Author Topic: Emily Osmond - September 9, 2007 - Age 78 - Missing - Kawacatoose FN  (Read 18711 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Osmond ? September 9, 2007 ? Age 78 ? Missing - Kawacatoose FN
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »

I think, raisin pie, that you are doing good in getting the information out. Plus there are many others, helping out. It is so GOOD to hear of people getting together, and doing searches, and not letting things slide. By the way, Emily, strikes me as a beautiful woman, gentle, serene, and fun. I hope the answers come soon, until then (hugs) to all family and friends.

It would also be good to get her photo to as many band offices, Friendship Centres, as you can. Each could FAX another, and so on.I think all our missing women, should all have pics, circumstances, to be sent to the above, and all shelters. The nationality doesn't matter, but the message does.

Oh, Did you hear of the Stephanie Stuart missing case? She worked alone at a firetower, and disappeared, also leaving her truck, etc. This hasn't been solved either. Best of luck to all friends, and family members, and evryone who partakes in the search. :( :( :( :( :(

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
Des, I  did read the information that was listed on the site, which is quite extensive. The police feel definitely foul play is involved in Stephanie's disappearance. It is kind of the same evidence as Emily, as they both were in isolated areas. She sure was a brave individual to live in those parts by herself, I am not a brave cat, I like to have neighbours and traffic. I live in a nice area, good neighbours and very little crime. It certainly is a mystery, it is just some wacko that probably was visiting there at one time and came back. Why would anyone just happen on there, it doesn't make sense. I think it was someone that knew she was there alone, which should never be  made known to anyone when all these people are coming and going. They should  give information that there are at least three people there at once or two. No one should have to be there by themselves.  If they have to pay two people, pay them, a life is worth more then money. Women should not be hired to be in these places by themselves, especially at her age, no matter how adventurous she was. The fact that 20,000 was a reward and no one came forward is even more of a mystery. I believe the money if available may work, if they can keep it out there in the media they could solve it.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »
Desespere:  thank you for that summary of missing seniors!  Looks like another epidemic!  Is there a missing seniors webiste or link or a page dedicated to missing seniors.  I know that there are lots of pages on missing persons on the web. 

Just where do these elderly people go?  How is it that they can just vanish?  Aunt Emily would never ever just walk away or leave.  From all accounts, she loved her daily routines and her dogs were her babies. She would never just leave them.  She accumulated all kinds of stray dogs (and cats when she lived in town).  She did make reference in a letter, that she started and never mailed, that she felt that someone was watching her and that she was always afraid to be very long in town otherwise someone might come and bother her dogs.  But she was fiercely independent and would never call any relatives and consider a move.  So, maybe she was right that there was someone coming around, but not many people could get to her with the dogs there.  Many of our family members did not go there due to the dogs because some of them could be quite vicious, she was the only person who could handle them.  But there were the regulars that would go to assist her as stated in my previous post. 

Adrian: thanks for your comments.  Aunt Emily was a hard working woman all her life.  She raised 7 children, and many other long term and short term foster children.  During her working career, she obtained Chef papers and instructed cooking classes, owned and managed her restaurant.  When she did join family activities she was always happy and joyful. 

In the meantime, we keep on searching, praying and request if anyone can help in any way to contact us.

Thank you all for your concern!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
Hi raisinpie, it sounds like your aunt was quite accomplished in her lifetime and lived a good life. To me it seems like you said it all in this last post when you said "but not too many people could get to her with the dogs there. Many of our family members did not go there because the dogs could be quite vicious. She was the only person who could handle them". If that is the case it sounds like either she left to go somewhere and something happened witch prevented her from being able to return or it has something to do with one of the few people who could get near the dogs. That's just my opinion. 

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »
hi debbiec,
although I have been asked by the press and others to "speculate" about what I think might have happened, I usually decline comment and deal with the facts.  You are probably accurate about the people who could get close to her, the "regulars" if you will.  Some or most have been cleared as suspects.  The police won't give us all of the information since they won't reveal information that could in any way jeopardise the investigation.  Very puzzling indeed!  Thanks for the response. :)

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Hello again, then I think that we need to lobby for something such as a "silver alert"... what a great tool/process to use!!!

Have a good weekend all....  :)

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
This is quite startling that there are that many seniors missing. It sure sounds like that "silver alert" would be a great instrument to help find missing seniors. I am all for it and it should be brought to the attention of the authorities and it could be used the same as the amber alert. This could be very helpful in finding persons.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
A silver alert is a great idea!

