Author Topic: Jay Boyle | Missing | PICKERING | 1995  (Read 24045 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Jay Boyle | Missing | PICKERING | 1995
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
They are almost there with the signatures, so let's help...if you haven't signed this petition, please do so.  DNA is such a valuable tool in solving mysteries, tests must be undertaken wherever/whenever possible.  It is possible in this case.  It may not pan out, but they need to try, it may give answers to people that have waited far too long.
 Just wondering, thinking, these boys must have gone pretty far out into the lake to end up in Niagara, if that is what happened.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
Here is the file that the family discovered.
https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2005004299&id=9

Case Reference: 2005004299

The remains of this adult male were recovered from the water intake channel at the Sir Adam Beck Hydro Generating Station, Niagara River.

This case has 1 Unidentified

Discovered At: Niagara Falls , ON

Unidentified

Case Reference: 2005004299

Sorry, I do not know how to post the pic of the red denim jeans.

It further says;
As of March 20, 2014 . Verify current information and status at www.canadasmissing.ca or contact the agency below.

If you have information on this case, please contact any of the following:
1.Niagara Regional Police Service : 905-688-4111
 Reference Case#: 98-31237

2.Ontario Provincial Police Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies Unit (MPUB) : OPP MPUB 1-877-934-6363; 1-705-330-4144; tips@missing-u.ca; opp.isb.resolve@ontario.ca
 Reference Case#: MPUB-20050042OPP

3.Crime Stoppers: 1-800-222-TIPS(8477)  or online at https://www.tipsubmit.com
 Crime Stoppers provides anonymous tipping

4.Send email to the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains at:
canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Has the family contacted one of these agencies to say that they believe it is their brother?

(I noticed that each agency has their own reference number for this case).

If so, what did the agency  say?  I mean the agency would have to follow up on it would they not?

I would think that there are protocols to take.  It's astonishing that nothing has been done or no interest shown by any one of these agencies. You would think they would welcome the chance to have these remains identified by a family.

I will sign the petition. I hope that this family will find their answers, and receive a more  helpful response from these
agencies, should they try again.

jb

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:44:09 PM by jellybean »

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 10:13:04 AM »
yea I was dumbfounded that they wouldn't want to close the case by testing with dna.. more so..how do they make the ID otheriwse? visually by family? How many false bodies have been identified this way then?

justsayin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
I signed that petition.  I can't believe they would hold this family back from eliminating this possibility.  I hope they find out soon.

palisades

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
I signed this petition and sent it onto others to sign as well. It had reached 30 000 signatures as of last night.

I too remember this vividly. I worked with Jay's father (a wonderful man) and participated in the searches along the lakefront, hunting for any items of clothing or other signs of the six boys. There was nothing.

The temperature of the water at that time was around 2C, and an average person would become hypothermic in minutes, with death between 20-60 minutes generally (women, fatter people and some ethnic groups, like Inuit, are more resistant to hypothermia).   Assuming the boys went out into deep water, and they were not wearing life jackets, their bodies would sink and never surface, due to the cold.

It seem the Niagara Regional Police are certain that the remains found could not be Jay's because they were found  at the intake of the generating station, which is above the falls. Another body of a young male was found nearby the same day.   The remains could not have reached that point solely by drifting in the lake. However, we have no information on what happened or where the boys went. Did they take the boat along the shore, sink it or hide it somewhere, hitch rides or fall into bad company or otherwise end up on the other side of the falls?  Too much is unknown and red jeans as Jay's sister describes of the same brand and size were not so commonplace.

The other body found is probably one of the other 5 boys.  There should be a DNA data bank of missing persons and unidentified remains.   

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »
  There should be a DNA data bank of missing persons and unidentified remains.   
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4369617-new-missing-persons-dna-database-celebrated/Feb 15, 2014   |  Vote  2     0 

to be running in 2016 A DNA database will have its limits, too. It won't help in older cases that predate DNA sampling for unidentified remains, Dorling added.

That means someone like Karel Szabo, who vanished from Kitchener in 1984, could have been buried in another state or province without a sample of his DNA kept for coroner's records.

You can read more about Szabo's case inside Saturday's Record.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:34:05 PM by jellybean »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the above article, JB. I was about to do the same, but you beat me to it. :)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »
The families mark the 19th year with no resolve. And, now they are asking for a DNA test on human remains found near Niagara River. There are six missing boys, you would think the cost of a DNA test would be insignificant, at this point. I almost want to send my change tot he department to have this done. Doesn't it cost something like under $20 to have this done? What in the world is holding this up. These are children, for heaven's sakes - not that any human life is not worth it.

Hopes and prayers for:
Jay Boyle, ?, 17
Chad Smith, ?, 18
Robbie Rumboldt, Pickering, 17
Jamie Lefebvre, Scarborough, 17
Michael Cummins, Oshwawa, 17
Danny Higgins, Ajax, 16

I hope those families pictured sitting shoulder to shoulder along the river realize there are more sitting shoulder to shoulder behind them not pictured. Hugs to all.

Source:
Durham families mark 19 years since six teens disappeared in Pickering
Families ask for DNA test on human remains found near Niagara River
March 20, 2014
http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story/4420131-durham-families-mark-19-years-since-six-teens-disappeared-in-pickering/

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
...still waiting on DNA testing from 1998. I hope that's a typo.

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »
I know there is a case on here where a policeman in Ontario submitted dna samples to an ancestry company for resolving an old cold case, just can't remember the case at the moment. They were able to close the case, iirc.

People sending in spit samples to 23andme.ca and Ancestry.com do not have to wait long at all as some waited only 1 month and a few others I know waited about 3 months. It goes with how busy they are. As we know, there are few forensic labs available in Canada and they are faced with backlogs.

If this case only needs forensic testing on a possible perp sample, it may be the best way to go for closure of some sort at least.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
I know there is a case on here where a policeman in Ontario submitted dna samples to an ancestry company for resolving an old cold case, just can't remember the case at the moment. They were able to close the case, iirc.

I think this may be what you are thinking of sap. Amazing what a can of worms this person opened with his perseverance.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7972.msg123478#msg123478

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »

I think this may be what you are thinking of sap. Amazing what a can of worms this person opened with his perseverance.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=7972.msg123478#msg123478

That is really interesting and great what they now can use, but I don't think that is the one I was thinking of, Debbie. I was thinking of an Ontario case however if I read through fast I might have made a mistake where it took place. I remember the article being a lot shorter and not so much detail.

The bottom line though is, it can be done and eventually more cases can be solved.