Author Topic: Ashley Smith | Murder | Oct 2007 | Naicatchewenin (South of Kenora Ontario  (Read 7541 times)

Carol-Lynn

November 1, 2007

Murder in N.W. Ont.
By SUN MEDIA

Police in Northwestern Ontario are trying to find suspects in the slaying of an 18-year-old First Nations woman whose body was discovered in a wooded area on Saturday.

The Treaty Three Police Service in that region confirmed yesterday it's considering the death of Ashley Smith at Naicatchewenin First Nation, about 65 km northwest of Fort Frances, Ont., as a homicide.

However, the force -- which serves nine aboriginal reserves near Fort Frances -- said it's "not prepared to" reveal the way she was killed following an autopsy conducted at Lake of the Woods District Hospital in Kenora.

Ontario Provincial Police are investigating with Treaty Three officers and interviewing residents in and around Naicatchewenin.

Meanwhile, several unspecified items found where the body was located are being sent to Ontario's Centre of Forensic Sciences for examination.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:06:26 AM by Chris »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ashley Smith | Murder | Oct 2007 | Naicatchewenin (South of Kenora Ontario
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »
This is located between Ft Francis and Kenora Ontario.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
From Kindheart

Holy! I live right near here! I did not hear about this at all! Thanks Carol. I will see what i can find and post it.
November 1, 2007

Murder in N.W. Ont.
By SUN MEDIA

Police in Northwestern Ontario are trying to find suspects in the slaying of an 18-year-old First Nations woman whose body was discovered in a wooded area on Saturday.

The Treaty Three Police Service in that region confirmed yesterday it's considering the death of Ashley Smith at Naicatchewenin First Nation, about 65 km northwest of Fort Frances, Ont., as a homicide.

However, the force -- which serves nine aboriginal reserves near Fort Frances -- said it's "not prepared to" reveal the way she was killed following an autopsy conducted at Lake of the Woods District Hospital in Kenora.

Ontario Provincial Police are investigating with Treaty Three officers and interviewing residents in and around Naicatchewenin.

Meanwhile, several unspecified items found where the body was located are being sent to Ontario's Centre of Forensic Sciences for examination.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
I've never been in that area before. But I do know Rainy River is like the praries as it had a grian elevator at one time and is flat and prarie like. But the area around Ft Francis is like Kenora and wooded.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »
From Kindheart

Desespere, you can see where the reserve is by pasting the postal code i sent into Google Earth, or google maps.Terrible news for such a small community!
I will post what i find as it comes in.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
From kindheart

This is all I could find. I will try and keep you all updated, if I hear any new news. ~Kindheart

From the Winnipeg papers.
http://winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/2007/11/01/4621847-sun.html

Local news here.
Police probing teen?s death
Staff
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Treaty #3 Police are continuing an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of an 18-year-old female Naicatchewenin First Nation resident over the weekend.
A post-mortem examination was conducted yesterday at Lake of the Woods District Hospital in Kenora on the body, which was found in a bush area near the main Community Road on Naicatchewenin First Nation during the early-morning hours of Saturday.Her identity was not released by police. The OPP?s Forensic Identification Unit and the Criminal Investigation Branch have been called to assist Treaty #3 Police in the investigation
http://www.fftimes.com/News/Police-probing-teen---s-death/30-Oct-2007

Teen?s death being treated as homicide
Staff
Thursday, November 1, 2007
The Treaty #3 Police Service and OPP are continuing their investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Ashley Smith, 18, of Naicatchewenin First Nation, and are treating the case as a homicide.
Smith?s body was discovered in a wooded area near the main Community Road of Naicatchewenin early Saturday morning.A post-mortem examination was conducted at the Lake of the Wood District Hospital in Kenora on Monday, but police are not prepared to release the cause of death.
Police are continuing to interview community residents in an effort to determine Smith?s movement leading up to the discovery of her body.
Forensic identification officers attended the scene where Smith?s body was found and have seized a number of exhibits, which are being submitted to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for expert examination.
Det. Insp. D.J. Olinyk of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (Kenora) is in charge of the investigation.
http://www.fftimes.com/News/Teen---s-death-being-treated-as-homicide/01-Nov-2007

