Author Topic: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998  (Read 50055 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:40:42 PM »
Jake is described as a white male, 6'2", 170 lbs. with blonde hair and green eyes. At the time of his disappearance Jake was wearing an olive green/beige long sleeve T-shirt, black DVS (size 11) running shoes, and was carrying a black "Jaguar" brand knapsack.

The circumstances surrounding Jake's disappearance remain a mystery and the OPP continues its investigation. In 2006, the OPP released an age-enhanced photograph of Jake that was created with the assistance of the RCMP.

The province is offering a reward in the amount of $50,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible in his disappearance. The Ontario Provincial Police is asking anyone with information about his disappearance to contact the Director of the Criminal Investigations Branch at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, or the nearest police authority.

A strictly anonymous report can be made through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Im_new_here2

Re: Jake Just | 18 | Midland | Missing October 30, 1998
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
Hey I remember this case very well ,I freequently check the OPP website of missing or wanted unidentifeid hey u never know right.But this case stuck if you ever get a chance to look at his picture u might see why he just has one of those faces u dont forget but i recently seen this case on court tv canada i didnt know all the details and after i heard them soomething really dont seem right he was at a party left i forget what time 1 am around he was with his best freind they came to a trail as they were heading home and jake wanted to take the trail his friend took the road and the freind made it home jake didnt he was reported missing at noon the next day and the freind took the police back to the trail and there was no sighn of jake now midland is a small town maybe 3000 people and since he went missing a cloud of suspission has been over the freind so he was on the whole show talking about how he loved his freind and would never do anything like that to his best freind..One thing to note is the freind is maybe 130 pounds soaken wet maybe 5 foot 6 and jake was a very very big lad even at 16 i think was the age however stranger things have happend but to me i found it strange that there wasnt any sighn of jake in that bush or on that trail which they took all the time and that to me says that he prolly didnt even make it to the trail or maybe even out of the house where the party was but the real reason i mention this case is the theory that the police have pretty much closed this case on and that is that the night jake went down that trail he was drinking and stumbled in to the bush passed out and with out realizing it fell in to a patch of quick sand which laimed his life and any sighn of jake .Too me that just sounds absolutlly rediculious maybe its just me but i thought that stuff only happened in the movies i really dont think thats a plossable scenario and the midland police need to do some more interviews..JMO

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:59:44 PM »
I have read many times about a drunk person who leaves a party and ends up commiting suicide. It is possible he did that. I do not think his pal is guilty of anything. He also could have gotten himself in trouble by doing something that drunk people do.

I am not familiar with that town, but they all have hazzards. I just feel bad for the mother not knowing.

Im_new_here2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:19:32 PM »
Hey Chris .. On the tv show i watched from the days weeks months prior to this there was lots of video tape of jake and his mother and sister and if you had of seen the videos i just dont think suicide is plosible is this young mans life .Also If he did i mean that little trail with a bush surounding it thats just what it was a bush not like a densce area and i think had he committed suicide u would have found his clothes knapsack ..JMO

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
Good points. I think though being drunk can affect some people to the point of depression and maybe he had a rash thought.

Either that, or someone targeted him specificically and made sure no trace of him was ever found.

Im_new_here2

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »
Hey Chris... Have you been able to see Jake's picture yet ?..i know its on the Opp link of missing people why i ask is like i said earlier this guys face for some reason is one you will not forget maybe its just me .Maybe i feel that because i played hockey in midland all my life but honestly when i look at these pics of missing people theres only a very few i think i would recognise out in public somewhere..but this guy i could pick him out in canadas wonderland or walt disney world  all those thousands of people walking by but i trully think i could pick him out no problem....take alook at the ontario provincial police website or just opp and look for missing take a look at jake see if u have that same impression i hope its not just me so let me know ..thanks.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
I saw the court TV version of this and my impression was this guy probably made bad choices because he is young and strong. I wonder if he ended up getting himself into trouble.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »
Hi newbie4,
thanks for joining.

There has been lots of cases where otherwise normal, happy guys who have things going on have suddenly commited suicide after drinking a lot. If he got rejected or got in a heated discussion with someone, that booze can ampliyfy negative emotions. It is possible.

Otherwise, if something bad happened to him, it sure is a mystery. Such a small place, something should have turned up somewhere.

