Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Melissa Maureen Nicholson - June 11, 1991 - Murdered - Victoria  (Read 4713 times)

Desespere

Melissa Maureen Nicholson, aged 17, naked and bruised body was found June 11, 1991 in bushes near Shawnigan Lake

What remains puzzling is why Greater Victoria had a cluster of four prostitute murders in the early 1990s.

Smith, Gallup and Nicholson were killed in a 13-month period. Greek disappeared a few weeks later. Slots and Elders also were discovered two months apart.

Are their murders somehow linked?

There are lots of reasons why certain crimes peak and fall off, said Bland. If a serial killer stops killing there can be two explanations -- he's either in jail or he's dead.

I'm sorry, the above quote is from an article, very long one, about unsolved homicides of sex trade workers on Vancouver Island and whether or not these are the work of a serial killer. I do not seem to have the link it came from, but I will look further. Sorry, it may have come from this site and reprinted there by permission.

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:19:40 PM by Desespere »

SNicholson

• View Profile
Re: Melissa Maureen Nicholson - June 11, 1991 - Murdered - Victoria
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
according to my dad she had been beaten and strangled to death.  He passed away a few years ago, I'm Melissa's baby brother.  Ive been searching for information about my sisters Death, and looking for her mother.  i have one photo of my sister we had not seen eachother since she was about ten I'm a couple years younger then her.  If anyone can provide me with any information, that would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to share this when we were just small my sister Melissa was a jingle Dress Dancer.  Everything i read talks about the prostitution id rather my sister be remember for more then just that...  if anyone has any pictures or information as to her death plz contact me

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
omg SNichson; all this must be hurtful for you to read.   :'(  We get so carried away here in our anger about these poor souls missing, murdered and/or forgotten; we are pretty free with words and speculation.  It's our way of trying to drum up support to solve what has happened to so many.  Believe me; we share your sorrow.  Most of us on here has lost someone to an unsolved crime or a covered up crime.
Please do keep the faith.  I hope you hang on to your good memories and also that maybe there are a few people reading here, who might have more precious moments to tell you they remember of Melissa.  More often than not, we get these friends of victims stumbling upon this site and posting a comment.  It's good you have come here.

D1

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
In the quest for justice we sometimes forget, the "cases" we speak of also mark the day when time stood still for others.

A poem from a grieving mother:

Hello old friend,
Oh yes you know
I lost my child a while ago.
No, no please
Don't look away
And change the subject
It's ok.
You see at first I couldn't feel,
It took so long, but now it's real.
I hurt so much inside you see
I need to talk
Come sit with me?
You see, I was numb for so very long,
And people said, "My, She is so strong."
They did not know I couldn't feel,
My broken heart made all unreal.
But then one day as I awoke
I clutched my chest, began to choke,
Such a scream, such a wail,
Broke from me..
My child! My child!
The horror of reality.

But everyone has moved on, you see,
everyone except for me.
Now, when I need friends most of all,
Between us there now stands a wall.
My pain is more than they can bear,
When I mention my child,
I see their blank stare.
"But I thought you were over it,"
Their eyes seem to say,
No, no, I can't listen to this, not today.
So I smile and pretend, and say, "Oh, I'm ok".
But inside I am crying, as I turn away.
And so my old friend, I shall paint on a smile,
As I have from the start,
You never knowing all the while,
All I've just said to you in my heart.

Written by Kelly Cummings
(courtesy of Parents of Murdered Children)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »

Thanks for posting that poem D1. I'm sure that only those who have experienced the loss of a child can truly understand how devastating it is. My heart goes out to each one of them.

SNicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »
It said last seen in Nanimo because that was where her mother had seen her last.  when her mother had filed the missing persons report 
but the police reported that her and a girl named something Greek who also was found were seen together the night before my sister was found same street corner in Victoria.

SNicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Melissa Nicholson
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
December 22, 1976 - June 11, 1991
Beaten, Raped, Strangled
No charges have been filed

From the Memorial Wall of Murder Victims

Sleuth

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
Welcome SNicholson! I am so sorry to hear about your sister. If I may speak for all of us posters on here, we do not look at a person's profession, we look at the murdered as someone's daughter, son, sister, brother, cousin, friend who were once living human beings until someone decided to cut that life short. As lostlinganer mentioned, friends, relatives, neighbours find this site and post their memories and most importantly information they know. I wish you strength and wishes on finding the person who took your sister away from you too soon. God Speed.

SNicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
If someone out there happens to goggle my sister
Melissa Nicholson
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
December 22, 1976 - June 11, 1991
Daughter of Kennith Alan Nicholson, Mother of I believe Jennifer, sister of Shawn, Christopher, Seth, and Jasmine Nicholson.

Plz send me an email, i would like to know more about her.  I know very little about my siblings especially my older sister Melissa.
And if someone has a picture of her i would like to build a site in my sisters honour, and post her pictures.  I only have one picture of her and her back is to the camera, its been so long i have begun to forget her face, and that hurts. 
But instead of staying in the hurting stage, i want to be proactive, also i had mentioned on a different thread that i am looking for a nation wide Amber Alert for missing women and children.  If there isn't one then my company Digital Smoke Signals is prepared to build one but is looking for volunteers to assist in providing creditable reports of missing women and children, to update the RSS feed to be linked to my digital monitor network.   

SNicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
OH ya i forgot if anyone out there wishes to get involved or is interested with what we are doing @ digital Smoke Signals plz give us an email at

dssdigitaladvertising@gmail.com

SNicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
i found some more information about my sisters death. and alittle about my sister i feel compelled to share it somewhere so I'm sharing it here.  hope this doesn't bother anyone.
Melissa Maureen Nicholson
Was born in 1973, Dec 22
Her parents names are Kenneth Alan Nicholson born 1950 Aug 22Th, and Genevieve Lambert 1950
she called home the night before she was found, asked her mom to leave the door open that she was on her way home to Nanaimo
she never made it
The following day or so her body was found on a untraveled gravel road, under some bush, near shawangian Lake.  The paper reported her as being a prostitute.  Supposedly she was traveling with her boyfriend how ever he was never questioned, by the police as they did not have his where abouts.  after the days following her funeral several family members traveled around with a photo of the man they believed was driving my sister home. however no one seemed to remember knowing this man.
That's all for now but I'm going to keep looking
I'm still looking to speak to Genevieve Lambert Melissa's mom i hope she could tell me more about my long lost sister.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »
Well, I lived in Victoria for a time and know that it is a wonderful place. It is not an overly large city. I feel that if the boyfriend you believe was the last one with your sister was identified, you might get some answers. Why wasn't this person's face put on TV out there and see if anyone could identify him. Going from person to person is okay, but placing his face on TV would surely bring forth more people with information. Even now people may be able to identify this person. Maybe you should try and get W-5 to do a little story on your sister. They are usually looking for information and stories to do. I send my deepest sympathy to you in your loss. I hope you have luck in finding other family that you are looking for. Keep on placing posts and maybe someone will be able to help you. Good luck in your efforts and we'll pray for you to get some answers about your sister and that someone will have pics for you. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
after the days following her funeral several family members traveled around with a photo of the man they believed was driving my sister home. however no one seemed to remember knowing this man.
SNicolson; I think you should try to get your hands on that photo and post it here, if you can get it.   ....better chance of getting "a bite".

kimmy4everinmyheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
I agree with lostlinganer, I was working vic around that time my friend was murdered a short time before your sister in November of the following yr I dunno if I can be of help but curious if maybe the picture is close in likeness to the man I seen my friend leave with ?

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here