Here is the bands website.
http://www.naicatcheweninfirstnation.com/index.html

The location can be seen by putting this postal code into Google maps:
Naicatchewenin First Nation
R.R.# 1 Box 15 Devlin ON, P0W 1C0
This is a very small population of 240 people on the reserve with limited public access, because it is off the main roads, and not ?on the way? to anything.
http://www.naicatcheweninfirstnation.com/10.html

I hope they find who did this! My feeling is someone who lives there, just based on how isolated it looks. Most of the band authorities are last named ?Smith?. Also I noticed that this reserves Band Chief Wayne Smith is responsible for Justice for the entire Treaty Three Nation T3 nation.

Justice
Treaty #3 Justice Portfolio Team
Chiefs Responsible for Policing and Justice:
Chief Wayne Smith - Naicatchewenin First Nation

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:22 AM »
Thanks Kindheart
The police force of the reserve and the RCMP are working together and no suspect. Her body was found on October 27 - that's five days ago. There's not a lot of info to go on but I get the impression this murder is not a domestic situation. I do pray for a quick arrest.

The Treaty Three Police are working this with the OPP, i do not know if they have suspects. I am thinking it is someone Ashley knew. The location is so remote and that is why i draw that conclusion. Why do you not think it could be someone from there? There is plenty of domestic violence around here, as everywhere else. They are awaiting forensics and then we will hear.I am pretty sure this is someone local responsible, but there is no media on suspects that has been released quite yet. I will let you know as i hear things. Thanks Desespere and Chris.
~kindheart

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
From Kindheart

The Green name is big on that reserve as well as all throughout the NW region.Likely her boyfriend, or close friend. Very sad for this community, as it is a very small place and all would know both of them. :(
~kindheart

Murder charge laid
The Treaty Three Police Service has charged a Naicatchewenin First Nation man in connection with the death of 18-year-old Ashley Smith.
By Miner and News Staff
Friday November 02, 2007
The Treaty Three Police Service has charged a Naicatchewenin First Nation man in connection with the death of 18-year-old Ashley Smith.
Bronson Green, 20, has been charged with first degree murder after Smith?s body was found in the bush near the main community road of Naicatchewenin First Nation. A joint homicide investigation between Treaty Three Police Service, the OPP Northwest Crime Unit and OPP Forensic Identification Unit began after a post mortem examination was conducted at the Lake of the Woods District Hospital in Kenora. Police have not released the cause of death. Green will appear later today in a Fort Frances court.

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/News/351262.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:39:51 PM »
Hey Des, no need to be quiet, you are right way more then your not. You're outstanding at big picture stuff, this just happened to be what is the most common way of a woman getting killed. I had to admit, when I read this, I thought the same thing.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 09:41:46 PM »
From Kindheart

ey Des, no need to be quiet, you are right way more then your not. You're outstanding at big picture stuff, this just happened to be what is the most common way of a woman getting killed. I had to admit, when I read this, I thought the same thing

I agree Chris, Desespere never stop, or feel you should be quiet! Many of us are wrong or right or half of both, but the important thing is that we KEEP TALKING and paying attention :)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
From kindheart

The last unsolved case in my database in Ontario is the murder of a woman on her reserve Wabaseemoong First Nation. She was found behind a residence and was last seen at a house party. This was October 17, she was 19 and her name was Evaline Cameron. This reserve is near Whitedog, ON, about 300km east of Winnipeg.

I can fill in some details here as i pulled this up in archives as well. Evaleen worked as a daycare worker on her reserve called Wabaseemoong.This is just outside Minaki, Ontario. The people there launched a search immediately as she was not the type to wander off... She was found a week or so later, half eaten by reserve dogs. The community of Wabeseemoong saw absolutely nothing in the local press, except what i then found later. A small out of the way article mentioning partial human remains found. About a month later there then appears an article where the community frustrated by the lack of response from even their own Cheifs and native governments gather for a ceremony. They light an eternal flame for four days for Evaleen's spirit and have a "spirit feeding" with her friends and family.I have copies of these articles for my research and will eventually scan everything and upload them for you to post Chris, that is if you want them?
~kindheart