Author Topic: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998  (Read 50043 times)

GrailKnight7.5

Re: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
Here's a picture looking down the hydro line where Jake would have crossed it. You can see what I believe to be 6th Street in Midland.

I'm wondering if Jake wouldn't have chosen to take this route back to town in the middle of the night instead of sticking to the dark bike trail.

MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2011, 08:50:29 AM »
That is quite possible, Grail, and good thinking...... these are my thoughts on Jake's disappearance.

At the party, Jake & his friends were smashing beer bottles off their heads, and I think that, mixed with the amount of alcohol they drank, caused him to pass out in the bush on his way into town. I'm thinking maybe he was getting the spins, got disoriented and decided to sit or lay down to rest, and never got back up again, due to a likely concussion. The area was searched quite thoroughly, but if he got off track during his walk, he could have ended up in a an area that wasn't even searched. Another possibility in my mind is the quicksand that is known to be back there. If I remember correctly, I believe the ravine was drained and searched, but there isn't really a way to search quicksand, as far as I know anyway. You would have to dig up half the forest to check it all. I wish all the luck to Jake's Mom, in her search for Jake. I can't imagine how I would feel if that were my son, or brother, or anyone in my family for that matter. To go this long without answers is undoubtedly painful.  :-\

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
I think that too, MissB.   

GrailKnight7.5

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
I might double-check the hillside where I saw no clear trail and where Jake could have gotten dizzy going downhill and around trees and been hidden where he fell. Once on the wide bike trail, it would be hard to fall where he wouldn't be easily found.

At least, if Jake took the hydro line he would be heading toward the reservoir and presumably the swamps and quicksand, which would have made it more difficult for the searchers and the cadaver dogs.

However, the hydro line also leads out to a strip joint. If you go to Vindin Street on Google Maps street view, you can see Perky's, an adult entertainment bar, right across from where the hydro line comes out. And Oct. 30, 1998, was a Friday night. Possibly one of the many hazards he might still have to face walking through town alone after midnight.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
I really, really think Jake is in there somewhere.  This area just goes on and on into more and more bush.   Jake was probably in such rough shape, he may have passed out, woke up...walked a bit, passed out, woke up and just kept getting colder and more confused and more lost. 
It is very easy to miss clues.  In the forest the leaves become so thick on the ground at this time of year.

MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
Now, don't quote me, cause im not sure how true this is, and you know how rumours fly in cases like this. But they say every detail counts, no matter how irrelevant it may seem.

Anyway, I was told at some point, that Psychic Sylvia Brown was contacted in this case, and from what I was told, she was seeing a building, next to water. This doesn't narrow it down by much, since Midland/Penetang sits on Georgian Bay, but apparently she described the building she was seeing. So im thinking, based on where he was and where he was headed, I feel he is somewhere in the facinity of the ravine, as there is a small shed-like building very close to it. Just my thoughts, of course. As stated in previous post, it is all swampy, and quicksand ridden out there, so next to impossible to search. Not everyone believes in such things as psychics, but I for one, do. I dont believe all who claim they are, but I truly believe there are people out there that are blessed with the gift. Sadly though, there are others to just try to extort money from people. I just really hope he is found, someday. :(

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
Leaves would have been falling at that time of year...easily covering any clues.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »
So I was on a trip to Orillia this weekend so I decided to check out Midland and this wooded area and let me say that is it is hard enough to navigate in the day, I can't imagine doing it at night, drunk. It would be very easy to get disoriented/ fall. With that in mind Jake probably knew the area and was more "woods" oriented than myself, but still, my husband wouldn't venture far in not wanting to get disoriented or fall in the mud, still no idea what would've happened it was a bit cold to thouroughly search and as I said hard for an outsider to navigate.

JustAnotherNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
*Let's try this again and hope it ends up in the right spot this time...

Heya Everyone,

I've read the thread through, actually glad there are still people actively looking for a resolution. Jake was a classmate of mine and when he went missing it seemed like one more tragedy for a generation of students that had already buried dozens of their friends due to DUI fatalities...

I know that the bottle smashing has been refuted and questioned endlessly, so I thought I might build a picture of what life in Penetang/Midland was like. I'll also explain our affinity with the bush and the stupid things we all did at that age. Though Jake wasn't a personal friend of mine, he was a good guy.

Back in the 90's there was essentially three things you could preoccupy yourself with in our area: 1) drink 2) do drugs 3a) have sex 3b) commit petty crimes

The pool halls were reserved for the 19's and over and the shops didn't like kids standing anywhere close to their businesses in groups even if you had purchased something. Midland had the only youth club (not always open) and if you were caught near the parks after dark the cops were moving you on. There was very little to legally do.

