Author Topic: Barbara Stoppel - Unsolved Murder (Winnipeg 1980)  (Read 39655 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Stoppel - Unsolved Murder (Winnipeg 1980)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Actually Sap; I've read several articles upset with the shoddy police work in this case.

SAP

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
While that journalists blog paints a bad picture of the police, they were doing what was customary back in the day. The journalist has parsed and snipped to suit himself and like minded. I wouldn't call what the police back then did ... collaborating. Under pressure of convicting for rape and murder, it was common to use informants. DNA testing wasn't in use. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2000/06/09/informants000609.html

The exoneration of Thomas Sophonow for a 1981 murder has renewed calls to stop using jailhouse informants.
"As far as I'm concerned they should never come out of their holes. They shouldn't be used," says Paul Bennett, Sophonow's lawyer.

Sophonow's murder conviction was bolstered by Douglas Martin, an informant who claimed he heard Sophonow confess to the murder of 16-year-old Barbara Stoppel in Winnipeg.

An emotional Thomas Sophonow after his exoneration

In 1985, the Manitoba Court of Appeal said Martin's evidence should not have been allowed and acquitted Sophonow.
But it wasn't until Thursday that Winnipeg police apologized and cleared Sophonow of the murder. Sophonow had endured three criminal trials and four years in jail.

RELATED: DNA test clears Winnipeg man of old murder
Police say new evidence now points to a new suspect, so it looks like Martin may have lied. If that's the case, it wouldn't be the first time. Among Martin's 109 convictions, is one for perjury.
Martin earned the nickname "Father Confession" in jail. He claims nine people told him of murders they committed, including Shannon Murrin.

Murrin was later acquitted of killing a Kelowna girl.

"None of the ones that I've been involved in were innocent. I know that. There's only one that's maybe doubtful (but) even Sophonow I still believe that he did that," an unapologetic Martin said in an interview with CBC Radio.

Manitoba Justice Minister Gord MacIntosh says an inquiry into Sophonow's case will scrutinize the use of informants.

Two years ago, former Quebec Justice Minister Fred Kaufman made strong recommendations against prison informants, after probing the wrongful murder conviction of Guy Paul Morin.

Despite this, only Alberta and Ontario have taken any action in limiting the use of informants.

Sophonow knows he won't be the last wrongful conviction in Canada. "There will always be somebody else," he says.

IN DEPTH: Wrongfully Convicted
His lawyer says there must be a total ban on informants to avoid cases like Morin, Murrin and Sophonow.
"Any prosecution anywhere in this country that requires a jailhouse informant to come out and trade on somebody else's soul is not the kind of witness I'd like to have and I'd say it's a suspect prosecution," says Bennett. "Prove your case without them."

http://www.gov.mb.ca/justice/publications/sophonow/intro/therole.html

Excerpt:
In the course of this report, it will be necessary for me to criticize the unfortunate acts and omissions of some members of the Winnipeg Police Service. That criticism is limited to this case and should not be taken as directed to either the police in general or this force in particular.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:32:48 PM by SAP »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
Very complex situation with everyone commenting in the dark so to speak. The RCMP turned the rat network loose on Sophonow. The following is an old article
from the American Bar Association - article now removed-
http://mindytran.com/americanbarassociation.htm
In addition to the three jailhouse informants called in the case, police had offers from nine other jailhouse informants, including Terry Arnold, who is currently the prime suspect in the killing, to testify against Sophonow.

you can't say this now a days. Unless of course they have reason!

IN DEPTH: Wrongfully Convicted
His lawyer says there must be a total ban on informants to avoid cases like Morin, Murrin and Sophonow.

Here's Murrin, biggest rat of all posed as being just like
Morin and Sophonow.

