Author Topic: Inquiry starts into group home deathPart-time worker found dead in wooded area  (Read 1505 times)

Carol-Lynn

November 14, 2007

Inquiry starts into group home deathPart-time worker found dead in wooded area
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

LETHBRIDGE -- A four-day inquiry is underway into the death of a part-time worker who was raped and bludgeoned by a teenage boy she was supervising at a group home in Lethbridge.

Sharla Marie Collier's battered body was discovered in a wooded area near the Oldman River in November 2002.

The 20-year-old had gone for a walk with a 14-year-old group home resident.

The accused pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in adult court in June 2005 and was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for seven years.

The inquiry opened with two case work supervisors testifying about safety procedures for staff, and gave details of events leading up to the fatal assault.

Speaking outside the inquiry, Sharla's mother, Karen Collier, says her daughter was not experienced at working with young people who have fetal alcohol syndrome.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
I am curious, was this a home just for individuals with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or was it for juvenile offenders?  Why is it people assume that people with FAS are violent.  Oftentimes they are not.  Although individuals with FAS have impulse control issues, it is very rare that they are violent.  Just putting it out htere.

Crafty

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
It was for young offenders. I am not sure why the system also assumes that just becasue a person is young that they are not going to be violent. The system did not do much to offer protection for that young ladie doing her job.

I hope this inquiry does help people understand all the issues (like your great point Crafty) related to this.

CraftyGal

• Remember adopt-Don't Shop!
    • View Profile
I definitely agree with you there Des.  Since alot of the group homes, daycares, etc are privatized they get substandard care.  Often people are hired because they will work.  I wonder if checks and balances had been in place this young woman wouldn't have been murdered?  Not blaming the young woman; why was she alone with the young person?  Even in Scouts Canada and Girl Guides, the leaders are not allowed be alone with a child.  It is for everyone protection.

Crafty