Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Charles HORVATH - 20 - Missing - May 26, 1989 - Kelowna, BC  (Read 12828 times)

search4charleshorvath

• 1989 aged 20 STILL MISSING - 'Charles' k j Horvath
    • View Profile
Charles HORVATH - 20 - Missing - May 26, 1989 - Kelowna, BC
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »
1989 ENDANGERED MISSING

BORN Wednesday 21 August 1968 - Cochenour - Ontario
LOST                                1989 - Kelowna - British Columbia

'Charles' Karoly John HORVATH aged 20
was back packing across Canada and
went missing from Kelowna BC Canada

1989 May 11 -
Last letter sent home to Mom by fax
from Roche Stationers Kelowna BC

Corpl Lisa CULLEN of the Kelowna RCMP Serious Crime Unit
now confirm that they believe Charles to be deceased

Mom Denise Allan in England - Tel 011 44 208 332 6776
has been searching for 19 years and is still searching to find Charles'
remains and establish his fate

Can anyone help to find my lost son?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:29:01 AM by searchforcharles »

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
Re: Charles HORVATH - 20 - Missing - May 26, 1989 - Kelowna, BC
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
'Charles' Karoly John Horvath
was born on Weds 21 August 1968 in Cochenour, Ontario to
Denise (nee Austin) Horvath and Max A K Horvath @ the age of
5 weeks flew to Yorkshire England where he was raised.

1989 - At the age of 20 -
Whilst Charles was back packing across Canada he was in constant contant with his Mom and Grandparents in UK; he visited his natural father Max Horvath in Thunder Bay and
Godfather Gabby in Cochenour, Ontario
(sadly both are now deceased)

1989 March 22 - Swift Current, Sask -  Charles cashed a check at The Royal Bank
(the teller remembered him and his warm smile which she recalled when
I spoke with her whilst back tracked Charles' journey across Canada. 
I have made this journey on more than one occasion.

17 April 1989 we last spoke (collect of course) for 25 mins from Banff Alberta where
Charles was working at The Rimrock Hotel. 
His former boss Anna and I became close friends.

We talked about meeting up in Hong Kong for his 21st and my 40th birthday. 

11 May 1989 - Charles sent his last letter home to Mom by fax from
Roche Stationers in Kelowna, British Columbia regarding the cost of the ticket
Vancouver-Hong Kong, also the prospects of him working with Max in Sask.

1989 May - Charles was registered at all the local student employment agencies,
befriended several families and had camped at a local campground where
I established he had left his tent and personal belongings. 

Later the RCMP retrieved some of Charles' belongings from persons who had
taken and were using them at the campsite.

Despite an unconfirmed sighting at
'The Live Wire Nightclub' in Kelowna in August 1989,
Charles has never been seen alive since.''

The Serious Crime Unit of the Kelowna Detachment of the
RCMP now confirm they believed Charles to be deceased.

2008 May 10 - (Mothers Day weekend) -
The Kelowna Chapter of the Compassionate Friends had
Charles' name engraved upon their
'Brevity Memorial Wall' in the Kelowna Cemetery.

I have and still am searching for the fate of my only son
Charles k j Horvath-Allan for 19 years.

Can anyone please help me find Charles?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:55:18 PM by Chris »

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(I am so sorry Canada has given you this. I hope somehow we can help.

It is good to read that people out there care about the missing and murdered children/youngers/adults out there and that despite however long ago these people who can longer speak for themselves have voices that will speak for them.

I am familiar with several of the Unsolved Cases that you have on your Website.

It is so good that the Internet has provided a world wide board for our missing but NOT forgotten lost ones.

Denise

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Thank you for caring. 

I have always said that
'as long as I can stand,walk and talk,
I will search for my son until the day I die'

My Mom, Charles' Nana Austin passed away
2 years ago never knowing the fate of her only Grandson.
They adored oneanother.

If anyone has any information re the death of my son, please contact me:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:24:43 PM by searchforcharles »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »
Hi Denise, it may surprise you to know that I am very familiar with this case and have always wondered if there have ever been any new developments in the search for Charles. The missing have always had a place in my heart as I have had my own experience with that. I grew up in Kelowna and so when I saw this case air on Unsolved Mysteries some years ago it really caught my attention. I was familiar with the fact that you came to Kelowna after the anonymous tip was received about you're son. It would be so interesting to know who sent that postcard and why they never came forward. I will certainly keep my eye on this topic and hope that someone who knows something may come forward now that all this time has passed. I wish you all the best.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
Wow I am sorry for your loss. I am so suprrised I never heard of this. Back 91 - 93 I did pretty much the same thing, crossing Canada, staying Banff, hanging out in camps and having a good time. It is very strange that I too worked in Banff and now I cash my checks in Swift Current (city is close to me).

also the prospects of him working with Max in Sask

Where in Sask was he going? HIs Dad was Mx right? So was he with him at all?

