Author Topic: Kayla Nichole John ? April 26, 2004 ? Age 13 ? Murdered - Zeballos, BC  (Read 6356 times)

Desespere

Kayla Nichole John
COD:
DOB:
Date found: April 27, 2004
Location found: Zeballos, BC
Date last seen: April 26, 2004
Location last seen: Zeballos, BC
Child

Kayla Nichole John ? April 26, 2004 ? Age 13 ? Murdered - Zeballos, BC ? Kayla was a member of Ehattesaht First Nation was found murdered on Tuesday, April 27, 2004.
Kayla, described as a studious girl who chose to attend weekly Bible studies instead of hanging out with the partying crowd, was reported missing Monday about 11:30 p.m.
Members of her band, the Ehattesaht First Nation, friends, and family began a search and by Tuesday at 2 p.m., her body was found in a wooded area near her family's small yellow trailer. Kayla lived there with her mother, two sisters, aged eight and 15, and her 18-year-old brother.
"Everyone loved Kayla," said friend Joy Myers. "When I first met her four years ago, there was this total trust. She was just so sweet. She would keep people out of trouble. She never did drugs or alcohol. In this town that is a major accomplishment." Kayla's aunt Cheri Smith said Kayla loved to dance and would always offer to help with cleaning or babysitting. "You'd swear she was 18, already grown up but innocent at the same time," she said.
Niece Candace Harry, 17, said Kayla used to watch out for "us kids who did party. "She'd worry and wonder where you were. No one had anything against her."
Smith said Kayla attended a weekly Bible session, and in the summers went to a nearby Christian youth camp. She said Kayla took her schoolwork seriously and always insisted on going to bed by 8 p.m. so she would be fresh for school the next day.
Monica Brawn said even though she is older than Kayla, she asked her to be her bridesmaid because she considered her a good friend. "We'd talk when I was upset. She was a person who was always there for you. A very positive person," said Brawn. She said the last time she saw Kayla was Sunday afternoon, when they got together to plant flowers at Brawn's house.
"I remember thinking how angelic she was," said Myers, who was also there. "She was walking towards me with the sun on her back and I remember thinking it looked like she had angel wings."
In the statement, Kayla's father Simon wrote: "Let her spirit live on with everyone who knew her. Kayla John was a sweet, innocent daughter, niece, granddaughter, sister and friend. She was a drug- and alcohol-free youth that the younger ones looked up to. She looked up to our Creator. She was always willing to lend a helping hand where help was needed."

Edited to add link where the above information was gathered
http://missingnativewomen.ca/bc2.html?PHPSESSID=cdfb6f428a2814a12b8995045d98479f

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:08:43 PM by Desespere »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Kayla Nichole John ? April 26, 2004 ? Age 13 ? Murdered - Zeballos, BC
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
WHat a horrible crime!!! How come we have never heard of this before? I read news daily and I never once remember hearing a peep about this case. How sad, it is amazing no one has been caught for it yet.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:04:15 AM »
From Kindheart

She was 16. Kayla John, 13, murdered in Zeballos, BC

This crime was solved George Osmond,was charged with the death a while back.

More recent news:

Zeballos man convicted of killing girl wins retrial
Court of Appeal rules 'unsophisticated' accused denied his right to consult with a lawyer

Richard Watts, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, October 02, 2007

George Roswell Osmond, convicted of killing a 13-year-old girl in Zeballos, has won a new trial after a successful appeal that is causing legal ramifications provincewide.

In a unanimous three-way decision released yesterday, the B.C. Court of Appeal ruled Osmond had been denied his rights to consult with a lawyer when interrogated by police. The court said the standard, two- to four-minute telephone call to a lawyer hired on contract, was inadequate.

"Here is a young, unsophisticated accused in custody with the benefit of a two-minute phone call, put against a skilled interrogator lawfully entitled to persuade him to ignore the lawyer's advice," wrote Justice Ian Donald, for the Court of Appeal. "He was hopelessly outmatched."
George Roswell Osmond being led away from court after being charged.View Larger Image View Larger Image
George Roswell Osmond being led away from court after being charged.

