Author Topic: Heather Denise Hamill ? August 1, 2003 ? Age 31 ? Murdered ? Kamloops  (Read 12696 times)

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
Re: Heather Denise Hamill ? August 1, 2003 ? Age 31 ? Murdered ? Kamloops
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:23:57 AM »
Kamloops This Week web has a link if anyone wants to catch up on this re-trial  The Crown Prosecutors have wrapped their side of the evidence as of today  --  http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/?s=Balbar&orderby=date

Robert Balbar agreed he killed Heather and was convicted of 2nd degree in 2009/2010 and sentenced to 15 years for the death of Heather Hamill.

He appealed in 2011 and his conviction was overturned in 2013 because 3 BC Supreme Court Justices ruled that the judge in this case, erred in her instructions to the jury. This case also has Mr Big aspects to it but I believe that he started his appeal process before the recent Supreme Court of Canada Mr Big ruling, so I guess if this appeal doesn't work he can try that for his next appeal.

I am sad for the family of Ms Hamill and I truly wish the system had worked for them, but I believe it has failed these people this time. I hope this 'case' at least, will be over for them ASAP. Sorry for your loss.

I care about Canadians

• View Profile
Re: Heather Denise Hamill ? August 1, 2003 ? Age 31 ? Murdered ? Kamloops
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:21 AM »
BALBAR TRIAL: Jury delivers guilty verdict

By: Kamloops This Week  December 11, 2014

It took a B.C. Supreme Court jury less than two days of deliberation to find a Kamloops man guilty of second-degree murder in the slaying of his girlfriend more than 10 years ago.

Robert Balbar, 42, beat Heather Hamill to death with a hammer during an altercation in his North Shore apartment in late-July 2003.

The body of the 31-year-old mother of three was found floating in the North Thompson River on Aug. 1 of that year.

The seven-man, five-woman jury returned with its guilty verdict at 4 p.m. today (Dec. 11) after 19 hours of deliberation over two days.

During trial, Balbar claimed he was acting in self-defence after Hamill threatened him and his son with a machete.

However, during an RCMP Mr. Big undercover operation in 2007, he told a supposed crime boss that he beat Hamill to death because she was going to tell police he had hit her.
A pathologist testified Hamill had been struck violently at least eight times in the head.

This is the second time a jury has found Balbar guilty of second-degree murderhttp://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/balbar-trial-jury-delivers-guilty-verdict/