Author Topic: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998  (Read 48997 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »
ty, debbiec.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Jake decided to cut through that bush as kind of a shortcut home from the party, his buddy didn't follow and stayed on the road/sidewalk, and expected to meet Jake on the other side of the bush.....he never came out.
Many times we have heard the same thing, many times. You can get lost in a heartbeat in the woods, even in the day time. I know last year the police were chasing someone and the accused went in the woods, this was in the night and it was a mountainous area. Get this, the policeman got lost. We had the scanner on and listened, well we found it humorous. The officer had a radio with him, so he told the cruiser that he couldn't find his way out. The cruiser put the lights and siren on and the lost officer found his way. No way should anyone go any shortcuts in the woods, stay the safe route. That is how quickly you can get lost. So sad that a night of fun, turned into a night of tragedy.

Midlandmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »
Hi everyone.
I was reading through the posts on Jake Just and thought I'd chime in, as I can clear up a few things on the geography here.  I own some acreage on Vindin St. that is roughly a km or less from where Jake allegedly entered the forest.  First off, the area is at the bottom of a valley, and has extremely sandy soil, that tends to get boggier the deeper you enter the forest.  There IS quicksand.  There are tons of natural springs that seep water and make the sand very unstable.  My neighbours kid showed me how he could push a 6 foot branch down where the water came up out of the sand, and it completely disappeared as he pushed it down.  90% of that swathe of forest is privately owned, so there is no hunting.  There are some safe, well worn paths through the area, but it is not commonly used, other than hikers or 4 wheelers or sledders.  Trying to go off the path can be next to impossible in some areas just because of the thickness of the brush.  And because the area is on the outskirts of town, it is BLACK in the forest at night.  It's very easy to get turned around at night.  And as far as wildlife, I know for a fact there are  coyotes, foxes, and at least one bear, living in that forest.  There is a chance that if Jake got turned around, he could have very well ended up on my property.  I look for him every time I go out :(
We moved to Midland about 6 years ago, and unfortunately the first story I heard was about Jake Just.  People here still remember this very well.  His memory lives on in Midland

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2016, 09:23:13 PM »
I can't help but wonder why an 18 year old would take a short cut through an unlit forest.
Jake lived in that area and no doubt knew that it was full of swamp and quick sand.
Going through there in the day light -yes, but night time - never

I just can't see it. I know that kids take risks, especially when drinking,  but not that kind!! I raised two sons and at times they took risks, but I am sure they would have taken the extra steps needed (the long way)to get home. Jake supposedly  had a buddy to walk with.to lean on one another, if that drunk.....so why take the risk to go through the forest?

Perhaps his friend  left the party first with a view to meet him, and something happened to Jake at that party??

When the police say "someone knows something" they mean it.

I may be alone on this, but I have never bought into the story. just my feelings on the matter.

JB
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:41:14 PM by jellybean »