Osmond was convicted at the age of 22 in December 2005 of first-degree murder and sexual assault of 13-year-old Kayla John, a member of the Ehattesaht First Nation. Osmond was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

It was a case that horrified the mostly First Nation community of 265 people on northwest Vancouver Island. Kayla's body was found hidden in a shallow grave behind her home on April 27, 2004, after being reported missing the day before. Medical testimony at trial revealed she had been beaten, strangled and stabbed. Some evidence of sexual injuries was also present.

Osmond was arrested on May 14, 2005, and taken to the Courtenay RCMP station where he was questioned by police after being granted a two-minute telephone call to a lawyer, part of a service offered by the Legal Services Society of B.C.

The Appeal Court's criticism of the telephone service supplied to Osmond has already prompted a review by the Legal Services Society.

Mark Benton, executive director of the B.C. Legal Services Society, said in a telephone interview the service and yesterday's appeals court decision will be examined to make sure the service is functioning well.

"If it's not (working well) we'll be making changes," said Benton.

Before Osmond's trial began, Victoria lawyer Robert Mulligan was making motions to throw out the results of the interrogation based on the lack of legal assistance offered by the phone service. Mulligan's motion failed with the trial judge but was granted on appeal.

The Appeal Court zeroed in on the adequacy of the telephone service, dubbed the "Brydges Line," after the Supreme Court of Canada case which articulated the need for people accused of a crime to get telephone access to a lawyer.

It was a toll-free number, dialed by police and put through to Osmond in the room he was being held. The lawyer advised silence, and told him not to speak with anyone, not even someone in the cell with him.

Testifying at the pre-trial motion, the phone-in lawyer said he kept all his advice short, two to four minutes, and simple; Don't speak to police or anybody in cells.

"It's quite simple. And in one sense, there's no difference between murder and shoplifting," said the lawyer.

The lawyer also testified he took the call at his home in Abbotsford during a 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. shift in which, on average, he took 44 calls.
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=5e164b41-dceb-4490-a2bc-8a0d4e712800

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:04:28 AM »
Thanks Kindheart

ConcernedCitizen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
After joining & reading this forum for one year, I am still trying to catch up
on all the posts on here..... I was trying to find Info. on a News Clipping from
Vanc. Island I have saved since 2008 and came across Kayla Nichole John's
site.
Now I am wondering (the same as my 2008) article....
What have been the updates/convictions???? since then.

cc
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:49:24 AM by debbiec »

Angela Ellis

• Webmaster/Founder of www.nampn.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/16/kayla-john-dead-supreme-court-appeal-zeballos_n_3285405.html

Kayla John Dead: Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal In Murder Of Zeballos Teen
CP  |  By The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear an appeal from a man convicted twice in the 2004 beating death of a 13-year-old Vancouver Island girl.

George Osmond is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years for the murder of Kayla John of Zeballos, B.C.

His first conviction was overturned on appeal because he wasn't given proper access to a lawyer.

He was retried and convicted again in 2009.

Testimony showed the girl was sexually assaulted and beaten to death in her own bed.

As usual, the court gave no reasons for refusing to hear the appeal.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the update Angela.

ConcernedCitizen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:16:54 AM »
Thank you Angela for the Update on Kayla John & the Conviction of George Roswell Osmond 25 year sentence...that's good... But not enough in my eyes.

I had another thought, in his defense I read he thought he was in bed with
Kayla's Sister, well if I remember she was only one year older, wouldn't that
make her 14. Would this not still have been a charge to him as he was six years
older, even if he did not murder her?

There are conflicting ages I think for both girls, probably quoted from
different sources.

I may have some of the years mixed up for having sex with a teenager,
even if it's consensual, when there is a bigger difference in ages...
Or maybe it is only if they are 14 and under.

Otherwise he maybe could be charged with Statutory Rape had it been
Kayla's Sister.

They keep changing the Laws & it's hard to keep up to them all the time.
------

cc
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:50:38 AM by debbiec »