From the sounds of it, it seems like he had money with him on his trip. Makes you wonder about some of the riff raff that always seems to hang around places where tourists hang out because they know they can steal from tourists and get away from it. This was like in Banff.

Anyway, I hope this gets solved one day, I am sure someone out there knows something and I hope they will have the courage to speak up.

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Hi Denise, it may surprise you to know that I am very familiar with this case and have always wondered if there have ever been any new developments in the search for Charles.

The missing have always had a place in my heart as I have had my own experience with that.

I grew up in Kelowna and so when I saw this case air on Unsolved Mysteries some years ago it really caught my attention.

I was familiar with the fact that you came to Kelowna after the anonymous tip was received about you're son.

It would be so interesting to know who sent that postcard and why they never came forward.

I will certainly keep my eye on this topic and hope that someone who knows something may come forward now that all this time has passed. I wish you all the best.

Thank You Debbie for your message.

1990 June/July was my 1st trek across Canada along with my Mom who has now passed away, to search for Charles.

1989 Charles had sent his last letter by fax from Roche Stationers on 11 May 1989 re our meeting up in Hong Kong (where I had grown up) for our birthdays - his 21st and my 40th) 

I was expecting a telephone call from his to enable me to book the tickets, but the calll never came.  I was frantic and called the RCMP and everyone Charles knew in Canada but no one had heard from him since May 1989.

Obviously the tickets were never booked and the 19 year nightmare began and continues.

There have been several remains found since which have caused such heartache, still not my child.

There is now a new officer Corpl Lisa Cullen SCU Kelowna Detachment who has the file.  I met with her this year on the 19th Aniversary and wored alongside her for many hours.  I hope that she is able to close the file.

Thank you for caring and being aware of Charles' Story.

1990 we spent about 5 weeks in Canada, 4 of which was in BC, Kelowna and Vancouver. 

It was my intention to spend 4 nights in each place where Charles had visited but with the response from the poeple who had met and or befriended Charles in Kelowna the plan changed and we spent a month in BC.

1992 March  - The 2nd trip was 3 years after I had lost Charles in the Spring of 1992; it was then that 2 anonymous letter were sent to The Pandosy Inn by cab to me re the fate of Charles.

The 1st letter said that Charles had died at a Party and dumped into Okanagan Lake.

When Volunteer Divers and my Submersible Camera team were searching under the Floating Bridge, the 2nd letter was delivered to say that they were searching on the wrong side of the bridge. 

Ironically my team found a 'body' which the Authorities gave a Press Release to the effect that it was Charles and all down to his mother that he had been found.  It would have been preferable to wait for a Positive ID before giving such a Press Release.  The grief that caused my Grandma and family was immense.

Yes I believe I did find and meet the writer of the letter.  He was a strange person, no charges have been brought against him if as the RCMP say his letters were a Hoax.

I am sorry to hear that you or your family have had someone Missing.  I hope that they were found safe and sound.

sincerely Denise

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:22:22 PM »
Ironically my team found a 'body'

You mean they found a different body? That is certainly strange. I hope the RCMP took a close look at the guy who wrote the letter.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »
Hi Denise, It is nice to hear from you. I wondered if you would continue to read on this site. I am familiar with the Pandosy Inn where you stayed at the time the letter was delivered to you as I grew up only about three blocks from there. I remember when they ran the episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" and talked about the anonymous tip about the body under the bridge. Now I wonder if the guy that sent the letters really did it for a hoax or if he knew about the body and mistakenly thought it was Charles. If it was a hoax it was certainly a coincidence that they actually found a body in the location that he said. Also think it was incredibly cruel if in fact it was a hoax. Very irresponsible of the authorities to give the press release saying it was Charles too. I guess they were so sure it would be after being told that's where he was that they jumped the gun. Hopefully the new person on the case will make a valiant effort to find out what happened to Charles so you can be at peace finally knowing the truth. I don't know if you knew that they recently opened the new bridge in Kelowna and either have or will in the near future sink the old floating bridge to form a reef for diving. As for as my own experience with someone missing goes it happened when I was very young and unfortunately it did not have a happy ending. I am so sorry that you haven't been able to have closure. I wish you all the best in you're continued search for Charles. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:36:37 PM by debbiec »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »
I just realized from re reading this topic that Charles would be celebrating his 40th birthday on August 21st. He remains missing after 19 years.

