We'd drive to a park that had them, and a bag of crusts in hand, my brother and I would go with her to feed the birds.

Will follow up if anything surfaces, and will keep an eye on posts.
Never know what may happen after all these years.
Thanks folks.

JennyFerris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Her apartment was the deadbolt lock style, so she'd have to lock it from the hall as she left.
She must have had 2 sets of keys.

When she had her farmhouse years before, she always had house keys with her, but a set or 2 hidden at home outside too.
It was always me or my brother's job to go get it and put it back when we were done opening the door.

Grandma loved to garden too. So do I. And I can still see her gardens when I was a kid.

I understood from my aunt, that she had one of her winter coats, as it was not in the apartment.
But I totally agree, to go for a walk in a storm also doesn't make sense.
But I have no other ideas or solutions of thought to work thru that.

It was certainly one of those moments from "Unsolved Mysteries" TV show from that time period too.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »
Jenny, I was confused about her plans. She was suppose to meet friends in London? Then they were driving to Florida?

Do you have the days, and times that she was expected? Was anything missing from her house?  Did she live with any animals? Were they at the house? If she was going to go on vacation(if London and Florida are vacations) did she pull a decent amount of money out of the bank? Perhaps someone saw her that day?

When you were little and you went to feed the birds with your grandmother, what was her routine? Did she do anything to get ready? Did she dress warm? How long did it take her? Did she go about the same time every night?  Did she walk on ice? Or stay on path? Anything you can do to tell us what her routine was like might be helpful.

Did she trust strangers? Open doors to them? Did she get along with all her neighbors? Would she have visited with any neighbors that night? Have friends close? Did they like the birds too? Did she have any health concerns? Ever black out or have heart problems?  In the days around the time she went missing did she express any concerns about any incidents? Any problems? Any run-ins with any locals?

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
I am so sorry you have waited this long for answers about your grandma. Like everyone else has said, not knowing where she is, let alone what happened must make an already hard situation even worse.

That was a messy, cold winter from what I remember. I wonder ... where did she have to go to take out her garbage? Some places have a chute but other places had a separate set up for recycling... I was living in Toronto at that time and recycling meant going outside to dump it. Whatever it was, it sounds like she only meant it to be a quick trip and back inside again. Were they able to pinpoint a time she was last seen? How long did it take her friends to report her missing?

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
Why did the Florida police investigate when she never even left her apartment by car?