Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Edgar Millen, Killed, 1932, Mad Trapper I.D.  (Read 28505 times)

mark

• View Profile
Re: Edgar Millen, Killed, 1932, Mad Trapper I.D.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »
Yes, the knife was made from a trap spring. He obviously would rather not spend too much of his money. If you have a copy of "What Became of Sigvald Anyway, Was He the Mad Trapper of Rat River ", You'll find it in the list of items of no value in Albert Johnsons estate to be destroyed, on page 58 in the appendix. The method of destruction is shown on page 60, it was thrown in the Ottawa river April 26 1940.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 03:38:16 AM »
I'll check out that book too. This is a very interesting story and it would be neat if it were solved who he was.

Carl Kolchak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
Top Five reasons the Mad Trapper was a gangster

1. The Cops thought so because he didn't talk and like to shoot it out. (Give them credit if it's true.)
2. He was an expert gunhandler. (He could shoot like hitman Louis "Two Gun" Alterie, another wilderness fanatic, who was exiled at the same time, and died a similar death by sniperfire.)
3. He said he was reading about himself (or his gang?) in the paper when the Jake Lingle killing was still in the news. (Assuming he and Arthur Nelson were the same person.)
4. His family didn't come forward. (Maybe his family was the Mob.)
5. Mob association explains why a Scandinavian (remember the "Swedish hitman" in Smoking Aces?) might pull a Rambo stunt. (Sigvald's exteme sense of rejection makes another good motive as does extreme isolation and/or religious identity.)

n.b. If he was from the Midwest where people easily lose contact with each other in the vast spaces and was adopted early by the Mob, identification might be next to impossible.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
It is still only speculation untill a positive DNA match is made. I also read the book and found it very interesting. However, I 'm not sure about the  theory of him being a gangster. To me it seemed like he would be someone a lot more versed in survival given the extreme conditions that he was able to overcome. I think some of the most experienced climbers would have a hard time climbing the way he did. The fact that the RCMP enlisted the help of locals also suggests to me that it was someone who either knew the area or someone with enough experience to adapt to the harsh environment and survive. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:23:05 PM by debbiec »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 04:29:59 AM »
Who ever he was, he sure was a tough as mails guy that is for sure.

It would be great if they could solve this via DNA one day.

mark

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
It's unfortunate there seems to be a lack of interest in traditional investigating. A reward is now being offered for help in this case through the website http://www.wassigvaldthemadtrapper.com/

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:41 AM »
That is interesting. I hope it works out. I guess one way or another, if they keep this up, it could be solved

Tekmat

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
Top Five reasons the Mad Trapper was a gangster

1. The Cops thought so because he didn't talk and like to shoot it out. (Give them credit if it's true.)
3. He said he was reading about himself (or his gang?) in the paper when the Jake Lingle killing was still in the news.
Author/conservationist, Grey Owl, had started writing articles on the wilderness in Country Life in 1929. Maybe he was reading about people like himself in one of these stories where he was talking about the last of the free trappers.
This battle in the Artic seems to be a microcosm of the national conflict between wilderness and Empire with the inevitable result.
The theory that only a gangster wouldn't talk seems to show an ignorance of the taciturn and independant spirit of these extraordinary men of the wilderness as described by Grey Owl.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
Good point. He could have been just a real loner with emotional problems.

Buble

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
It would be great if they could solve this via DNA one day. CHRIS
DNA so far has failed to reveal the identity of the Mad Trapper. All candidates have so far been eliminated including Sigvald.

Oxygen isotopes from the teeth also eliminates all Canadian-raised candidates.

New ones keep coming up. Here's one of the latest from the Sigvald site, along with a 'modern' candidate for comparison.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:36:57 PM by Buble »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
Wow! I guess they really want to solve this case to do that many tests. Hope it works out.

Buble

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
There is good evidence that Albert Johnson is the same person known as Arthur Nelson who appeared in Northern BC in 1926. See the comparison image below of the Mad Trapper's death photo with the only known picture of Arthur Nelson.

If he wasn't a wanted criminal and only started using aliases because he became paranoid after years in the wilderness, then perhaps his real name is Arthur Nelson and he was telling the truth when he told people he was a seaman who came to New Orleans on a Swedish ship and then made his way up to Wisconsin and then Canada.

We probably shouldn't be looking for long-time American relatives as he probably went up the Mississippi  alone. He could still be identified by Norwegian or Swedish relatives but the level of awareness over there is low.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:40:35 PM by Buble »

sherlockholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
Racially he looks Swedish, he most likely told the truth about his background.

FM

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 05:43:06 PM »
Arthur Nelson could very well be considered a Swede. Swedish-Canadian trapper, Edward Asp, spoke with him and reported he could speak fluent Swedish and he spoke English with a trace of a Scandinavian accent. Anyone who arrives before their mid teens shouldn't have an accent. And he wouldn't likely have learned to speak fluent Swedish if his parents lived in America and understood English.
he told people he was a seaman who came to New Orleans on a Swedish ship and then made his way up to Wisconsin and then Canada.
It was Ed Asp who said that, not Arthur Nelson. Nelson claimed he was raised on a North Dakota farm and mentioned logging in Wisconsin. He could have learned Swedish from his parents.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=THmTxAxba_MC&pg=PA66&dq=mad+trapper+rat+river+wisconsin&hl=en&ei=n0KeTajpMpLTgQfC5bDfDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mad%20trapper%20rat%20river%20wisconsin&f=false
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:37:16 PM by FM »

Capertroy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
When I served as Chief Administrative Officer for the community of Fort McPherson NWT from 2003-2007, I received a package from an elderly lady from either the U.S. or BC. Included in the package were letters preported to be between her Great Uncle and "Albert Johnson" (not the name used in the documents) as well as photographs also said to be of her uncle and his good friend. I believed them to be authentic at the time.