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
Yes Debbie - Charles 40th birthday 21 August 2008.

We were trying to arrange to meet up in Hong Kong where
I had grown up for my 40th and Charles' 21st birthdays.

In Charles' last letter sent by fax 11 May 89 from Roche Stationers
Kelowna BC Canada,  he had established the price of the ticket Van-HK
and had telephoned his natural father, Max A K Horvath - who was then
working in Estavan Sask to say he was going to meet Mom and Stuart
(his step father) in Hong Kong.

19 years of searching I could not remember if he would be 39 or 40 as
I can only see his handsome face at the age of 20.

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »
Wow I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you for caring.

I am so suprrised I never heard of this.

Back 91 - 93 I did pretty much the same thing, crossing Canada, staying
Banff, hanging out in camps and having a good time.

It is very strange that I too worked in Banff and now I cash my checks in
Swift Current (city is close to me).

IRONIC how our children cross the same path and how you guys were in the same towns/cities.

also the prospects of him working with Max in Sask

Where in Sask was he going?
HIs Dad was Max right?
So was he with him at all?

No Charles was not with his natural father Max A K Horvath, in Estavan Sask, they  only spoke by telephone, last call when Charles was already in Kelowna BC Canada.

Max mentioned that he may be able to get Charles a job where he was working in Estavan Saks Canada.

From the sounds of it, it seems like he had money with him on his trip.

Charles had little money, he would call home to say he was working and getting a pay check soon, or Mom can you send me some money.........

he did sadly b/s that his Mom was weathly etc etc and would romance about certain things in life.... he may have potraited that he had access to funds.......

Makes you wonder about some of the riff raff that always seems to hang around places where tourists hang out because they know they can steal from tourists and get away from it.

Charles was told by friends to 'tone it down'.  I guess he was unsure of himself and thought if he bragged about family finances etc at home in England, he may bemore accepted.

This was like in Banff.
Chalres did have his back pack and belonging stolen at the Bus Depot in Banff.

Anyway, I hope this gets solved one day Thank You.

I am sure someone out there knows something and I hope they will have the courage to speak up.
  I have been hoping and searching for 19 years.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »

I hope that after all these years of wondering, that somehow you get some answers.

'Charles' k j Horvath is very lucky in that he was loved, and to this day, has family who cares, and tries to get some kind of justice.Take care, and my thoughts are with you.

I wonder if he ran into trouble at the park. Where others were using his belongings?Why were they using his belongings? Did they know him?

Many young men have gone missing in Canada, lately, and that is not usual. I hope they find this creep, and if anyone knows, or saw, or witnessed anything come forward.

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
Ironically my team found a 'body'

You mean they found a different body?

YES - My team found the BODY @ 10.14am - the RCMP arrived ~ 10.17am after receiving the call from International Sea Search that they had located a body under the floating bridge where anonymous letter stated he had been dumped.

That is certainly strange.
I hope the RCMP took a close look at the guy who wrote the letter.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Friday 3 April 1992 a body was located under the floating bridge @ 10.14
Monday 6 April 1992 - the Press Release indicated that it was not the BODY of Charles Horvath.

A few days later the BODY was identified: a gentleman who had been in the Phsy Unit in the Kelowna General 7 years previously and had committed suicide.

search4charleshorvath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

I hope that after all these years of wondering, that somehow you get some answers.

'Charles' k j Horvath is very lucky in that he was loved, and to this day, has family who cares, and tries to get some kind of justice.Take care, and my thoughts are with you.

I wonder if he ran into trouble at the park. Where others were using his belongings?Why were they using his belongings? Did they know him?

Many young men have gone missing in Canada, lately, and that is not usual. I hope they find this creep, and if anyone knows, or saw, or witnessed anything come forward.

Thank you for your support and caring.

Yes Charles is deeply loved but sadly his precious Nana and his natural father Max A K Horvath have passed away during these past 2 years.

It was heartbreaking watching my Mom die not knowing the fate of her only grandson.  They adored oneanother.

His belongings were just taken and used.  No one advised the RCMP that Charles' belongings, private papers, personal items, tent etc were still there.  AND yes they did know Charles.

19 years on and his Mom is still searching and will continue to until we get the answer. 

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here