Arnold and Sophonow set the stage for Murrin's acquittal. Sophonow was released his conviction publicly blamed on the use of informants. Same informant (Martin) was being used against Murrin in the Mindy Tran trial. Sophonow's lawyer now working for Murrin. Meanwhile Arnold had been arrested and tried for the murder of Christine Brown. He was found guilty and connections to Barb Stopell's murder were being voiced all over the news. Murrin was acquitted and shortly after charges were stayed against Arnold and he too was released on a technicality.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:21:03 AM by D1 »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
That about says it all D:  some people just can't handle taking their heads out of the sand on this however.... it's too much to bear and changes a person's life for good!  That is why folks like you and I are met with doubt an opposition..... It's that simple!  and you and I both know the stress and pain of having our lives impacted for good by police, RCMP, and government corruption.

As least we have our eyes open ... albeit.. the hard way!  others still have to learn the same way I suppose; so they deserve our pity (as we would not like to see anybody suffer what we know) 

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
Actually Sap; I for one don't think you lean "heavily' toward cops.  ...wasn't even thinking of you in my last post. I think you are quite fair in fact!  ..and I do apologize to those who know respectful police, and those who admire them. 

That being said Sap... I too, know decent police officers here where I live.  But for the life of me, I don't know how they can go to sleep at night knowing that some of the members intergrated into our local force after "amalgamation" were part and parcel of my nephew's murder ... and covering it up.

I don't think the well-known, unwritten Brother's Code in the massive Police Union excuses their turning a "blind eye" to what they know is fact.  So often when my brother carries his sign through town or elsewhere, there are cops who drive by, slow down, and give him a "thumbs up"... or blow their horn to get his attention ..then give him a kindly wave.  That is all very well, and very admirable because other people see this too ... inadvertently bringing support to "our cause in Justice For Clayton".   ....But, the fact remains, police like doctors, are responsible for, and directly affect life and death situations.  ...there's no place in these professions for politics supporting their fellow union members when they are corrupt.  The bottom line is:  if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!! .... and that my friend is where my animosity toward police comes from. 

Again Sap... I apologize greatly if this offends you.  You are certainly one of the good ones commenting in the hundreds of cases needing justice.... and of course this form is a thorn in the side of police.  It exposes so much.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:05:51 AM by lostlinganer »

Mamabear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Hi there, new here.   I just wanted to say that me and my brother have different dads, his is Tom Sophonow.  He was wrongfully convicted is innocent of the crime he served four years for.  Looks like Terry Arnold did it,  also he had a motive!   First rule of murder suspect investigation MOTIVE! 
    With that said,  I hope your sleuthing can be best used on cases that have yet to find a suspect.  Thank you and keep up the honorable work.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
Perhaps there is no way to deal with situations like what happened with your brother mamabear. Its not like no one knows what happened and who the true suspect is. Why they wouldn't go after T. Arnold with equal veracity seems a question that will never be answered. Will take the advice
thnx..

wellwell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Today I stumbled upon this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rod

"The Black Rod for the Senate of Canada is well known in the Canadian public. The Legislatures of Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Alberta, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island have also incorporated Black Rods into their respective parliamentary systems."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usher_of_the_Black_Rod_(Canada)

i had been thinking of the Black Rod blog, which was insistent that Thomas Sophonow (not Terry Arnold) was responsible for the murder of Barbara Stoppel. The Black Rod blog notes their name deriving from British parliament.

This article mentions that DNA evidence from the Denise Lapierre murder in Calgary was sent to British experts (aka Scotland Yard) for analysis. Terry Arnold was the prime suspect in that 1987 murder. Calgary police had taken a DNA sample from Terry Arnold a couple of days before his (should I say alleged?) suicide.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/police-have-new-suspect-in-1981-death/article25464685/

"Two years ago, Calgary police disclosed that Mr. Arnold was a suspect in the 1987 murder of 17-year-old Denise Lapierre. Her body was found less than a block from Mr. Arnold's Calgary home and police are hoping sophisticated British DNA tests might help solve the case."

Anyways, FWIW, there are these British references connected to Terry Arnold.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:47:34 PM by wellwell »