I also hope in the next few years, people can outfit themselves with GPS so that if missing, they can forward the info to police to locate them.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
Thanks boek, for sure Emily did not go anywhere with anyone (willingly that is!). She may have gone against her will though!  She NEVER EVER left her purse if she went somewhere.  There will be activities on Sept 20, 2008, one yr after she went missing.  Activities will be announced and plans to bring in the media.  Must keep the story alive and fresh there.  Also, more searches in the area were conducted on July 16/08.  Some items were obtained to send for forensics testing and the results should be back in 6 months!! or so..... Thanks for the interest. 

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »
It's good that the family is still doing things to keep Emily's disappearance in the public eye. I've been told that it is one of the best tools there is. I guess the police are more likely to remain active on a case where the family keeps on them for updates and such.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »

Hi there raisin pie! Glad to see you back. Emily Osmond seems to have been a private person, someone who doesn't mind her own company.She was independent, had her dogs, and led life on her terms.From what I have read, she was a strong women. She strikes me as very perceptive of any people around her.

I also doubt she would go willingly anywhere without her purse.

You wrote earlier:

She did make reference in a letter, that she started and never mailed, that she felt that someone was watching her and that she was always afraid to be very long in town otherwise someone might come and bother her dogs.  But she was fiercely independent.

I hope she didn't run across a bad guy. If she fell, and was unable to drive, would she call someone?Is there any other missing people at the same time.

Also, did she have any rifles for protection? I have lived in relative isolation for a while, and new every sound outside my cabin, on the Alaska Highway.

Keep on Keeping on, and there are many of us who care deeply. I hope you find peace, and answers to this disappearance.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/RCMP+continue+investigate+suspicious+disappearance+woman+from+Kawacatoose+First+Nation/1976705/story.html

RCMP continue to investigate 'suspicious' disappearance of woman from Kawacatoose First Nationwww.saskcrimestoppers.com.

Osmond is one of 98 historic missing persons cases in Saskatchewan profiled on the police website www.sacp.ca

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:18 AM »
he was last seen by her hired helper on Sept. 9, 2007

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 07:30:38 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/09/21/2210909-sask-cold-case-osmond.html#socialcomments

Peaceful woman's disappearance a mystery
No clues to where 'loving, giving woman' went

Last Updated: Monday, September 21, 2009

Emily Osmond disappeared Sept. 9, 2007. (RCMP)Emily Osmond worked hard throughout her long life, eventually returning to her roots to live off the land at Kawacatoose First Nation, about 25 kilometres north of Quinton, Sask.
Then, two years ago this month, Osmond, 78, vanished without a trace.

Her disappearance has confounded police and family members.

The last person to see Emily was a man who helped her chop wood on Sept. 9, 2007.

Onthe calendar she used to keep track of her medication, the days were marked off until Sept. 13, four days after she was last seen.

Her family reported her missing a week later.

Saskatchewan RCMP Sgt. James Morton said there have been no leads to indicate foul play, nor any sign of a struggle on her land where she lived happily in a shack without running water or electricity.

"She didn't keep money in her house at all," Morton said. "She had no enemies that we know of and she kept basically to herself.

"So there's no reason for anyone to want to hurt her. Nothing seemed to be missing, none of [her] prescriptions, so this one is really strange."

Searches turn up nothing
Extensive, but fruitless searches were conducted within a 25-kilometre radius of Emily's property, most of it dense bush and sloughs.

Family members were each given a polygraph test, which produced no leads.

A forensic anthropologist tested all the bones on the property, and none were found to be human.

Morton, who has been a police officer for 25 years, said the case is unique.

"It's really difficult to understand what might have happened to her. Emily just disappeared."

Worked as food instructor

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
Where were Emily's dogs??? If she felt she was being watched on her piece of land, why would she stay there. I guess she thought her dogs would protect her, but if she kept them locked up, how could they protect her. She may have had some kind of stroke or something, but how far would she have to go to get a drive out of that area?? It is not likely at 78 that she would wander in the woods by herself. It surely is a mystery for sure. Like you say, someone may have thought she had money in her little home and that was the reason, but why take her???? It sounds so much like Stephanie Stewart case, not a trace of the person, after much searching. Hoping the family gets some answers. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???