Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Sap1

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79

The man known in Calgary as the Beltline Rapist has been granted his first taste of freedom.

Wafid Delaa has been granted day parole, Global News learned Wednesday.

Delaa was convicted of the violent rapes of two young Calgary women in their Beltline-area homes in 2006. One of the women was beaten beyond recognition.

Police used a fake chewing gum taste test to get his DNA, which was used to convict him.

He lived just blocks from his victims in downtown Calgary.

Delaa’s lengthy violent history led him to be declared a dangerous offender ten years ago, which means his sentence was “indeterminate.”

The Parole Board of Canada noted he’s been assessed as a high to moderate risk of reoffending.

“Your violent offending history suggest that you are prone to become easily frustrated and angry and may exert poor control of your impulses,” the board said.

But Delaa’s taste of freedom comes with a catch: Delaa is not a Canadian citizen.

He came to Canada illegally from Algeria in 1997, and the parole board’s latest decision will ensure he’s sent back.

“Should you be released on either day parole or full parole, you would be deported to your country of origin where you have the support of several family members who are aware of your criminality,” the board notes.

“Day parole is granted for six months and will only be effective when you are released into the care and control of the appropriate government agencies involved in carrying out the removal order.”

Global News has been unable to confirm when Delaa will be deported.

He is banned from ever returning to Calgary. If he returns to Canada, he has to notify the parole board and the Correctional Service of Canada.


A 48-year-old Anchorage man was charged with murder after someone found a digital card containing dozens of videos and photos that authorities say show him beating and killing a woman in a Midtown hotel room.

The woman’s body was found last week along the Seward Highway south of the city. She has not been identified.

Detectives recognized Brian Steven Smith from the graphic videos because Smith is involved in a separate ongoing investigation, said Anchorage Police Department spokesman MJ Thim. Thim declined to say anything about the other investigation, or whether Smith is a suspect in other crimes.

Smith was taken into custody on an arrest warrant for first-degree murder Tuesday afternoon at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, police said in an online release announcing the arrest Wednesday.

He was returning to Anchorage, where he lives, Thim said. Smith is originally from South Africa.

Smith, 48, appeared in Anchorage Superior Court on Wednesday afternoon.

An affidavit filed with the criminal complaint against him details a strange chain of events that led police to a trove of gruesome videos and photos.

Last Monday, Sept. 30, a woman called police dispatch to report that she’d found an SD card containing a video of a homicide on the ground, police said. The caller later told officers the card — a small memory card used in portable digital devices — was discarded on the street at the corner of Fairbanks Street and 13th Avenue in Fairview, near the Gambell Carrs store.

The SD card was labeled “Homicide at midtown Marriott,” according to the affidavit.

Homicide detectives began combing through the 39 images and 12 videos on the card, all documenting a horrifying scene of violence against an unknown woman.

The images showed a naked woman being beaten on the floor of a hotel room, according to the affidavit. Other images showed her being strangled by a man who was yelling at her to die in what sounded like a foreign accent, at one point stomping on her throat. It appeared that Smith recorded them himself, according to the affidavit.

The woman attempted to fight back, the affidavit said.

Other images showed the woman covered in a white sheet, being moved through a parking lot to a truck. Time stamps on the images at the hotel showed they were taken in the early hours of Sept. 4, the affidavit said.

The final images on the card show the woman’s body face down in the bed of a pickup, and were time-stamped Sept. 6.

Police recognized the man in the videos as Brian Smith, an immigrant from South Africa police knew of “from a previous investigation," according to the affidavit.

Then, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, the woman’s body was found along Turnagain Arm, near the Rainbow trailhead.

Smith has a truck matching the one in the images, and pings from his cellphone put him along Rainbow Valley Road off the Seward Highway, near where the woman’s body was found, within minutes of the last time-stamped photos of the body, the affidavit said.

Smith had registered a room at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott the night the video was taken, according to the affidavit.

The woman, who has not yet been identified, is described as having long dark hair and possibly being Alaska Native.

Thim said the arrest hinged on two aspects of the investigation: the citizen who chose to call police when they found that card, and the coordination between law enforcement agencies handling the separate cases of the videos and the body.

Many questions remain unanswered Wednesday, including the identity of the woman.

“We still don’t know who she is and we don’t know much about her," said Thim.

Detectives knew almost immediately that “something was wrong, that someone’s loved one was killed” when they found her remains, he said.

