Author Topic: Ruchael Eva Friers April 30, 2006  (Read 9186 times)

Carol-Lynn

Ruchael Eva Friers April 30, 2006
« on: December 16, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »

December 16, 2007

Possible deal for accused in Calgary hooker slaying

By KEVIN MARTIN, SUN MEDIA

CALGARY -- One of three women charged in the killing of a city prostitute is working on a possible deal with the prosecution, her lawyer said Friday.

Defence counsel Markam Silver told Justice Beth Hughes he is in talks with the Crown to determine if he can resolve his client's case.

Alexis Vandenberg made a brief appearance in Court of Queen's Bench, where Silver asked that her case be postponed until next month.

She was scheduled to set a trial date in the case, but Silver said he and the prosecution have been discussing a resolution.

"The Crown and I are very close to having this matter resolved," he told Hughes.

He asked that Vandenberg's case return to court Jan. 25.

"I hope we well have the matter to a point where it can be disposed of."

Vandenberg, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the April 30, 2006, death of Ruchael Eva Friers.

The body of Friers, 34, was found in a city dump nearly two months after her slaying.

An autopsy was unable to determine the cause of death.

Another woman, Crystal Dawn Struthers pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month for her role in Friers' death.

Struthers has not yet been sentenced.

A date for her sentencing hearing will be set next week, said her lawyer, Balfour Der.

A third suspect, Sara Anne Rowe is set to go to trial next October. All three women are in custody awaiting resolution of their cases.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ruchael Eva Friers April 30, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
OK, get ready to be pissed off with this. My money is on a sentence that lets her out in 6 months  - 1 year.

Carol-Lynn

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:39 AM »
I don't think it would even help to get pissed off It is the same old same old.
The women was just a hooker right so what the hell do we care she had it comming right after all she did drugs.
Same gose for the pig man I still think he should have had 6 life senctes.
I getting off this topic before I blow a gasket. >:(

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:19:49 AM »

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY ? One of three women involved in the torture death of a Calgary prostitute was sentenced Thursday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 12 years.

Sara Ann Rowe, 25, pleaded guilty earlier this fall to second-degree murder in the death of Ruchael Friars.

Rowe had originally been charged with first-degree murder in the April 2006 slaying of the 34-year-old woman.

Crystal Dawn Struthers and Alexis Vandenburg, who were also convicted in the killing, were previously sentenced to eight-and-a-half years each.

Court heard the three beat, burned and cut Friars, glued her eyes shut and carved the word ?Rat? into her forehead because they mistakenly believed she was a police informant.

Her remains were discovered in a south Calgary landfill nearly two months later.

Friars? daughter, Micaela Berry, came from Ontario to tell court how the murder turned her world upside down.

?The death of my mother has changed the person I am,? Berry said, as many in the courtroom, including Rowe, wiped away tears.

?I am not the same happy young girl I used to be and at times view myself as a confused and angry young woman.?

Before sentencing Rowe offered a teary apology.

?I know I don?t have a right to ask for forgiveness, but I do have a right to say I?m sorry,? she said.

?My life has been permanently changed and I can?t imagine what it has done for Ruchael?s family.?

Defence lawyer Ian McKay said his client?s life spiralled into drugs after she quit school in Grade 10, the day she learned her father had died of a drug overdose ? days after she told him she wished him dead.

Outside court, Berry, 16, said she felt it was important to speak on behalf of her mother, who left her family and came to Calgary where she fell into drugs and prostitution.

?I just wanted her to be remembered as a good person and not as someone who was doing drugs and sold herself,? she said.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:04:44 AM »
So this sadistic pschopath who tortures and kills a person and then dumps her in the dump gets 12 years and will probably be out in 5?

Yeah, our system is really cruel sometimes. This is a huge joke. It was the worst kind of murder there is, and she'll be sent to the Hilton for women prisoners for 5 or 6 years and then get to live her life no problem.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

Seems so Chris! The 2 other gals got 8 and a half years, each. These pigs that did this, appear to have been following orders, but from who I don't know. Seems that the sex trade workers, often come across something, or over hear something, and if they let it be known, they are targetted.

But these bitches, went way over the line, going out of their way to humiliate, torture this gal. To use crazy glue on eyelids, writing rat on her fore head, beating her, killing her, and all they get is this???? How warped can these three be? They must never be released from prison, ever!!!

This case has infuriated me so much, that I hope, the time they serve is hell.I hope the cooks spit in their soup, sorry, but this offends me no end. The gal they killed, is safe now, in the arms of the Creator.

When these gals come up for Parole, I hope we have a big petition to keep them inside. By their own actions, they not only killed Ruchael Friars, but showed how sadistically cruel they are. They are bad as Holmoka(sp).

