Author Topic: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998  (Read 50208 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
I'm sure everything was searched over and over.

Edsonmom

• View Profile

Bucke B

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »
I'm sure everything was searched over and over.
Uh why do you say that?

MissB

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
I participated in the search for Jake in the woods. It was heart-wrenching and un-nerving. I never had the pleasure of ever meeting Jake, but I wanted to be there to help. Friends of mine new Jake, so I wanted to be there for them as well. There have been many possible stories about where Jake could be. I dont know about the quicksand, but I know that the resevoirs were definitely searched. To be honest, I didnt even know there was quicksand out there, until then. And yes, the smashing of the beer bottles on their heads, was that evening. Something that alot of teens were doing at that time, and sadly some probably still are. Any of these possibilities could be true, and I hope for Debbie Just & her Family to one day get answers to this heartbreaking mystery. If he has passed, may he RIP and know how much he is loved & missed!! :)

Mom

• I will always protect my child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
New search related to Jake Just case

Police employ latest technology; search not related to new information in 12-year-old case
http://www.simcoe.com/news/police/article/907922

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »
It doesn't appear that the case number was ever posted on this thread. Thought I would add it. I know as time goes by that it is harder to solve cases. But one thing comes to mind when reviewing missing posts on LE sites. It would probably be helpful to have more information posted so people's memories could be jogged. I tried to get more information on what the situation was, and if it wasn't for the preserved stories here, I would have no understanding. Could that make it even harder years later to get the case solved?  Not having much information? It's a known fact that LE will keep some pieces of the puzzle to themselves to weed out the curious that no nothing...but after a time, some of those facts, just may be the information that someone needs to contribute. IMO

Jake Nicholas Just
Submitted by admin on Tue, 07/31/2007 - 15:29. Missing Person

The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST of MIDLAND, Ontario.

DESCRIPTION:

DOB: December 15, 1979
HEIGHT: 6ft 2in
WEIGHT: 170 lbs.
HAIR: Blonde
EYES: Green
RACE: Caucasian

CLOTHING: Last seen wearing an olive green and beige coloured long sleeve T-shirt, black D.V.S. running shoes, size 11, and carrying a black knapsack, brand name Jaguar.

CASE #: 955-10-122-99

If you have seen Jake JUST or know any information about his whereabouts, please contact us, your local police service or CrimeStoppers.

http://www.police.midland.on.ca/node/28

Buble

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
"Obviously that's a very difficult area to search," Rettinger said. "It was at the time (of Just's disappearance) and it still exists the same way today. It's such a terrible area there, in terms of being thick foliage." Jim Rettinger
http://www.midlandfreepress.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2858652
This next page has pictures of the search and you can see what the Staff Sargeant is talking about with regard to the dense brush.
http://www.simcoe.com/news/police/article/907922--new-search-related-to-jake-just-case

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »
I am sure that if they could keep searching, they would find Jake in that bush.  Possibly in one of the reservoirs, or, in my thinking, the quicksand.   That is why there has been no trace of him.

He could have laid down....never to arise again.
I believe a combination of booze and the hitting on the head with bottles probably left him too impaired.   And same with his buddy.   When they had a difference of opinion which way to go home, it doesn't strike me odd that they parted ways.   Some guys are like that when inebriated.   Not too concerned with their buddy, just themself.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »
I have read the whole thread, and as an outsider on the Topic of Jake Just, I agree with you Jobo.  Disorientated from booze, plus the hitting on his head with  bottles. He could have collapsed in the woods, and perhaps his remains may some day be found, and perhaps never be located.  As the mother said Jake would not want her to suffer. If his loved ones and family lean towards this theory, (lost in the woods) then perhaps that wooded area could be named in his honor with a plaque. As you know when we pass on, we will have a resting place,  with a headstone, etc, in some crowded cemetary someplace,  where the survivors have to battle traffic to get to, Eventually the headstones fade and those under them are forgotten.  But woods!!  Where the birds sing, and wild flowers grow,  a very natural and beautiful restful place for his soul.