The State Medical Examiner Office is working to confirm her identity and manner of death.

There’s also the question of how an SD card containing images and videos of a slaying, labeled “Homicide at midtown Marriott,” came to be discarded on a busy Anchorage street.

Little is known about Smith, the man charged. Public records show that he lives in a home in the Geneva Woods neighborhood, and a social media profile that appears to belong to him says he married an Anchorage woman in 2014.

Police and a crime scene investigation unit spent much of Tuesday afternoon and evening at the home where Smith lived with his wife, hauling away a black pickup, neighbors said. His wife is not implicated in the slaying.

In court Wednesday, Smith appeared in handcuffs, wearing a yellow jail jumpsuit. He told Anchorage District Court Judge Brian Clark that he had about $2,000 in total saved.

Clark asked that he be appointed a public defender and set his bail at $500,000 cash appearance bond and a $250,000 cash performance bond.

The case marks the second killing in less than six months involving a video. A Snapchat video showed two of the teens accused of killing 19-year-old Cynthia Hoffman near the Thunderbird Falls trailhead in June apparently discussing the crime.

Reporter Jeff Parrott contributed to this story.

Human remains found along Seward Highway near Rainbow trailhead

Zaz Hollander
Veteran ADN reporter Zaz Hollander is based in Wasilla and covers the Mat-Su region and breaking news.

General Discussion / Homicide victim sketch - Slave Lake - Oct 6 2018
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Police request help in identifying sketch rendering of a male found deceased (homicide). Rendering and sketches within link.

EDMONTON -- Slave Lake RCMP have released model renderings and sketch composites of a man found dead last October.

Police found the human remains in a rural area near Slave Lake on Oct. 6, 2018, and the death is being investigated as homicide.

The man is believed to be older than 45 and appears to be a mix of white and Indigenous, RCMP said. He also had a stubble beard and was balding.

Anyone with information about this investigation is asked to call Slave Lake RCMP at 780-849-3045 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

General Discussion / Re: Patrick Joseph Carson
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
It is some people's belief that it was this man, Carson, who may have been involved in Amber Tuccaro's death.

General Discussion / Patrick Joseph Carson
« on: October 05, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
Debbie, please delete if not acceptable without a link as I got this from a friend on sm in her own words but it's dealing with a nasty sexual predator around the Edmonton area who preys on the vulnerable. I know there is something on this site about him but cannot find it under his name. I'll try and find more. This is an old article.

In the House of Commons on April 1st, 2003

Patrick Joseph Anthony Carson, 46, is an untreated sex offender released from jail and is labelled a predator who engages in extensive planning to secure his victims. He was sentenced last year to 18 months for sexually exploiting three girls under the age of 18 outside of Edmonton. He had a previous five year sentence for picking up underage prostitutes and choking them. He will be out on the streets in six months and we do not where. We do not know what name he will use. We do not know anything about it.

This disgusting creep is still trying to lure young girls to his Ranch in Onoway, advertising free meals, room & board in exchange for work

Thank you for the update Jellybean.

Sad! A young man who probably got in over his head with petty crimes and facing court appearances/possible jail time. Young, with a lot of time to turn his life around as well. Sad he didn't reach out to someone for help.

Condolences to his family and relatives.

All 5 found safe and are being cared for at the moment.


The Niagara Regional Police have issued an Amber Alert after five children were abducted from the Niagara Region Tuesday afternoon. The alert was issued just before 5 p.m.

The children are named as Eska, 13, Evelyn, 5, Magnus, 14, Mattias 10, and Sovereign MacDermid, 11. The suspect is identified as Ian MacDermid, described as 6ft., 280lbs with blue eyes and brown hair. He’s driving a gold pickup which was last seen in Jordan, Ont. Police say they might be heading to Toronto.

If you have any information, police are asking the public to call 9-1-1.

How horrible for the family. I am sorry for the family to have to go through all this. Thank you Annaleone.

Thank you Annaleone, for the update.

Police say not suspicious.

Published Friday, September 6, 2019 10:06PM MDT
Last Updated Friday, September 6, 2019 10:27PM MDT
Human remains were found in southeast Edmonton Friday night, though police say the death is not suspicious.

Police were called to 8400 64 Avenue after at approximately 7:15 p.m.

Officers determined the remains found were human.

The Edmonton Police Service Homicide Section was investigating the death, but it has since been ruled not suspicious.