When will Canada realize that life in prison should be life in prison. Not ten years, 8, 20, but a full life sentence???? Nothing changes, if nothing changes!!! Why don't the law makers get this?? This crime was pre meditated, viscious, cruel, sadistic, and if I were a Judge, they would have got the death penalty. BUT wait, we no longer have the death penalty, so LIFE should mean LIFE. Jail till they meet their maker!!!

What do you guys think? Haven't we seen time and again, people killed deliberately, with intent, with the knowledge that they are taking a human life, and the perp, spends a few years in the slammer.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:58:10 AM »
Yes we have seen this too often. People would be enraged if someone killed a puppy or kitten in that manner, but since they simply killed a STW it is no big deal. Even the judge, give them a short sentence.... no big deal.

It seems the one who got 12 yeasr was the leader, the one who gave orders, the other 2 only get 8 years, will be on the street soon.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 02:13:08 AM »

These three women have blood on their hands. Not only did they kill, a sister working gal, they destroyed any feelings of "sorry" for them. They did this with no
morals, ethics, scruples, without blinking an eye.People without a concience, and commit murder, should stay behind bars for life!!! That means till they die.

Hopefully, in prison, they will talk of what they know. Hard to say, but these pigs are dangerous; too dangerous to be on the street.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »

RIP Ruchael Friers:

Your killers did not get much time, but just think, they too will die one day, and meet their maker. You will be an angel, and these will be maggot turd.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:19:05 AM »
Who do you think you are? That is my mother and she was not just some hooker, you have no clue who she is! She was a great person, so before you start talking about her maybe you oculd understand bitch

Who was your mother? The victim? IN all fairness, that is not her words, it was the title of the article.

disgusted_female

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »
Ruchael Eva Friars. May she rest in peace, and not be discriminated for her choices in life. I knew, i Know her, She was a great mother who was always there for her kids, and always had the things in life they needed. Her 3 children even after her death, are still being provided with everything they need, coming from their mother. She made sure, that when she left, if anything were to ever happen to her, her children would be safe. and they are. SO what maybe she was a STW that does not make it right for 3 psychotic women to torture her for something even I KNOW she would not do, and it has come out, that she didn't "rat" anyone out for anything. Ruchael was like a mother to me. I have known her my whole life. I was the last person to see her before she left for Calgary. I should have said something, but i was young, really young, i am the same age as her oldest son, we are best friends even to this day.
I wish that the people out there who are saying "she was a STW who really gives a crap what happen to her" Belive it ot not, ALOT of people DO care about her, Alot of people do miss her, she moved to a different province with just the clothing off her back, she had to do something, But what happen to her, there is not reason for it. I did not know the full story, for i was too afraid to look it up, there are some things that are better a young women should not know. But my mother brought up the subject (She misses her terribly and often brings up the times she would help Friars out.) They were BEST FRIENDS since high school. Maybe even before that. But my mom thought i knew what happen, then showed me all the articles. And to think that there are people out there who do this! Its is a disgrace!
YES drugs had a part in it, i know that if they were not on crack it probably would not went that far or even happen at all. But the fact that it did in the first place makes me sick.
---Ruchael, I miss you and i love you and i will never forget you! I to this day, still prey to you, and hope that you are listening and watching over your children, me and my mom were remembering you lastnight. She said you would be so proud of how well your children are doing, i said you ARE proud! I know you are up there, watching over them, showing them the way to go, the way you didnt have a chance to see. I will be seeing you again. and when i do, im going to give you a BIIIIIIG hug---

Those women should rot in hell! Never come out of jail. if this was the states, they would be getting EXECUTED, poked with a needle, and die. I wish that some day i or someone else will have the chance to place this upon them, so they REALLY know what it is like and how much pain Ruchael had felt!

Yours Truly,
A girl who misses Ruchael so much!

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
I for one, do not think less of Ruchael because of her life choices...she was a human being, a mom.   She did not deserve to be tortured and killed.  The press used those words..an insensitive lot sometimes.  I am sorry for you people that loved Ruchael, that should never have happened to her.  The 3 people that murdered Ruchael, should each have gotten LIFE in prison.  I am sick and tired of people taking other people's lives and getting out in 5-10 years.  Life for a life.  That is what Canada should do.  It seems that the perpetrators get more rights than the victim and the victim's families.  It has to change, and I don't understand why it hasn't. 

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
I'm so sorry about your mother, that is so sad.

I'm also sorry the justice system sort of did not work in this case.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
I too am sorry for you loss of your mom. If all these people were involved in the murder, they should be serving 25 years without parole. This was a brutal and cold hearted crime, they should have locked them up and threw away the key. I know what you mean about our justice system. They don't serve enough time for taking a person's life.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

mikebailey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
i knew alexis vandenberg when she was in her teenage years. its not surprising that this was the life she ended up leading. its such a shame what she and the other 2 did to this poor woman, but yet again, not surprising. i know its been a few years since this all happened, but my money was always on alexis being the mastermind behind it all, especially knowing her growing up.