Most of us attended bush parties. These would occur either between Penetang and Golf Link Road or down by the Rail Road tracks in Midland (most of the rail tracks has since been removed). There were a certain amount of sites and the weekend before the party the site location was called and we'd all head out there after dark. It's a very rural place. We were all familiar with our best short cuts and quickest ways around.

Smashing beer bottles against your head was a pretty common show of bravo, as was crushing cans in the same fashion.

One of my friends when I was a teenager walked home from the 12th Concession in the middle of the night because he was THAT drunk and THAT full of bright ideas.

I myself used to walk or bike between Midland and Penetang as a teenager via Fuller by myself at night when my parents didn't know what I was up to (sometimes taking the shortcut bush path by St. Louis or cutting through the industrial area) . Did I know it was dangerous, yes (there's a maximum security mental hospital at the end of the road). Did I care, no (I was too high or drunk and didn't want to get in trouble for coming home late).

That area he was walking through is one area I never dared to walk through due to the quick sand. It's also why the land can't be sold off to developers as it is a prime piece of land for waterfront developments as Midland has been developing much of the waterfront over the last couple of decades. And if it does get sold eventually and developed there will be even less chance of finding Jake if he's in there as the only way to deal with land like that is to cover it in as much gravel and fill as possible to achieve a stable surface. There's a handful of houses that have been abandoned in the past of the waterfront areas of Penetang/Midland due to this type of ground as the developers thought they were stable only to watch the houses slowly start to slant and sink a year or two in.

You can escape quicksand by being calm yes. Drunk to the point where a shortcut is considered a good idea with a gash on your head doesn't strike me as any state to stay calm in. And the backpack only would have worked against him. If he fell victim to the terrain, which I greatly believe he did, it would have erased all trace of him.

And in October/November as well, the bushes go into die back. So if he did break any branches or disturb anything, it would be hard to tell as everything is dying back that time of year and areas like that suffer from heavy natural decomposition. So there is already a large amount of debris and damaged woodland naturally happening all over the place. With no green shoots and fresh grows and so many fallen leaves, it's hard to tell if something's been trodden on.

Draining the area is a great idea but near impossible to be honest. The entire area would have to be cleared out then gone over with sonar. It would have to be a remote sonar device and a very light one or they will risk losing it as well. The leaf litter disguises the bad patches and if you take a step into it, you are quickly off balanced (like thinking the second last step is the final one before you reach the landing if you've ever had that happen). If you're in your right mind, hopefully your other foot is on solid ground and you grab a tree and pull yourself back. If you're under the influence, your body continues forward and you land face first in it.

Just thought I'd post something fresh and see if everyone's still out there. Lack of closer for families is worst then death. Hopefully I gave you a little insight that might help.

Take care

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Hi, JustAnotherNobody....Your description of the area where Jake went missing, strengthens my belief that is exactly where he is, somewhere in that "shortcut", unfortunately.
It is very sad to think Jake's family and friends might never get his body back.

never_lose_hope

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
Thanks for that JustAnotherNobody, the area freaked me out when I went into it and that was during the day, I was too afraid to venture deep knowing about the quicksand from posts, I can't imagine it at night :(

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
**** Just noticed that there was a thread for Jake. Sorry about that Debbiec, can we have this thread merged with the original (Sorry for the trouble, my first search didn't show Jake had a thread) **** The original thread is: http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=1126.msg104276#msg104276

This is a post from October 18, 2013, however I noticed we didn't have a thread on Jake.

Monday, October 28, 2013
Reward In Disappearance Case

Midland | by Catherine Thompson 
Ontario offers $50,000 reward for informaton in disappearance of Jake Just.

Tuesday marks a sad anniversary in Midland.

It has been 15 years since Jake Just disappeared.

He was last seen on October 30, 1998 walking home from a house party in the north end of town.

Police say he decided to take a short cut through a wooded area and hasn't been seen since.

He was just 18.

The provincial government is offering a 50 thousand dollar reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.

If you have any information, police would like to hear from you. 

http://www.977thebeach.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=61293

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
No problem, I've merged the two threads now Concerned.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »
Why would anyone venture into those mysterious places in the first place. If you were afraid there in the day time, imagine what it would be like at night and being under the influence of alcohol. It seems there are different threads on here of young people who went missing, all in the name of a party in the wilderness. I can think of three or four on here and they've never been found. Sad, but true. If young people want to get together, do it properly and safely.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Jake decided to cut through that bush as kind of a shortcut home from the party, his buddy didn't follow and stayed on the road/sidewalk, and expected to meet Jake on the other side of the bush.....he never came out.