General Discussion / The food you eat ... know what is in it
« on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
With all the food and pet products now coming from China , it is best to make sure you read label at the grocery store and especially Walmart when buying food products.
Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located.
It is important to read the bar code to track it's origin.
How to read Bar Codes .... interesting!
This may be useful to know when grocery shopping, if it's a concern to you.

The whole world is concerned about China-made "black hearted goods".
Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ?

If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan .
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the
public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA
30 - 37 FRANCE
40 - 44 GERMANY
471 ... Taiwan
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

BUY USA & CANADIAN MADE by watching for "0" at the beginning of the number.
We need every boost we can get! Pass this on to everybody on your E-Mail Contact List!!

If the government won't help us, we MUST help ourselves.

Edmonton / Human remains found 84 Street and 64 Avenue Edmonton Sept 6/19
« on: September 07, 2019, 04:08:16 AM »

Homicide detectives have been called out to investigate what police believe to be human remains discovered in south Edmonton.

Police were called to the area of 84 Street and 64 Avenue at around 7:15 p.m. Friday.

Christopher Field said he was walking his dogs in the area when his Labrador Shepherd Cailey went into a nearby treed area.

The dog came out of the bush with a large bone, Field said.

“I think she was more or less in the middle of the bush, of the treed area. She was in there for quite a while, for a couple of minutes at least, and that’s when she brought it out,” Field explained.

He immediately called police. When officers arrived, they cordoned off the treed area with police tape, Field said.

“This is really close to home. We’ve walked by there every day for the last six years and nothing like this has ever happened. So for her to bring this out from the trees was a real shocker,” Field said.

“It’s kind of scary. Who knows what’s going to happen when you leave your door.”

Staff Sgt. Ashley Emerson with the Edmonton Police Service said police believe the remains are human.

The homicide section will likely remain on scene until Saturday morning, Emerson said.

Quote Jobo:

Someone (or somebodies) didn’t, unfortunately

Jobo my thoughts on that is maybe the someone "loved" her too much. Not "loved" in a healthy sense, rather a jealous individual who wanted Sonia and he didn't get the attention he wanted and went ape shite with a deranged thought that if he can't have her, no one else would either and he made sure of that. Could even have been a person she didn't know at all because he worshipped her from a distance. Just my humble opinion. I hope police also looked at the loner types and not just the popular males around.

My ex had a friend who quite scared me with his thoughts on much younger girls. He would ogle a young nurse who walked home past his place from work and he really thought she was trying to hit on him because she "smiled" at him when he was outside. My own experience once was I felt sorry for an older man and would also smile at him as I passed ... just to make him feel better and not so lonely looking. I became cautious with smiles after that because at a time when I was carrying something which I needed both arms for, he came out of nowhere and grabbed me in places I do not care to mention and tried to kiss me. Some minds just don't roll normally.

As with Sonia's mother and family, my heart really goes out to them as they quietly suffer. I wish they had someone to keep after police for them.


About two weeks ago, a tip came into Paula’s hotline from a man in Edmonton who thought he met Mekayla outside the Highrun Club in Edmonton’s Capilano neighbourhood.

“He had stepped outside in the smoking area,” Paula explained. “He happened to meet this young girl, and in his recollection, he believes she used her name, Mekayla, and struck up a conversation.”

The man reportedly thought the young woman he spoke to seemed out of place. The interaction happened in March and the man didn’t know Mekayla was missing.

When he later came across a missing person posting, he thought he recognized the woman in the social media post and called both RCMP and Paula’s tip line.

“His recollection of the conversation was that she was perhaps staying in the area and walking through,” Paula explained.

RCMP contacted their counterparts at the Edmonton Police Service and tried to obtain surveillance video from the area, but were unsuccessful.

The manager of the Highrun Club told Global News there are no cameras outside at the strip mall and that any indoor surveillance is lost after about 60 days.

That means the RCMP cannot confirm the sighting. But officers didn’t stop there.

“We continue to investigate Mekayla’s disappearance and have worked with the Edmonton Police Service, homeless shelters and local businesses in the Edmonton area to help share our missing person’s report,” Const. Robert Head with the RCMP said.

Despite nearly three and a half years passing since Mekayla was reported missing, her mother still believes she could be reunited one day.

“In my heart, I feel that she is alive. I don’t feel she’s safe. I feel she’s in danger,” Paula explained.

“I hope that one day we’ll see her again, and we’ll all have some answers.”

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79