I hope this does get solved.

kindheart

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »
His family sure do miss him :'( :'( :'( :'(

Jake Just Fund

Jake Just was a dynamic, outgoing eighteen-year old who loved the outdoors and reading. He went missing in the Fall of 1998 and his disappearance remains a mystery. Jake?s Mom, Debbie, sisters, Jenna and Reyna, father, and grandparents with the help of community, Midland Civitans and police raised funds for information about Jake?s disappearance. A portion of the funds has been placed in trust with the Huronia Communities Foundation to annually support organizations that represent what was important to Jake including the Huronia Museum, Wye Marsh Wildlife Centre and the Midland Public Library.

http://www.huroniacommunities.com/donorstories.html

mauvelilac

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
I was just watching crime files tonight on Court tv and the host Sue (sorry can't spell last name) was interviewing the police and they said they couldn't rule out 1) Jake left on his own 2) he met with an accident like quicksand 3) foul play although the police officer said in cases 2 and 3 that there was no evidence to suggest either had happened such as broken foliage, footprints leading up to the areas of quicksand, whatnot.
It's a real mystery but the police officer noted that in most cases of mysterious disappearances theres at least one person who knows what happened. It's been ten years, I wonder if it ever will be solved.

Tony

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »
Crime Files with Sue Sgambati got me interested in this case and I tend to agree with Chis. I too know a story of a drunk wandering off in the wilderness and getting himself killed. Jake was intoxicated and had some sort of head injury and very little clothing. He was on the north side of town and there's plenty of woods up there from what I could see on the map of Midland.

I found a news video from A-Channel by looking on Altavista, an update on the 8th anniversary, which shows the path into the woods. It looks pretty dense and there's supposed to be two reservoirs and quicksand.
Even with a thousand volunteers over 8 days, you can't say the search was thorough. By comparison, it took 2 days to find Lynn Harper and she was nearby in a woodlot.
Even the cops admit he might have died in the woods. In the absence of an obvious good suspect (and his friend was there to testify nothing happened at the party and was waiting for him on the other side of the woods), I'd say he could have succombed somewhere and never been found.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:14:56 PM by Tony »

mauvelilac

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
That's entirely possible, someone drunk wandering off and in the dense woods being absorbed by quicksand or falling into a reservoir. It's just not what I see. If he indeed was lost in dense brush, in most cases hunters or hikers stumble upon some clue eventually. I say in most cases but I am conceding not all.

If indeed Jake was intoxicated and had some sort of head injury, it was irresponsible for the young man he was with to leave him on his own to venture off in that type of terrain at night. I mean I wouldn't leave a friend in that sort of shape to fend for himself at night in the dark in the bush. Can anyone honestly say they would?

There was 1000 searchers and only 8 days of searches in how many years? You can't cover that type of terrain in 8 days thoroughly. That would virtually be impossible. To do it thoroughly. No wonder some of these missing people are never found.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »
"Can anyone honestly say they would?"  Not sober.  But if Jake was hammered, no doubt his friend was as well.  The last thing anyone should expect from druken kids is responsible actions.  The numerous highway deaths from DUI are proof of that.

There are many interesting angles to this, but I agree - why no evidence that he was there?  Something.  I am sure that the area reservoirs and quicksand pits could be dredged, could they not?

Tony

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
The pits and the reservoirs should have been dredged and every leaf turned because Jake might have gotten lost and lain under some foliage for warmth. Who's to say they didn't miss him in those 8 days of searches. The news did say there were "thousands" of searchers. That could mean just a couple of thousand volunteers. Perhaps they were looking for a body out in the open like a crime scene instead of a hidden one. And it's not like the volunteers were Mantracker.

Jake's friend did say he could have gone to another party instead of meeting up with him on the other side like they were supposed to. That would open up any number of possibilities. But my impression is that it's easy to get lost on that trail.

mauvelilac

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
  I agree Tony that he could have sought warmth in foliage. A person with a head injury would easily suffer shock and disorientation depending on the extent of the injury. At the time of year he went missing hypothermia could easily set in as well. Putting the quicksand and reservoirs aside for the moment, he could have easily gone farther into the woods than was searched and that would account for the lack of footprints. On the other hand if that was the case, a disoriented person stumbling around in foliage late at night is certain to leave some kind of destruction in his wake, I would think.
My concern in these cases is that the police seem to readily accept the accounts of the people last seen
with these individuals and you can't always go on people being truthful. You also can't always take for granted that their memories of the night in question are reliable especially if alcohol is involved.
Has anyone considered the possibility that Jake changed his mind and set back off in another direction? Would the friend waiting at the other end have been able to see him if that was the case?