Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - BCBev

Pages: [1]
Still no news on this missing senior ?

Serial Killers In Canada / Re: Shearing Out On Four Hour Escorted Pass
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:36:45 AM »
Ok, I admit, I had to pull out my dictionary to double-check the meaning of this!   ;D

Basically, the parole board says his risk is "greater than is reasonable" if he is released to the community.

(Thank you Free Dictionary.)

Other BC Locations / Missing - Sicamous, BC - Rene Nolette
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
This here is not an old case, the last time Rene Nolette was seen alive was August 13, 2008 but the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, in hindsight, seem very obvious.

Story of Rene Nolette's Disappearance from boat in the middle of the night. 

Mark Cote, not his real name, was able to convince the RCMP that nothing suspicious happened and that he was not involved in harming Nolette in any way.

He's no longer in the area.  Go figure.

Serial Killers In Canada / Shearing Out On Four Hour Escorted Pass
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
This just in from CBC...

"Multiple-murderer David Shearing granted escorted leave"

Not even the family has been told why, although they were notified Monday morning it was happening Wednesday.

Edmonton / Re: Edmonton Unsolved Murders & Missing People
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
Its almost an every-other-week pattern, which could be a wild weekend after payday, and also, the 20, 21, 22 is when welfare cheques come out, isn't it? 

Just an idea.

Solved Cases / Re: MISSING -NIKKI COUTRE(23) - Oct. 2, 2008
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »
Wow, this is weird! Another really good looking woman from a small town. This is not an anomoly, this is a trend.

Generalization: women from larger cities have street smarts that women from small towns never develop.  Predators can spot the easy prey.  And that's how I look at life.  There are predators.  There are prey.  They know how to cut the one they want out of the herd.

Thank God this one is safe.  Gives me hope.  But there are still those remains found in Barriere.  She belongs to someone.

General Discussion / Re: PRISON GANGS:::Inside and Out
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »
Thanks Adrian.  He's actually matured into a wonderful man and a lot of that is due to working there.  He's very balanced, a very calm person by nature, but seeing what he sees and knowing what he knows has taught him a lot about life on the outside, not just on the in.  I'm so glad he doesn't bring any of the negativity back into his home world.  If I worked there, I'm not sure I could say the same.

General Discussion / Re: PRISON GANGS:::Inside and Out
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
And I thought we had trouble just with the Angels here...

When my mother worked for a financial institution in a small highway town back in the 80s, the RCMP routinely warned them to keep all their doors locked in the car on the way home.  You had to pull to a stop to get on the TCH anywhere, which was how you got home.  There were reports of hitch hikers simply climbing into cars at stop signs.  The story we heard over and over was "Halfway between the big prisons, they gonna need a ride and they've used all their cash on drugs by now and can't afford the bus."

OT I know.

My best friend works at the Remand Centre in Edmonton, and the best he can say is, I just treat everyone with the same respect, inmate or guard.  I worry.  Its what I do.  But seeing all the Edmonton specific gangs there... my mind can't wrap all the way around it.

Okay, so I've got a lot of catching up to do here but bear with me...

In regards to Susan Duff's case the RCMP did charge her stepfather's brother with her death some ten years after the fact.  He was held in custody for 7 days then the charges were stayed.  It seems the RCMP did not confer with Crown Counsel before laying them.  CC didn't feel the evidence would support the charges.  As near as I can tell, this is the last mention of her case in the media.  HOWEVER: The suspect in this case passed away from natural causes March 21, 2007.  Nothing further I can find on the assaults.

Proceedings stayed in girl's slaying
RCMP charged man without consulting Crown prosecutors

Darah Hansen
Vancouver Sun; with files from Canadian Press
Saturday, April 23, 2005

PENTICTON - The Crown stayed proceedings Friday against a 68-year-old man police had charged with killing his brother's stepdaughter in Penticton almost 26 years ago.

Regional Crown prosecutor Brad Chapman announced the stay of the first-degree murder charge against Ernest Gardiner during what was supposed to have been a bail hearing in B.C. Supreme Court in Penticton.

Gardiner was not in court, but was represented by his lawyer, Oliver Butterfield. The killing of 12-year-old Susan Duff attracted province-wide headlines when she went missing in 1979.

