Author Topic: Remains identified as missing Edmonton man | Brian Patrick Toni | Chaplin, SK  (Read 3366 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Remains discovered this fall in southwestern Saskatchewan are those of an Edmonton man who's been missing for six years, the RCMP announced.

But what happened to Brian Patrick Toni is still a mystery, Sgt. Brad Kaeding said Tuesday.

Brian Toni was 51 when he disappeared in 2001.
(RCMP) Toni's remains were found near Chaplin, Sask., about 16 kilometres from where his empty vehicle was found July 29, 2001. The 51-year-old, who had relatives in the area, had gone missing about three weeks earlier.

The police and University of Saskatchewan forensic expert Ernie Walker used DNA tests to identify the remains.

Kaeding said Tuesday that the RCMP are pleased they've been able to identify the body but he noted that it doesn't mean the case is closed.

"The cause of death has not yet been determined and exactly what happened to Mr. Toni still remains a bit of a mystery," he said. "So, the historical case unit is still involved in that avenue of the investigation."

More than 80 people are on Saskatchewan's long-term missing persons list.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/12/19/missing-man.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Hi Des,

I am surprised I had never heard of this case before. I think I heard he was last seen in Leduc. Shamrock is pretty much a ghost town and that road is pretty remote. I looked at my map and was wondering if someone did him harm, dumped him and then continued on with his truck and then abondoned it where it was found? Liike a hitchiker or something?

Why would he park his truck in a hidden place and then walk that far? It seem very odd for me. Shamrock may be small, but there is people and help could have been given.

And no, I do not think this is 2 different juristictions. RCMP have huge areas to cover here.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Canadians do move around from one province to the other. All the more reason to have a national data base for the missing and it's relatives.  In this case, the relatives reported him missing, and so it was easier to get a DNA match-up. (thankfully).