Peace
JB

Buble

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
The 300 by 700 foot section that was searched in November is only a section of the wooded area but I believe it's in his general, intended direction of travel from Sunnyside to his house in Midland. However he could have gotten seriously lost before succumbing.
I am sure that if they could keep searching, they would find Jake in that bush.  Possibly in one of the reservoirs, or, in my thinking, the quicksand.   That is why there has been no trace of him.
He might also be in an area that remains unsearched for whatever reason.
"The search area was a nasty stretch of geography which posed significant challenges even to the professionals. There were questions about the marshy areas - was it all searched?..." said Rettinger.

"At ground level, while searching for footprints and broken brush, they would have found something. There were areas they could not get into that received an aerial search flyover. It is difficult to look and see everything on the information from original searches. We will put it all together into one document and if we see [or] find anything worthwhile doing over again or looking at again, and then we will re-assess that part of the investigation. The review may also show that certain areas have been exhausted and there is nothing more we can do."

At the time, Rettinger says fire, police and every resource available was used followed by searches by neighbours and friends over the same ground until the snow came. The area was marked with tape using a grid pattern on the trees so that no areas were missed.
http://s10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t40166.htm
This link discusses the participation of psychics.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:02:00 PM by Buble »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
Thanks for that ariel view of the area Buble.   Wow....lots of dense bush alright...a "nasty stretch of geography" makes me understand.   At first I didn't understand that the searchers would not notice broken branches and bushes.   But maybe, as Jake stumbling through them, they were pliable enough that they just sprung back.   I think they will unless you actually try to break them. 

Is this map showing us that Jake should have cut diagonally across the bush to the sub-division?   If that is the case, then Jake, in his impaired state, could have not quite kept on the path due to the fact he was stumbling and getting disoriented.   He may have stopped to relieve himself...had a bit of a dilemna....got his direction turned around at that point and just headed in the wrong way.   And then got tired.    Just needed to rest for a bit.  But it was October 31...I don't know exactly what the weather was that night, but I will bet it was near freezing, or below.   Nights are usually damp which makes it feel colder than it really is.  Halloween night, the kids are usually wearing mitts, and coats under their costumes.    If Jake didn't have a coat on he would have a hard time surviving the cold.   I wish they could have scoured more of that huge area.  From what they are saying about the terrain, I understand it is so hard to, but I wish there was a way.

Buble

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
Yes, jobo. It looks to me like Jake intended to cut across diagonally, south-south-east, across the bush to get to his home. Police seem to think so too.

It seems to me, from the quote below from the link above, that the police originally concentrated on this same one area and yellow-taped it and volunteers searched outside.
Rettinger said the original searches involved intensive land and water searches from scouring the bush areas of Sunny Side where Jake was last seen...volunteer, neighbours and friends searched the outlying perimeters of the police search zone. Inside the yellow tapes cadaver and live search canines sniffed their way through every possible area they could access.

How thorough could that be? I assumed the police organized a search of all the area between the five bordering roads. Because, if Jake went in and didn't come out, he's anywhere within that boundary. It should have been systematically searched. It still should be.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 07:17:42 AM »
I totally agree that they should continue to search, since they do have a likely area to check.   I really cannot believe that they haven't found anything in this area.  They did bring in the dogs....nothing.   I am sorry to say, but I am leaning towards Jake ending up in Quicksand....which I didn't even know existed in Ontario, until reading this thread.
  I wonder what means the searchers have for checking quicksand....or how much there is in there?

Buble

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
Quicksand would not have immediately swallowed him up without a trace and he would have floated in the reservoir.

The dogs appear to only have been used in the police search area....

...Midland Police Service, covered an area spanning about 300 metres by 700 metres, noted Midland police Staff Sgt. Jim Rettinger, who took the original call in 1998....

Rettinger noted officers conducted an eight-day ground search in the same area during the original investigation as long as we feel we need to.
http://www.simcoe.com/news/police/article/907922--new-search-related-to-jake-just-case

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:57:59 PM by Buble »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:33 AM »
I read up about quicksand...and it depends how deep it is.   I read that if quicksand is say, waist deep and if you went in over your knees the weight of the quicksand would make it difficult to escape.   As long as you keep a cool head and don't go in too deep, you should be able to escape.  The more a person panicks, the more they sink.   By raising your legs slowly, and laying on your back, you cannot sink down.  And, if you were relaxed, you would float.

I hate to say it, but bodies have been missed on these searches.