Chapman said the RCMP had the charge sworn against Gardiner April 15 without consulting the prosecutor's office -- contrary to normal procedure in British Columbia. After reviewing the case, Chapman's office concluded the RCMP did not have enough evidence to support the murder charge.

Outside court, Chapman said it is not unusual for the police to lay a charge without going to the Crown.

"There's certainly circumstances where the police are involved in an investigation, where they have a body of knowledge and an understanding of their investigation that gives them a good idea as to the strength of their case," he said.

Butterfield disagreed, calling the police decision to circumvent normal charge-approval protocol in B.C. "very unusual" -- particularly when, according to the lawyer, police knew the Crown would not prosecute the case on the basis of the evidence then available.

Chapman defended the way the police handled the case.

"The police conducted themselves in this investigation impeccably," he said.

Butterfield said the reason police decided to lay the charge "was to facilitate their own investigation."

"They were hoping to get either a confession or some other evidence from [Gardiner] when he was detained in custody," Butterfield said.

Gardiner spent seven days behind bars charged with the first-degree murder of Duff. During that time, Butterfield said, his client was subject to "intense" interrogation by police and had undercover agents placed in his prison cell in order to collect new evidence in the cold case.
Speaking to media outside RCMP E Division headquarters in Vancouver Friday, Sgt. John Ward defended the actions of Penticton investigators.

"Our members were acting with all the right intentions," Ward said.

He said the matter remains under active investigation and Friday's stay of proceedings has done nothing to hurt the case. "We've lost nothing here," he said.

Six charges of sexual assault remain outstanding against Gardiner. The charges date between 1973 and 1979 and allegedly involve girls between the ages of five years and the mid-teens.
Stan Lowe, spokesman for the provincial Crown, said his office has yet to review those charges, which were sworn April 15, again without prior approval by Crown counsel, the same day police charged Gardiner with murder.

Gardiner is currently on bail on those charges. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 23.

Susan Duff was last seen alive on Sept. 26, 1979, after eating supper with her family at their home in a Penticton mobile home park. At 5:30 p.m., she went outside to play with her sister and was last seen pedalling away on a bicycle.

A family picking mushrooms found Duff's fully clothed body among trees and rocks on Oct. 21, 1979. Her three-speed Mustang bike was found in the bushes a short distance away. Also found were a man's brown leather glove, a string of tape and a half-metre length of yellow nylon rope.
Police believe the body had been there since the girl disappeared almost a month earlier. An autopsy performed at the time failed to reveal the cause of death.

Suspect in 1979 murder of girl dies
By John Moorhouse
Friday, March 30, 2007

The man Penticton RCMP considered the prime suspect in the unsolved 1979 slaying of 12-year-old Susan Duff has died.
A police spokesman says although the file into the Penticton girl?s murder remains officially open, no further investigation is planned.
Ernest Gardiner, the brother of Susan?s stepfather, passed away last week at Penticton Regional Hospital at age 70. Gardiner, who had kidney disease for some time, fell victim to a heart attack.
Gardiner was charged in April 2005 with murdering Duff, as well as sexually assaulting six other young females dating back to the 1970s.
However, Crown counsel later decided not to proceed with the charges, suggesting there wasn?t enough evidence to gain a conviction.
RCMP Cpl. Hugh Winter said Friday police are satisfied that a thorough investigation was conducted, from the time of Susan?s death right up to when charges were laid two years ago.
?There has been no investigation since that date on this file, nor will there will be from this time on,? Winter said. ?We were satisfied that the proper course of action was taken by the unsolved homicide unit (in laying the original charges).?
Susan?s mother, Darlene Gardiner, said from her home in Okanagan Falls although Ernie?s death does not result in any vindication for her, it does bring a sense of relief.
?I?m just relieved that it?s over with,? she said. ?My little girl?s case is basically closed. He was the only one charged with the crime.?
Although her brother-in-law repeatedly denied any involvement with Susan?s death, Darlene said she remained unconvinced.
?I, without a doubt, feel in my heart that it was Ernie. There?s no way that will ever change, even if he had gotten down on bended knees and begged me,? Darlene said.
?She was 12 years old. She was still a child.?
Thursday would have been Susan?s 40th birthday.
Darlene Gardiner marked the occasion by visiting her daughter?s gravesite at Lakeview Cemetery in Penticton.
?I went up to the grave and put flowers on it, which I do every year and have done for 28 years.?
Darlene added she hopes Ernie?s passing may bring other members of his family back together. Her husband, Fred, had not talked to his brother since Susan?s death.
Susan Duff was last seen alive on Sept. 26, 1979. After eating supper with her family at their home off Skaha Lake Road, she went outside to play with her sister. The sister lent Susan her three-speed mustang bike and she was last seen at Skaha Lake Road and Yorkton Avenue, pedaling east on Yorkton.
Susan?s disappearance garnered intense provincewide media coverage at the time, as an exhaustive search was launched for the girl.
Almost a month later, a family discovered her fully clothed body among some trees and rocks a few metres off Carmi Road east of Penticton. The bike was found in the bushes a short distance away.
A brief obituary notice announcing Ernest Gardiner?s death was published in Friday?s Penticton Herald. He is survived by three sisters and two brothers. No memorial service is planned

Solved Cases / Re: Mounties need public's help to ID remains
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:24 PM »

But to answer your wondering, Desepere, cotton left outdoors unprotected would be lucky to have survived as well as it did.  From the Wikipedia article on cotton: 
Cotton dries out, becomes hard and brittle and loses all elasticity at temperatures above 25?C (77?F). Extended exposure to light causes similar problems. A temperature range of 25 ?C (77 ?F) to 35 ?C (95?F) is the optimal range for mold development. At temperatures below 0?C (32 ?F), rotting of wet cotton stops.
  Temperatures in Northern Alberta can range from -46.5C to 35.5C, according to Environment Canada.  And insects will eat cotton as well.  Other animals may have used it as nesting material. 

Sorry if I sound all nerdy on ya, but I, oh, wait - I AM a nerd.  D'oh!

Other BC Locations / Re: Jean Annie Roelfsema | Missing (October 2007)
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »
Barriere, BC: Barriere RCMP investigators are seeking the publics assistance in identifying human remains located August 18, 2008 on the shore of North Thompson River, North of Barriere and approximately 1 kilometer from Highway 5.

An autopsy has been conducted and found no cause of death. A number of investigational avenues, such as a review of all relevant missing persons files in the area, have proven to be unsuccessful in identifying the deceased. Investigators are seeking the publics assistance in identifying the deceased female. When found, she was wearing blue jeans, a white or tan shirt, a sleeveless blue and green vest and black running shoes. The deceased was also wearing a wedding or engagement ring that she wore on the right ring finger. In an attempt to identify the deceased, pictures of the ring, running shoes and t-shirt are being made public. Investigators have found no evidence of foul play.

Anyone who has any information that could help further this police investigation or who recognizes those items as belonging to their loved one are asked to contact Barriere RCMP at (250)672-9918 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Media inquiries can be directed to CST Steve Holmes, Media Relations Officer for the Southeast District, (250)470-6361.

Released by

CST. Annie Linteau
Communication Officer
"E" Div. Strategic Communications
5255 Heather Street, Vancouver B.C. V5Z 1K6
Office: (604)264-2929
Fax: (604)264-3200

KAMLOOPS - A man convicted of the first-degree murder of a Salmon Arm woman Friday must serve a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Ronald Menard, also from the Salmon Arm area, was convicted by the jury of the August 2005 murder of Diane Ellison.

Justice Richard Blair imposed the prison sentence, one mandated by Canada's Criminal Code, immediately after the verdict was given.

Menard has been in custody since his arrest in Kamloops in August 2006.

Menard admitted he killed Ellison, but denied he meant to do it. He said he was high on crack cocaine at the time, and had no ability to control his actions.

The Crown alleged Menard killed Ellison during an actual or attempted sexual assault, factors that raise murder to first-degree murder.
Prosecutor Bill Hilderman also suggested the murder was first-degree because Menard confined Ellison as he strangled her with a pair of pants. The law states murder committed during an unlawful confinement is first-degree murder.

Evidence showed Menard confessed to the killing to undercover officers posing as gangsters. Menard believed he was being brought into the criminal organization.

This happened during the weekend of the Roots & Blues Festival and was allegedly kept quiet until the tourists had left town. 

Pages: [1]